There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Back-up plan at QB?

Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I would Be very worried. VERY

Thanks for at least a serious response. I tried this 'controversial' post (if you really want to call it that) on Niner Talk to see if I could get some good feedback/thoughts with the trade deadline coming tomorrow...Baalke admitted today they looked at WR Lloyd to improve our depth there (which we need) and said they're always looking to improve at every position. Well, what's the most important position in the NFL? We know the answer to that. From the responses, or lack thereof, I've received here, it tells me many fans would just be comfortable having Kaep step in for Smith. Hopefully, that will never happen and Smith will stay healthy. It's just been nice in the past with the great Niner teams to have that sense of security, knowing that a quality and experienced (non-rookie) backup QB was ready to go if Montana or Young went down.
I would think if Smith went down for the IR next game (let's say first drive) that we would still make the playoffs. We are 5-1. I think we could go 5-5 in the last 10 games and win the NFC West easy. However, I don't think Kaep would be as good as Smith. I'm not hating on Kaep but he's a rookie who was drafted in the 2nd round. He looked horrible during the preason. I hope the kid would do well but let's be realistic. Replace Kaep for Smith during the Lions and we get killed. The same with Seatle in the first game where Smith was the offense.
Originally posted by taney71:
I would think if Smith went down for the IR next game (let's say first drive) that we would still make the playoffs. We are 5-1. I think we could go 5-5 in the last 10 games and win the NFC West easy. However, I don't think Kaep would be as good as Smith. I'm not hating on Kaep but he's a rookie who was drafted in the 2nd round. He looked horrible during the preason. I hope the kid would do well but let's be realistic. Replace Kaep for Smith during the Lions and we get killed. The same with Seatle in the first game where Smith was the offense.

Thanks for the well-thought response. Again, let's hope it never happens, but it could and has many times to the Niners in the past (like last year during the Carolina game). I just hope our team is prepared with the progress we're showing, the potential, etc. If Kaep is that answer as a backup at this point and Baalke believes in that, that's great and let's move on. Our D is just so good this year and could help take us far...they kept us in the Lions game when the O kept putting them back on the field.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It's not that you're new inherently, it's that this has been discussed as nausea before...

Don't you mean ad nauseum???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam
Ad nauseam is a Latin term used to describe an argument which has been continuing "to [the point of] nausea".[1] For example, the sentence, "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam", signifies that the topic in question has been discussed extensively, and that those involved in the discussion have grown tired of it.

Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
It's not that you're new inherently, it's that this has been discussed as nausea before...

Don't you mean ad nauseum???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_nauseam
Ad nauseam is a Latin term used to describe an argument which has been continuing "to [the point of] nausea".[1] For example, the sentence, "This topic has been discussed ad nauseam", signifies that the topic in question has been discussed extensively, and that those involved in the discussion have grown tired of it.

spelling recognition & attempted correction FAIL
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Thanks for the well-thought response. Again, let's hope it never happens, but it could and has many times to the Niners in the past (like last year during the Carolina game). I just hope our team is prepared with the progress we're showing, the potential, etc. If Kaep is that answer as a backup at this point and Baalke believes in that, that's great and let's move on. Our D is just so good this year and could help take us far...they kept us in the Lions game when the O kept putting them back on the field.

Agree. I do hope that if any player goes down that the 9ers can just continue on with their winning ways.
Alex supporters want to kill this thread.
Obviously!
But in all honesty if Alex Smith went on IR it would hurt this team for about a week or two.Yet It would allow Kap or Tolzien to prosper. I'm sure Kap can manage 17/32 125 yards 1td-1int. The 49ers will not win another ring this year because they are not ready. It's all about the ring. Harbaugh knows Alex is not the future of this team, it's why he called but a couple of passing plays after Alex threw his INT late in the game. Jim does not trust Alex and he knows Alex is not the future.I don't want a QB on this team that my spanking brand new head coach can't trust to open up the play-book too. I wish you Alex supporters understood this.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
kill this thread

Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Obviously!
But in all honesty if Alex Smith went on IR it would hurt this team for about a week or two.Yet It would allow Kap or Tolzien to prosper. I'm sure Kap can manage 17/32 125 yards 1td-1int. The 49ers will not win another ring this year because they are not ready. It's all about the ring. Harbaugh knows Alex is not the future of this team, it's why he called but a couple of passing plays after Alex threw his INT late in the game. Jim does not trust Alex and he knows Alex is not the future.I don't want a QB on this team that my spanking brand new head coach can't trust to open up the play-book too. I wish you Alex supporters understood this.

Re he he ally???? have you gone to the other thread and ate crow? come on you really think JH thinks that??? Thats redic.. If he thought that he wouldn't even brought him back..He thinks HE can win with Alex and sorry thats the future for your hate.. But for real he is 5-1 just threw the game winning TD on 4th down and it was clutch! HE did it last year too vs the aints but we didn't have a vic Defense to hold them. If you don't get it by know you never will.. Sometimes Its the coaches that makes the player and not the all the player that wins superbowls! Im not retarded Alex isnt a HOF super arm, throwing for 300 yards and 4tds like you want for your homer fantasy team.. BUT what ALEX IS, is a relentless, gutsy, tough, hard nosed, smart, clutch QB. Guess what THATS WHAT JIM HARBAUGH IS! I think HE Will keep him! Now pray that he doesn't go down!
[ Edited by SY9er8 on Oct 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM ]
PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD AND BAN HIM
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Obviously!

I'm a supporter of Alex Smith and I started this thread...actually, I'm a fan of the Niners and ANY QB they put out there. This is the wrong area to go into this topic, but the playbook was just introduced a few months ago to the whole team and they haven't had as much practice due to the lockout - that's a fact, and THAT'S why Harbaugh isn't opening up things more to this point (the "trust" issue only has so much to do with it as any QB needs time to pick up a complicated system as the West Coast offense). However, with each passing week and as the team picks up more of the playbook, things will gradually open up just that much more. Then, who knows what this team will be capable of with the way we're also playing on the defensive side of the ball.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Ban me? Have you read any/all of the posts behind this thread (besides just the title)? This thread poses a serious question as our team gets better and better. Yet if I've broken some Niner Talk rule, the Mods can go ahead and lock this. Again, not trying to create any 'negative vibes', which is what some people seem to be getting from just reading the title.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Thanks for at least a serious response. I tried this 'controversial' post (if you really want to call it that) on Niner Talk to see if I could get some good feedback/thoughts with the trade deadline coming tomorrow...Baalke admitted today they looked at WR Lloyd to improve our depth there (which we need) and said they're always looking to improve at every position. Well, what's the most important position in the NFL? We know the answer to that. From the responses, or lack thereof, I've received here, it tells me many fans would just be comfortable having Kaep step in for Smith. Hopefully, that will never happen and Smith will stay healthy. It's just been nice in the past with the great Niner teams to have that sense of security, knowing that a quality and experienced (non-rookie) backup QB was ready to go if Montana or Young went down.

We do have reason to be worried considering the shoulder problems alex has had, but at the same time you should keep in mind that the Kaepernick we saw in preseason isn't necessarily the guy we would see late in the season after learning way more of the playbook, hopefully improving his reads, not staring down receivers as much, ect. Smith didn't necessarily look good in his limited preseason time either.

Plus our QBs are basically just game managers right now, I'm sure tolzien or kaep could at least play that role if needed. Alex's 190 yds/game are not exactly unobtainable by a rookie.

Harbaugh is going to choose the best backups he can get and if those are rookies so be it, much better than the mcnabb or mccowns of the league. We definitely aren't wasting picks on someone elses mediocre starter like Orton when our philosophy has and will be to build by drafting and developing.

It's an issue most of us don't even want to think about. But I'm confident one of them would step up at the end of the year if that happens. If you think about it any team that loses its #1 qb doesn't expect to win the superbowl, we've got a big enough lead that we'd probably still at least make the playoffs lol.

If you asked me which I would rather have:
The backups from last year(troy and carr), or the backups from this year(tolzien and kaep), I'd much rather have the rookies. Any sort of veterans are going to be similar to troy and carr- used up busts who never were good period.
[ Edited by mike on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Because?
Originally posted by mike:

Plus our QBs are basically just game managers right now, I'm sure tolzien or kaep could at least play that role if needed. Alex's 190 yds/game are not exactly unobtainable by a rookie.

THIS!