There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Great Article on Gore's Big Runs

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I love Frank as much as the next guy, but let's be real here....any RB in the NFL can run through some of the holes the line has created (and the coaches have schemed up) over the last 4 games. The difference is, many of those RBs would've taken at least a few of those to the house, which Frank is clearly not capable of doing at this stage of his career. When the holes weren't there earlier in the year and the o-line was still struggling to gain cohesion, people were talking about Frank being done, over-the-hill and a waste of roster space.

Now, all of a sudden, Frank is a world-beater again.

But is it that Frank needed a few games to get his legs back? Or is the offensive line/scheme creating running lanes that most of us on this board could run through?

Believe me, I'm not taking shots at Frank at all. I'm just trying to put things in to perspective and give credit where credit is due.

Did you read the part that Kendal Hunter had the same play and the same size hole but only had a 6 yard gain because he couldn't make the "free" tackler miss?

That was one play, and the kid is a rookie. Of course there are things that Gore has seen/done in this league that gives him a competitive advantage...it would be silly to think otherwise. But I wasn't comparing Hunter to Gore. I was merely pointing out that Gore's recent spike in production can be (mostly, but of course not all) directly attributed to better line play. That's not a knock on Frank, but to say other veteran RBs (andn plenty of rookies) couldn't do the same behind this line right now is also silly.

Likewise, when the line wasn't playing well, it wasn't Gore's fault that the running game was enemic. It all starts up front, and the RB is the beneficiary...what he does after he breaks the first/second levels though is what separates the good from the great RBs. And Frank just isn't able to do what he used to. Again, not a knock on him, just an observation of very obvious facts if you've been watching football for even a minute.

Don't confuse criticism/haterism with observation.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Did you read the part that Kendal Hunter had the same play and the same size hole but only had a 6 yard gain because he couldn't make the "free" tackler miss?

Couldn't have. Why anyone wants to take anything away from Gore is beyond me. When certain players do bad, it's all their fault. When they do well, everyone else gets the credit except that player. I'm seeing it with Gore now and definitely with Alex Smith this season.

Dude, grow up. Why does honest observation (rightly or wrongly) have to be viewed as "taking" something away from a player? Why can't I say, hey I love Frank Gore for everything he's done and for how he's playing now even though he's clearly not the same guy he's been, BUT LET'S GET REAL ABOUT THINGS!!!! The line sucked earlier in the year, and so did he (not all Frank's fault). The line is playing GREAT now and so is he (again, not ALL of Frank's doing).

You can't see the consistency there, and the lack of consistency that nut-huggers are displaying?

Btw, I was NOT a fan of Alex, never have been. I tolerated him and hoped he would eventually come around, but I had no real faith that he would. He has proved me wrong. However, he still has a long way to go in becoming a REAL playoff-caliber QB. Again, not a criticism, just an observation from someone who doesn't believe you have to be extreme either way (the HE SUCKS or NO DOESN'T, HE'S GOD mentality of NT).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Couldn't have. Why anyone wants to take anything away from Gore is beyond me. When certain players do bad, it's all their fault. When they do well, everyone else gets the credit except that player. I'm seeing it with Gore now and definitely with Alex Smith this season.

Dude, grow up. Why does honest observation (rightly or wrongly) have to be viewed as "taking" something away from a player? Why can't I say, hey I love Frank Gore for everything he's done and for how he's playing now even though he's clearly not the same guy he's been, BUT LET'S GET REAL ABOUT THINGS!!!! The line sucked earlier in the year, and so did he (not all Frank's fault). The line is playing GREAT now and so is he (again, not ALL of Frank's doing).

You can't see the consistency there, and the lack of consistency that nut-huggers are displaying?

Btw, I was NOT a fan of Alex, never have been. I tolerated him and hoped he would eventually come around, but I had no real faith that he would. He has proved me wrong. However, he still has a long way to go in becoming a REAL playoff-caliber QB. Again, not a criticism, just an observation from someone who doesn't believe you have to be extreme either way (the HE SUCKS or NO DOESN'T, HE'S GOD mentality of NT).
Its difficult for anyone to argue that the OL hasn't improved since the beginning of the season. Its as if a light went of for them at half time of the Philly game--and they haven't looked back.

In reality, the success is undoubtedly a product of the entire offense becoming more and more familiar with and more knowledgeable about the new offensive schemes. I believe they're going to continue to get better.

Its sure alot more fun to watch, too.
I love Frank as much as the next guy, but let's be real here....any RB in the NFL can run through some of the holes the line has created (and the coaches have schemed up) over the last 4 games. The difference is, many of those RBs would've taken at least a few of those to the house, which Frank is clearly not capable of doing at this stage of his career. When the holes weren't there earlier in the year and the o-line was still struggling to gain cohesion, people were talking about Frank being done, over-the-hill and a waste of roster space.

But is it that Frank needed a few games to get his legs back? Or is the offensive line/scheme creating running lanes that most of us on this board could run through?

Believe me, I'm not taking shots at Frank at all. I'm just trying to put things in to perspective and give credit where credit is due.

That was one play, and the kid is a rookie. Of course there are things that Gore has seen/done in this league that gives him a competitive advantage...it would be silly to think otherwise. But I wasn't comparing Hunter to Gore. I was merely pointing out that Gore's recent spike in production can be (mostly, but of course not all) directly attributed to better line play. That's not a knock on Frank, but to say other veteran RBs (andn plenty of rookies) couldn't do the same behind this line right now is also silly.

Likewise, when the line wasn't playing well, it wasn't Gore's fault that the running game was enemic. It all starts up front, and the RB is the beneficiary...what he does after he breaks the first/second levels though is what separates the good from the great RBs. And Frank just isn't able to do what he used to. Again, not a knock on him, just an observation of very obvious facts if you've been watching football for even a minute.

Yes but who knows if some backs average 5 ypc behind our improved line and better backs get 7 or 8 per carry. Gore is not just getting a solid average, he's fully exposing all running options AND making defenders miss.
Suh sucks lol
Originally posted by danimal:
Gore has been my favorite Niner for years, but damn does that boy have a 50 yard limit on him. Been like that his whole career, once he gets beyond 50 the gas just shuts off. Its kind of funny actually

and last year when he has 2 runs for over 80 yards for TD's against seattle?

Yes but who knows if some backs average 5 ypc behind our improved line and better backs get 7 or 8 per carry. Gore is not just getting a solid average, he's fully exposing all running options AND making defenders miss.

But that's not uncommon for RBs to do....in fact, it's their job. Again, not taking anything away from Frank for what he's doing now nor should anyone have been blaming him for the lack of production earlier. Just saying, when an o-line is playing as well as ours, it's not OVERLY difficult for a RB to see great production.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Oct 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM ]
If memory serves me correctly. I believe they used that same concept against philly. Don't know the formation they used in that game against the eagles. Now it seems to be getting alot of attention. Maybe they only use it against 4-man fronts.
[ Edited by insanemike27 on Oct 20, 2011 at 2:04 PM ]
Originally posted by insanemike27:
If memory serves me correctly. I believe they used that same concept against philly. Don't know the formation they used in that game against the eagles. Now it seems to be getting alot of attention. Maybe they only use it against 4-man fronts.

It was a little different. We had one TE VD crash on their wide DE and had the OT move up the the backer. In DET, their DT was so good, we crashed the outside double tight on the DT and let the OG move up to the backer.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
and last year when he has 2 runs for over 80 yards for TD's against seattle?

Shhh...

Don't bring that up. It doesn't fit into the "Gore is slow" theory.
  • THEB
  • Veteran

If gore had the top end speed then both of those runs would have been TDs. On one of the runs gore was long gone and then someone just caught up from behind him (pretty easily too) and got him. The other run the guy ran up and caught him at the 1 yard line. He does have that burst speed when he cuts and bursts through holes, but he gets gassed on the long run and gets caught up to.
[ Edited by THEB on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM ]

What separates the good and great running backs, is that good running backs break the first level and great running backs break the first and second level.

If the line gives him ANYTHING to work with, Gore has an amazing ability to break through an entire defense. There are only a handful of running backs in this league who can slice straight through a defense the way Gore can.
Originally posted by danimal:
Gore has been my favorite Niner for years, but damn does that boy have a 50 yard limit on him. Been like that his whole career, once he gets beyond 50 the gas just shuts off. Its kind of funny actually

Yeah, it's fine when we punch it in... gives the D more time to rest but for many years we would settle for field goals and that's how you lose games. A big play like that has to lead to a TD when you are getting stopped inside the 5.

His two biggest knocks have always been breakaway speed and fumbling.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM ]
i hate bill simmons aka grantland
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Once Hunter learns, if at all, that he doesn't need to run full speed until the final "burst" cut, then he will see why Gore never needs to studder step to slow down. Inexperienced players or players who never get it never understand that you rarely need to run full speed during the developing phases of a play.

Aint that the truth! In one of his long plays, he actually looks to stop in the backfield. I thought he was going to get tackled, but he was just waiting to let the play develop. When it did, he turned it on and went for 40 plus yards......Great, great, great, vision and patience.

Yeah, that was my favorite one. He was playing peek-a-boo, parked himself....crouched in behind the scrum on the edge, waited for it to develop down field and then took off. That was some BAD ASS s**t. Excellent vision, patience....just waiting, hiding out...then let er' rip. Pure BAD ASS.