LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Media and the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CHAMBAZ:
They don't mean s**t, but it still is awesome seeing us at the top!

You could almost say we are Backontop
Originally posted by dj43:
Here is how I see it:

#1 Green Bay - obvious

#2 Steelers - beat a very good NE team. Worth giving them the spot based on strength of the team they beat today versus 49ers.

#3 New England - Losing to Steelers won't drop them much.

#4 49ers - Beating a very one-dimensional Cleveland team does not justify putting them ahead of NE who fought hard against a very tough opponent.

#5 Buffalo - With Saints losing and Baltimore struggling with a weak AZ team, the Bills take the spot with dominant 23-0 win.

#6 Baltimore - At least they won but they also gave up 27 to AZ. Lucky to be this high.

#7 NYG - Only other team with a legit claim to top 7

#8 New Orleans - Long drop for them but when you lose to an 0-6 team...

From here on down it gets muddy...

No way on the Giants. They have been really inconsistent and sucked against the Dolphins today. On the year, they only have a 174-164 edge in points. I'd say the 6-2 Lions have a more legit claim to top 7.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
He has a point. This is a passing league and the niners are a rushing offense. We need the passing game to improve if we expect to beat a team like greenbay come playoff time.

this makes no sense. Green Bay is a passing team so to beat them we need to stop them from passing the ball. what does our offense have to do with Green Bay's offense?

You would expect someone with that handle to understand a little more about football and matchups.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by putangina:
Some of you guys don't care about power rankings. That's fine! Don't be a hipster and tell people they're stupid for caring. Nobody likes hipsters. Besides, it's been almost a decade of suck. Let 'em have their fun. I never put much credence in these things back when we were good every year. But I admit, after so long it's actually kinda nice. Go ahead and continue not caring. But to avoid being douchey, don't click the link that says "POWER RANKINGS" if it annoys you.
Great post. I am always amazed at the number of people who supposedly don't care, but take the time to read a thread about power rankings and even post a reply to it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Here is how I see it:

#1 Green Bay - obvious

#2 Steelers - beat a very good NE team. Worth giving them the spot based on strength of the team they beat today versus 49ers.

#4 49ers - Beating a very one-dimensional Cleveland team does not justify putting them ahead of NE who fought hard against a very tough opponent.

#5 Buffalo - With Saints losing and Baltimore struggling with a weak AZ team, the Bills take the spot with dominant 23-0 win.

#6 Baltimore - At least they won but they also gave up 27 to AZ. Lucky to be this high.

I can see the logic of the Steelers, because they seem to be trending upwards, but we should still be #2. We have the second best W-L record, and we got there by being more consistent than the other teams. We have yet to have a bad game. We are a balanced team. We beat good teams both at home and the road. New England has a good passing offense, but their defense is weak. Brady has had too many multi-interception games. They don't deserve to be ranked higher than us.
Should be rated higher than NE, the only thing they do better than the niners is throw the ball. Niners have a better run game, a vastly better defense and better special teams. The only clear cut better team than the niners right now is Green Bay.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
ESPN has consistently under-rated us. Here is some research that I have done.

Week 2
49ers are ranked 22nd with 1-0 record. Only 2 other teams had 1-0 records that were ranked lower. 8 0-1 teams also had a higher ranking.

Week 3
49ers are ranked near the bottom of the 18 teams with a 1-1 record. They are ranked higher than only 2 1-1 teams, and 0-2 rams were also ranked higher than them.

Week 4
49ers are ranked 14 out of 15 2-1 teams. 3 teams with 1-2 records are ranked higher than us.

Week 5
Of the 11 3-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked dead last. 3 teams with 2-2 records are ranked higher.

Week 6
Of the 5 4-1 teams, 49ers are ranked last. 2 teams with poorer records are ranked higher (although Baltimore played one fewer game, so I can sort of understand that one)
Week 7
Of the 3 5-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked 2nd (they had to rank us higher than detroit since we just beat them). Baltimore with one fewer game is also ranked higher than us.

Week 8
Of the 2 5-1 teams, the 49ers are ranked last. One team with a poorer record is ranked above us.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
LOL power rankings

LOL, and yet you come into this thread and post. If power rankings don't matter to you then why even bother coming into the thread?

I bet we will be #2 in NFL and ESPN power polls.

IMO, I just find it kind of funny that for the past couple of years, everyone on here didnt give a s**t where they ranked us

Now that we have a 6-1 record, we cant wait for the power rankings to come out and use it as some sort of validation.

We are a good team, with some work to do. Don't need power rankings to see that
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
LOL power rankings

LOL, and yet you come into this thread and post. If power rankings don't matter to you then why even bother coming into the thread?

I bet we will be #2 in NFL and ESPN power polls.

IMO, I just find it kind of funny that for the past couple of years, everyone on here didnt give a s**t where they ranked us

Now that we have a 6-1 record, we cant wait for the power rankings to come out and use it as some sort of validation.

We are a good team, with some work to do. Don't need power rankings to see that

The rankings give the team more publicity and that's why I care about them. Plus it's just nice to see us up there.
Yeah, don't really matter. We're 6-1. Have the next 9 games to improve our passing attack. Then we are set for the playoffs.

Originally posted by walker807:
Should be rated higher than NE, the only thing they do better than the niners is throw the ball. Niners have a better run game, a vastly better defense and better special teams. The only clear cut better team than the niners right now is Green Bay.

Green Bay is not a clear cut better team than we are. They play terrible defense and have pretty poor special teams. They only have a better passing game, other than that aspect of the offense, we are all around better than them as a team. They have yet to play the toughest part of their schedule, I wish we could play them in the regular season to see how we match up. St Louis held them to 24 points and shut them down in the second half, and they have one of the worst defenses in football. GB is more hype than substance this year, their defense has fallen off hard.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Yeah, don't really matter. We're 6-1. Have the next 9 games to improve our passing attack. Then we are set for the playoffs.

wordddddddd. It seems like we can get in a groove, but if we lose that groove we run into a wall of problems it seems like. At least the cleveland game was showing that. Philly we got in a groove and soared to a win. But if we can keep our Consistency down in our passing attack and get a system together and Smith and Crabtree get on par with eachother we will be dominant.!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Green Bay is not a clear cut better team than we are. They play terrible defense and have pretty poor special teams. They only have a better passing game, other than that aspect of the offense, we are all around better than them as a team. They have yet to play the toughest part of their schedule, I wish we could play them in the regular season to see how we match up. St Louis held them to 24 points and shut them down in the second half, and they have one of the worst defenses in football. GB is more hype than substance this year, their defense has fallen off hard.

Don't forget their mostly cupcake schedule compared to the other top teams, and just in general..
  • dj43
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Here is how I see it:

#1 Green Bay - obvious

No way on the Giants. They have been really inconsistent and sucked against the Dolphins today. On the year, they only have a 174-164 edge in points. I'd say the 6-2 Lions have a more legit claim to top 7.

I would put the Lions #9. Stafford has been exposed along with the lack of a running game.

Also, this league has achieved the level of competitiveness (mediocrity?) it has sought for the last decade. The league office wants as many teams as possible to stay in the playoff race until the last weekend. That means there must be many teams that are very closely matched overall. I believe that applies in the top 10-12 teams. Other than Pittsburgh and Green Bay, I could make a case for any of the next 8-10 teams to be in just about any order you might want. All those teams have good areas of strength but also critical weaknesses that a good opponent can exploit. Not only the Giants struggled against a weak opponent, so did Baltimore, and Houston, and New Orleans. That is the NFL.
Originally posted by putangina:
Some of you guys don't care about power rankings. That's fine! Don't be a hipster and tell people they're stupid for caring. Nobody likes hipsters. Besides, it's been almost a decade of suck. Let 'em have their fun. I never put much credence in these things back when we were good every year. But I admit, after so long it's actually kinda nice. Go ahead and continue not caring. But to avoid being douchey, don't click the link that says "POWER RANKINGS" if it annoys you.

When the subject is constantly at the top of the page it's kinda hard to ignore.

It's like the Alex Smith thread I want to avoid it, but if that's all everyone else is talking about
Share 49ersWebzone