There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How about that Bruce Miller

Yeah because he makes our I formation a lot more effective. He can actually go out for a pass unlike Norris, and he's better in pass pro AND run blocking. To sum it up he's basically better than Norris in every facet of the game. Defenses have to account for him and he doesn't screw up.
To be honest, Im surprised Harbaugh kept Norris around this long....probably franks request
I really hoped to see Peele again, in Miller's place. I didn't think the run game missed that much of a beat when he was in there as full back.
Well Norris is a big downgrade. Just like Chilo is a big downgrade. So he effects things. Yes.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well Norris is a big downgrade. Just like Chilo is a big downgrade. So he effects things. Yes.

agreed
Hard to believe, but Miller is a key ingredient to our winning...esp QB blocking and being open on a fouled up pass play
I agree, he does alot of things that norris cant do....like run with speed. Also being an ex-defensive end he hits the hole with a mean streak and often block more than one player. Also hes more effective on sweep plays because he is actually able to get out and run in front and block. With norris, once the play hits the LOS if he hasnt touched anyone yet, he probably wont do so. Miller is just more athletic and offers more offensively. Also how many fullbacks can run a wheel route and catch a touchdown like he did against the foreskins?
We watched the answer to this question on Thursday night. Gore was a different runner without Miller and the pass protection caved in...... In fairness to Norris, when was the last time he was on the field? Was it rust or is he done? I really don't want to know. I just hope Miller gets well and returns to the field........
I dont know if I think he is key. I think he is a good contributor and getting better. But Norris and Rachal in together is too much. IMO.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
We watched the answer to this question on Thursday night. Gore was a different runner without Miller and the pass protection caved in...... In fairness to Norris, when was the last time he was on the field? Was it rust or is he done? I really don't want to know. I just hope Miller gets well and returns to the field........

Its just hard to be the kind of fullback he is for a long period of time. Remember Fred Beasley? He was a big pounding fullback and his body just broke down. Same
thing to Norris. Hes just breaking down after years of pounding into lineman and linebackers
I need to watch the game again but I think Synder was a bigger loss than Miller, but Miller is a big part of the offense. The combination of both being out of the game is a killer though. I do think that they needed to run quicker plays, and use Kyle Williams more because Braylon is not in Sync with Alex.
Originally posted by ninersfan23:
Originally posted by kemp_j:

Its just hard to be the kind of fullback he is for a long period of time. Remember Fred Beasley? He was a big pounding fullback and his body just broke down. Same
thing to Norris. Hes just breaking down after years of pounding into lineman and linebackers

Good point, I think your'e right about Norris. There was a time when he made a difference but he may be worn out now.
I forgot about Beasely. I think he went to Miami, but I don't here about him at all now.
The shelf life for Fullbacks is probably shorter than running backs.........
[ Edited by kemp_j on Nov 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I would say he bring confidence to the offense. Could we win without him? Sure. Although I think for the limited development that they have had he is necessary right now.
The key to the offense is not having any injuries to the starters. I don't think the 49ers have enough depth at a lot of key positions to overcome injuries to those players when playing against the better teams in the NFL. Look what happened against the Ravens when Snyder and Miller were not in the game. An offensive line is like a chain, only as strong as it's weakest link. And Rachal is a weak link. I know the Ravens were without Ray Lewis but he pretty much psyched up his defense before the game and they definitely had a home field advantage with that crowd as well. The good news is that the 49ers should be adding depth in the next few years to stay competitive. Good times ahead even if we lose in the playoffs this year.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
The key to the offense is not having any injuries to the starters. I don't think the 49ers have enough depth at a lot of key positions to overcome injuries to those players when playing against the better teams in the NFL. Look what happened against the Ravens when Snyder and Miller were not in the game. An offensive line is like a chain, only as strong as it's weakest link. And Rachal is a weak link. I know the Ravens were without Ray Lewis but he pretty much psyched up his defense before the game and they definitely had a home field advantage with that crowd as well. The good news is that the 49ers should be adding depth in the next few years to stay competitive. Good times ahead even if we lose in the playoffs this year.

Good point. Lets not forget how bad we were not that long ago. Depth takes a bit of time to assemble.