LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

How good CAN we be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Honestly, a shot at the no. 1 seed is not out of the question. The interesting thing is, we may have already seen the "worse" of this team. The passing game will get better with Edwards in the line-up and this will give teams too much to worry about. I hope we do go for the number 1 seed, not only because I want us to win, but because I do not want to deal with the prospect of playing Green Bay on the road. The remaining games will be interesting to watch how much the offense will be even more potent with the addition of Braylon.

I agree with the thought that we probably have seen the worst of this team. The solution to improving our passing attack is simply time.
If we can go on the road to the east coast and beat a 5-0 team who matched up VERY favorably to our weaknesses (pass defense and pass protection), and pull out a win despite being down by 10 early, I think we have a chance to beat any team in the NFL this year.

I can't wait for a whole offseason with a chance to really shape this team to the way Harbs would like. Next year, watch out!!
Originally posted by Joecool:
Do we really need to "open" up the offense? What we need to do is make sure the plays we run that hit the weakness of THAT week's opponent to perfection and that's about it.

I think "opening up the offense" is over rated. This league is all about coaches putting together a CORRECT game plan and the players executing that to perfection.

A lot of teams that "open up" their offense, I think, are over rated and one-dimensional.

Truer words have never been spoken.

________________________________________________This part I know you'll disagree with______________________________________________

The only thing that can hold this team back is .....are you ready.............ALEX SMITH (imagine a few echos)

I've rewatched the game twice now and he was just horrible. If we want to beat elite (not good) teams, he will have to play like he did the two weeks before. I was really suprised at how bad he regressed last in Detriot. I hope it's not the pressure of winning that's getting to him. Oh well, time will tell.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
49ers will have 1st Round Bye

will Play at Home vs _______ and Win

WIll loose Vs__________ at the Conference game

12-4 is realistic since we still have five games yet to place in the NFC West alone. But I can see us going as far as the NFC Championship game against most likely the Packers before getting eliminated in a close game.

Then Balke and Harbaugh get back to work. Maybe not this year, but I am starting to think that a Lombardi is on the horizon.
Alex will be just fine! After they bye and some much needed recoop time! Get back to earth after a nice no great start to the seasson. One game at a time people braylon will be back. Hopefully crabs gets a full week of non limited practice before the browns. Bring on the browns
Originally posted by father49er:
Teams we beat:
CIN: now 4-2
TB: now 4-2
DET: now 5-1

Damn!

And we dismantled TB - the team I thought we have the toughest time beating. This team is very good.

Also the team that just beat saints.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
You know, i'm excited to see what this team will do this season and it's been a loooooong time since i've been able to say that after week 6. I'm excited for this season... But i'm even more excited for the future seasons. Full offseason, training camp, Harbaugh now knows exactly what he has on this team and what we need... I just can't see what he shapes us into. Who he decides to keep, where he upgrades us, the free agent pickups, the next draft. Everything. If he can make this team look like this in the short amount of time he had, i'm excited to see where we are in the next 3 years.

Agree. I think this team can do some good things this season and can't wait to enjoy the ride.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we can go as far as Alex takes us. We have an eliite defense, but if the offensive can average 15-20 pts per game, we should be in the hunt.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:13 AM ]
We don't need an elite offense to compete. We need the offense to get some first downs and move the ball. If we don't commit turnovers or go 3 and out then our ST and D become a factor as seen in the DET game.

15-20 points a game sounds about right if the D keeps this up. That isn't a SB formula but we can compete with anybody and might get lucky. All it takes is one CLUTCH TD if the game is kept close.

However, if Alex does step up and our offense puts up more than 20 we can do some serious damage.

You think our D looks scary now? Wait until we have a big lead and Fangio turns the dogs loose to focus on nothing but taking down the QB!!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Do we really need to "open" up the offense? What we need to do is make sure the plays we run that hit the weakness of THAT week's opponent to perfection and that's about it.

I think "opening up the offense" is over rated. This league is all about coaches putting together a CORRECT game plan and the players executing that to perfection.

A lot of teams that "open up" their offense, I think, are over rated and one-dimensional.

________________________________________________This part I know you'll disagree with______________________________________________

The only thing that can hold this team back is .....are you ready.............ALEX SMITH (imagine a few echos)

I've rewatched the game twice now and he was just horrible. If we want to beat elite (not good) teams, he will have to play like he did the two weeks before. I was really suprised at how bad he regressed last in Detriot. I hope it's not the pressure of winning that's getting to him. Oh well, time will tell.

Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
We don't need an elite offense to compete. We need the offense to get some first downs and move the ball. If we don't commit turnovers or go 3 and out then our ST and D become a factor as seen in the DET game.

15-20 points a game sounds about right if the D keeps this up. That isn't a SB formula but we can compete with anybody and might get lucky. All it takes is one CLUTCH TD if the game is kept close.

However, if Alex does step up and our offense puts up more than 20 we can do some serious damage.

You think our D looks scary now? Wait until we have a big lead and Fangio turns the dogs loose to focus on nothing but taking down the QB!!

This formula works against every team in the league except GB and NE. Our defense is good, really good, but Rodgers and Brady are playing at a HOF level. The road to a SB victory likely goes through at least one of the two, and in order to beat them, we need to be able to put up some points.

So yes, our success does depend largely on Alex. His performance in the Detroit game was absolutely less than stellar, but in the end he came through with the one throw he had to make. This says a lot about his character, as does the fact that he's overall performed at a relatively high level this season after having his ego dragged through sh!t over the last 6 years. Harbaugh has just begun with him. Once Alex can prove to himself that he CAN overcome and he IS in control, we'll see a lot fewer bad outings. With Alex, it's all about confidence. You can feel it watching him. He's shown he has the physical and mental tools. Over the remainder of the season, with Harbaugh by his side, I expect to see him mature in leaps and bounds. And come playoff time, I expect we'll have a legitimate shot.

The future is looking brighter and brighter.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we can go as far as Alex takes us. We have an eliite defense, but if the offensive can average 15-20 pts per game, we should be in the hunt.

The team is averaging 27 points a game, and has played some of the tougher defenses already.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

He didn't play that bad, some of those incompletions were intentional, there were at least three drops, one a sure touchdown. The Crabtree pass that he couldn't get his feet down on I am not putting on either player. But that game winning throw was as clutch as any throw made by any qb in any non playoff game. The game wasn't as bad as some seem to think. Especially when you consider VD spent most of the day blocking and our top two receivers were out.
The skies the limit considering we will keep improvong and getting healthy after the bye wk is inevitable! Our offense will continue to improve!
  • buck
  • Veteran
The immediate problem the team faces is to focus on and win the next game.

Avoiding the hype generated by the media and fans is the next problem.
Share 49ersWebzone