There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vic Fangio's comment that it was the best defensive performance he's ever been a

Why do coaches always overreact and overexaggerate? It's like the boy who cried wolf, now when we REALLY turn in a stone cold DOMINANT defensive performance (something like shutting the opponent out and forcing 4-5+ turnovers) and Fangio says it's the best game he's been a part of, it won't mean as much because of what he said after a very nice but far from dominant performance. It wasn't even the best defensive performance of the last week. Tampa we easily played way better. Since when is allowing 2 TD's, 2 FG's (coulda been 3) and forcing no turnovers the best defensive performance in 25 years of coaching? Against Tampa, we forced multiple turnovers, and only allowed 3 points and that was without our starting nose tackle against a run-oriented team. Granted, Detroit's offense is more explosive, but Tampa had won 15 of its previous 23 games so they're no slouches. In fact, I don't even think yesterday's defensive performance was one of the top-3 of the season. I'd say quite possibly Tampa, Cincy, and Seattle were all better.
Yeah, I'm sure you're way more qualified than Fangio to say which performance was better.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Yeah, I'm sure you're way more qualified than Fangio to say which performance was better.

LOL. I'm not more qualified than Mike Martz to evaluate quarterbacks, doesn't mean I can't call foolish his statement that JT O'Sullivan was the best QB he ever coached. If you really think allowing 2 TD's, 2 FG's, and forcing no turnovers is actually the best defensive performance he's ever been a part of, you're bonkers. It was a very nice performance, but hardly as dominant as even the week before. Lest you also forget that this man was also a part of defensive performances such as the Dome Patrol in New Orleans, the BALTIMORE RAVENS from '06-'09, and not one, not two, but THREE shutouts pitched by Stanford last year. But ya, the 2 TD, 2 FG, 0 turnover masterpiece yesterday topped any performance by any of those previous squads. I like Vic, but he's CLEARLY way overexaggerating.
[ Edited by andes14 on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

This
Im sure u have studyed the game tapes of all of Fangios games as a def cord to come up with your conclusion
Have to look at the degree of difficulty of game planning against the Lions offense. We all know of the players they have. Vic's game plan was executed to near perfection by his defensive players. So to hear him say that was no surprised. Everyone that watched the game would agree too.

Not sure ...what's your deal
The difference between the Tampa Bay game and this one was that Tampa was playing sloppy. While it is fun to watch our defense dominate a sloppy team, it is much more impressive and exciting to watch them beat a team with lots of talent that is performing at a high level. The Lions were not playing sloppy, they were executing at a high level... but our defense *still* won most of the battles.
It was a helluva defensive performance. Playing one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league with a reciever who has been setting the league on fire for the past year and a half, on the road. Only sending 4 rushers a play and was still able to get 5 sacks and having Stafford under pressure all game. Our rookies played extremely well. Aldon is a beast, 2 sacks (one for a safety) 5 tackles i believe. And Culliver was on Megatron most of the game and did very well, considering CJ is damn near a 2 TD a game type of player right now. Safeties played well. And Bowman and Willis, well their play speaks for themselves. Bowman had 13 tackles and Willis was asked to cover one of the better TEs in the game in Pettigrew and deflected a TD and almost a second one but Petts made a great catch while catching Willis' arm as well.

Originally posted by stonecold590:
This
Im sure u have studyed the game tapes of all of Fangios games as a def cord to come up with your conclusion

Again, this man was also a part of defensive performances such as the Dome Patrol in New Orleans, the BALTIMORE RAVENS from '06-'09, and not one, not two, but THREE shutouts pitched by Stanford last year. Do you REALLY think the 2 TD, 2 FG, 0 turnover performance yesterday topped any performance by any of those previous squads? Also, like I said, is JTO>Kurt Warner just because Martz said he's the best QB he ever coached? Or is it ok to call that foolish even though he's more qualified to evaluate quarterbacks? According to you, JTO must really be better than Warner due to Martz's greater qualifications to evaluate QB's...
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
It was a helluva defensive performance. Playing one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league with a reciever who has been setting the league on fire for the past year and a half, on the road. Only sending 4 rushers a play and was still able to get 5 sacks and having Stafford under pressure all game. Our rookies played extremely well. Aldon is a beast, 2 sacks (one for a safety) 5 tackles i believe. And Culliver was on Megatron most of the game and did very well, considering CJ is damn near a 2 TD a game type of player right now. Safeties played well. And Bowman and Willis, well their play speaks for themselves. Bowman had 13 tackles and Willis was asked to cover one of the better TEs in the game in Pettigrew and deflected a TD and almost a second one but Petts made a great catch while catching Willis' arm as well.

It was a VERY nice defensive performance. I'm not saying it wasn't. But do you really think the Ravens never had a better defensive performance from '06-'09?
[ Edited by andes14 on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM ]
ugh...

2-15 on 3rd down conversions, a safety, 5 sacks, 9 passes defensed, and the biggest stat of them all 73 plays and only 310 yards, that's barely 4 yards a play, and it was done against an undefeated team with loads of talent on offense. you read way too much into the espn stats, just because we didn't shut them out or get like 5 picks, didn't mean it wasn't a great effort.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
ugh...

2-15 on 3rd down conversions, a safety, 5 sacks, 9 passes defensed, and the biggest stat of them all 73 plays and only 310 yards, that's barely 4 yards a play, and it was done against an undefeated team with loads of talent on offense. you read way too much into the espn stats, just because we didn't shut them out or get like 5 picks, didn't mean it wasn't a great effort.

5 picks? We didn't get ONE pick...but everyone is avoiding my main point. For some reason you guys don't realize that I get that it was a very nice performance. I never said it wasn't. But I want someone to come out and say they agree with Vic that the Ravens never played a better defensive game from '06-'09 (or Stanford and their THREE shut outs last year. Or the Dome Patrol.)
Originally posted by andes14:
ugh...

5 picks? We didn't get ONE pick...but everyone is avoiding my main point. For some reason you guys don't realize that I get that it was a very nice performance. I never said it wasn't. But I want someone to come out and say they agree with Vic that the Ravens never played a better defensive game from '06-'09 (or Stanford and their THREE shut outs last year. Or the Dome Patrol.)

We are talking about 1 game defensive performance right... not a string of them. Want to make that clear before I enter into this debate during the bye week.

Patrick Willis an ILB on a TE Pettigew in itself is good sh*t.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:08 PM ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
LOL. I'm not more qualified than Mike Martz to evaluate quarterbacks, doesn't mean I can't call foolish his statement that JT O'Sullivan was the best QB he ever coached. If you really think allowing 2 TD's, 2 FG's, and forcing no turnovers is actually the best defensive performance he's ever been a part of, you're bonkers. It was a very nice performance, but hardly as dominant as even the week before. Lest you also forget that this man was also a part of defensive performances such as the Dome Patrol in New Orleans, the BALTIMORE RAVENS from '06-'09, and not one, not two, but THREE shutouts pitched by Stanford last year. But ya, the 2 TD, 2 FG, 0 turnover masterpiece yesterday topped any performance by any of those previous squads. I like Vic, but he's CLEARLY way overexaggerating.
So if you get a ton of garbage turnovers against the seahawks or bucs that's a better defensive performance than completely shutting down one of the hotter offenses in the league especially in the redzone? We also sacked stafford 5 times including a safety and did force a fumble. Aldon should have had that pick.

Sure he's probably exaggerating but he's trying to emphasize how important this game was. But I still think you're looking at this too much from a scoresheet standpoint(shutouts, turnovers, ect) when you should be looking at it from the standpoint of "has Fangio's defenses ever faced such a big challenge as the 5-0 Lions and succeeded in shutting down their big time players?"

Shutting out college teams that are basically whole leagues below stanford in talent isn't that big of a deal...
ugh...

who really gives a s**t? its his opinion, he said it and if u disagree so be it.
Originally posted by mike:
So if you get a ton of garbage turnovers against the seahawks or bucs that's a better defensive performance than completely shutting down one of the hotter offenses in the league especially in the redzone? We also sacked stafford 5 times including a safety and did force a fumble. Aldon should have had that pick.

Sure he's probably exaggerating but he's trying to emphasize how important this game was. But I still think you're looking at this too much from a scoresheet standpoint(shutouts, turnovers, ect) when you should be looking at it from the standpoint of "has Fangio's defenses ever faced such a big challenge as the 5-0 Lions and succeeded in shutting down their big time players?"

Shutting out college teams that are basically whole leagues below stanford in talent isn't that big of a deal...

Rogers' INT against Tampa was not in garbage time. In fact, Harbaugh said that that was the play that propelled us to victory. Again, Fangio has been a part of defensive performance that were more superior in all those positive aspects you said. What about when they SHUT OUT Pittsburgh in '06 and sacked Roethlisberger NINE times and picked him off twice?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=261126033

Was that not a better defensive performance?

The Eagles had just as explosive an offense in '08, making it all the way to the NFC championship (also with Brian Westbrook giving them a dimension that the Detroit offense lacks). The Ravens held them to just 7 points and forced 5 turnovers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=281123033

How about allowing the same 2 TD's but no FG's to TOM BRADY and forcing FOUR turnovers from Brady in THEIR house in the PLAYOFFS.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300110017

I rest my case...
[ Edited by andes14 on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM ]