LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Who stays and who goes....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Simplest just to say, sack all the O coaching staff with the possible exception of Tom Rathman.

Theres no possible about it. Rathman stays.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Here are numbers....Cap is expected to be close to $140 million -- could be higher but last report was that number....According to overthecap.com the Top 51 number for 2015 is $147,766.XX million so we'd have to drop roughly $8 million plus just to be under the cap.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers -- link to OTC.

Then there is this SBNation article from 3 weeks ago that says we need to drop $9 million plus because they provide a specific cap ceiling of $138 million...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/11/7376451/nfl-salary-cap-nflpa-2015

If they cut Brooks with a Post-June 1st designation, the team saves $7.3 million (this move seems inevitable)

If they cut Vernon it would result in a savings of $4.9 million (move is possible but I'd still say unlikely, maybe a new HC would influence this?)

I'm no salary genius so I'm not sure how it would impact the cap if Justin retires but lets say it is the same as being cut, 9ers would save $4.2 million without his contract on the books.

If all 3 moves happen, the team would be just a bit more than $16 million under the cap. I also expect to see Stevie's contract extended/restructured and have his cap number of $6 million drop quite a bit to free up a bit of room as well.

I could also see any one or more of Bethea, Boldin, or Anthony Davis restructuring their contracts to free up room -- Davis seems to be the most likely, with Bethea next then Boldin.

Those moves in mind I really don't see us being able to retain Iupati or Crabtree (do we want to? ), because that is all very high estimation of the values and chances. I expect us to spend a chunk of it keeping the secondary together more than anything.

I believe this is going to be a year of let everyone walk, we've got backups waiting in the wings and just reload in the draft with probably 1 free agency signing. I didn't research how Ray McDonald affected the numbers because overthecap already has him removed from the table and under dead money; though I think their values are still correct.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 1, 2015 at 12:31 AM ]
Iupati goes
Crab goes
Brooks goes
Cully or cox One of the two goes but hopefully both can stay cox is great as a cb as slot, one of the best in the nfl

That seems like it. We may need a speed wr and I feel josh Gordon although a troublemaker and an a*****e, would be enough to put the offense over the top and win a sb. Our backup d is already sb caliber so starting defense can win it for us as long as the offense is 15-20th like seattles
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by WINiner:
There are better 3-4 DC's than Fangio unemployed atm.

Name's, or you're talking out of your a**

Wade Phillips
Originally posted by Empire49:
There are better 3-4 DC's than Fangio unemployed atm.

LMAO

Come on.

Not joking
Wade Phillips

Better then Fangio?? Ur Triping
Originally posted by wilcher:
Offense:
Iupati: He goes. He will get huge money on his next contract. Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin will battle for his spot (if Kilgore beats Martin out at C).
Crabtree: He goes. His subpar season will not demand huge money, but think back to his rookie contract...He wanted more than he was worth then too.
V. Davis: He goes. Trade him if possible. One of the biggest fall offs in performance (specifically run blocking) I can remember.
Gore: He stays. Hyde becomes feature back and Gore has a role.

Defense:
J. Smith: He goes (I am hoping for reverse psychology and that he won't retire).
Brooks: He goes. Trade or release he needs to go.
Culliver: He stays. He will probably get slightly overpaid but we need his size and skill set.
Cox: He stays. He misses a tackle now and then but he is very solid. If he wants Culliver money then he goes.

Assistant Coaches:
Roman: He goes. Can't get TE's the ball and couldn't teach Kaep to read the pass rush protections.
Fangio: He stays. If we get an offensive minded HC then why get rid of this scheme? If he goes be prepared to switch to a 4-3.
Tomsula: He stays. This guy has been a great coach going back to his NFL Europe days.

If Gore signs which I hope he does he is still the feature.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by wilcher:
Offense:
Iupati: He goes. He will get huge money on his next contract. Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin will battle for his spot (if Kilgore beats Martin out at C).
Crabtree: He goes. His subpar season will not demand huge money, but think back to his rookie contract...He wanted more than he was worth then too.
V. Davis: He goes. Trade him if possible. One of the biggest fall offs in performance (specifically run blocking) I can remember.
Gore: He stays. Hyde becomes feature back and Gore has a role.

Defense:
J. Smith: He goes (I am hoping for reverse psychology and that he won't retire).
Brooks: He goes. Trade or release he needs to go.
Culliver: He stays. He will probably get slightly overpaid but we need his size and skill set.
Cox: He stays. He misses a tackle now and then but he is very solid. If he wants Culliver money then he goes.

Assistant Coaches:
Roman: He goes. Can't get TE's the ball and couldn't teach Kaep to read the pass rush protections.
Fangio: He stays. If we get an offensive minded HC then why get rid of this scheme? If he goes be prepared to switch to a 4-3.
Tomsula: He stays. This guy has been a great coach going back to his NFL Europe days.

I think VD stays. This year was just bad all around for the offense - and multiple players have blamed scheme. Hard to believe everybody started sucking at the same time.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Some other folks are saying those numbers I posted are off which is probably true but we're probably still going to be over the cap by about 4-5 million
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Wade Phillips

Better then Fangio?? Ur Triping

Hes never had a defense ranked worse than 5th. His resume is far superior to Vics. Take off the homer glasses.

Originally posted by sfout:
Some other folks are saying those numbers I posted are off which is probably true but we're probably still going to be over the cap by about 4-5 million

Should have traded Ahmad Brooks when we had the chance but Jim said we needed Ahmad Brooks around in order to win a championship. SMH
I don't think it was Kap to be honest. His completion percentage was actually higher and he threw for more yards. Granted, he attempted more passes but VD was running routes at half speed all season long. I truly hope it was mainly due to being hurt and not his lack of effort.

Culliver>Cox even though he may be a bit more expensive.

Iupati goes since we won't be paying 8-10 million a year for a guard.

Crabs goes as he didn't like his role this year and he will probably sign a one year deal with a pass happy team.

The Cowboy returns for one more season.

VD stays for at least one more year.

Brooks is a no brainer release.

Gore signs a two year six million deal to finish his career here.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
I don't think it was Kap to be honest. His completion percentage was actually higher and he threw for more yards. Granted, he attempted more passes but VD was running routes at half speed all season long. I truly hope it was mainly due to being hurt and not his lack of effort.

Culliver>Cox even though he may be a bit more expensive.

Iupati goes since we won't be paying 8-10 million a year for a guard.

Crabs goes as he didn't like his role this year and he will probably sign a one year deal with a pass happy team.

The Cowboy returns for one more season.

VD stays for at least one more year.

Brooks is a no brainer release.

Gore signs a two year six million deal to finish his career here.
Not sure I agree with the Culliver> Cox. both played well but Cox was better all season and can also play the slot very well as he did against Greenbay.
Cox was NOT better all season don't be fooled. He started out the season better but Cully ended up clearly having the better year. Cox allowed nearly 300 more yards than him which is telling.
Originally posted by sfout:
Here are numbers....Cap is expected to be close to $140 million -- could be higher but last report was that number....According to overthecap.com the Top 51 number for 2015 is $147,766.XX million so we'd have to drop roughly $8 million plus just to be under the cap.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers -- link to OTC.

Then there is this SBNation article from 3 weeks ago that says we need to drop $9 million plus because they provide a specific cap ceiling of $138 million...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/11/7376451/nfl-salary-cap-nflpa-2015

If they cut Brooks with a Post-June 1st designation, the team saves $7.3 million (this move seems inevitable)

If they cut Vernon it would result in a savings of $4.9 million (move is possible but I'd still say unlikely, maybe a new HC would influence this?)

I'm no salary genius so I'm not sure how it would impact the cap if Justin retires but lets say it is the same as being cut, 9ers would save $4.2 million without his contract on the books.

If all 3 moves happen, the team would be just a bit more than $16 million under the cap. I also expect to see Stevie's contract extended/restructured and have his cap number of $6 million drop quite a bit to free up a bit of room as well.

I could also see any one or more of Bethea, Boldin, or Anthony Davis restructuring their contracts to free up room -- Davis seems to be the most likely, with Bethea next then Boldin.

Those moves in mind I really don't see us being able to retain Iupati or Crabtree (do we want to? ), because that is all very high estimation of the values and chances. I expect us to spend a chunk of it keeping the secondary together more than anything.

I believe this is going to be a year of let everyone walk, we've got backups waiting in the wings and just reload in the draft with probably 1 free agency signing. I didn't research how Ray McDonald affected the numbers because overthecap already has him removed from the table and under dead money; though I think their values are still correct.

OTCs numbers are the best out there IMO, so Jason Fitzgerald is spot on right now. Definitely my favorite site for salary cap for the NFL.

Justin Smith retirement would save about $4.25M in cap room.

I don't see Boldin or Anthony Davis restructuring, mainly due to adding more dead money into future years. Boldin's deal alsready voided, so he is no longer signed through 2018, he is signed through just 2015, so that would add more dead money to 2016 when the rest of his bonus would be dead money. I wasn't a fan of the deal that way, I wish they just did a 2yr deal, not a 5yr deal that voided.

Bethea probably doesn't either, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Share 49ersWebzone