There are 272 users in the forums

Alex Smith Total QBR for week 6: 10.3

Shop Find 49ers gear online
just good enough to come in second to last beating out rex grossman 9.4

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/28952/highs-and-lows-for-week-6-total-qbr

what a joke.

cam newton comes in at 80.6 with a losing effort

well let me edit this so you understand what im trying to say.
the total qbr rating is a joke, it places too much emphasis on rushing stats for a qb and thus devaluing the true quarterback.
[ Edited by schmons on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM ]
I mean, if you were going to design a QB rating system, what would you want it to spit out in a game with a fumble, a pick, a low completion %, and very low yardage?

Just because he threw a game-winning TD to salvage a bad statistical game doesn't mean it wasn't a bad statistical game.
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:19 AM ]
Like Lieut said, statistically, Alex didn't have a good game. But he made the play that won the game.

THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.
I also want to add that Smith missed a lot of open WRs, threw his pick at a terrible time, and his game-winning "drive" was about 95% RBs.

I've been all over his jock for 2+ weeks, but this is what I saw today.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I mean, if you were going to design a QB rating system, what would you want it to spit out in a game with a fumble, a pick, a low completion %, and very low yardage?

Just because he threw a game-winning TD to salvage a bad statistical game doesn't mean it wasn't a bad statistical game.

QFT.
I also want to add that Smith missed a lot of open WRs, threw his pick at a terrible time, and his game-winning "drive" was about 95% RBs.

well then you should be fair and include delanie's dropped TD. but yes, he didn't play great. all that matters is that W.

please keep in mind however that it was a TOUGH ROAD GAME, brady played bad at home but like smith delivered when it mattered the MOST

Smith was solid if not spectacular in the 1st half...he put perfect touch on a pass downfield along the sideline that crabtree let go through his hands....he put the ball in walker's hands in the end zone in 3rd quarter but it was dropped...he threaded the pass to crabtree along sideline that was incomplete when crabs came downwith only 1 leg (twice)..the long pass in end zone to ginn is probably a td if ted doesnt stumble

the pass rush got to smith in 2nd half, he wasnt setting his feet and his passes were sailing...but he rebounded from the pick and threw a CLUTCH winning score to hubert delanie walker...i could give a rip what his qb rating was
[ Edited by hofer36 on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
We don't need Alex Smith to play well every week. That's not who we are. We need to minimize turnovers, run the ball, and allow our NFL best defense to shut teams down.
Originally posted by hofer36:

Smith was solid if not spectacular in the 1st half...he put perfect touch on a pass downfield along the sideline that crabtree let go through his hands....he put the ball in walker's hands in the end zone in 3rd quarter but it was dropped...he threaded the pass to crabtree along sideline that was incomplete when crabs came downwith only 1 leg (twice)..the long pass in end zone to ginn is probably a td if ted doesnt stumble

the pass rush got to smith in 2nd half, he wasnt setting his feet and his passes were sailing...but he rebounded from the pick and threw a CLUTCH winning score to hubert delanie walker...i could give a rip what his qb rating was
Well stated, as those are pretty fair points.
stats mean nothing if you dont win the game. when it meant the most, Smith came through. period.

Please guys, stop posting that QBR crap. It's a failed ESPN stat that they're trying to shove down our throats

We know what we have with Alex, we don't need reassurance with this
Originally posted by YungAce:
Please guys, stop posting that QBR crap. It's a failed ESPN stat that they're trying to shove down our throats

This all day.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Originally posted by YungAce:

This all day.
Point 1: The first time I saw reggie bush play I thought he'd be a prototypical NFL receiver. He'd be a good sized wide-out, good hands, body control, stretch-the field speed and the knack for the big play. He is dynamic. However he's been masquerading as a running back since high school.
Point 2: Interestingly the first time I saw Alex Smith on film he was throwing a deap seam TD pass in high school.... to Reggie Bush...
Point 3: Reggie Bush is going nowhere on Miami's team. They aren't going to turn it around, and he's still young enough to be a part of a contender, but too old to rebuild around. I honestly think he's also primed to transition to wideout... its simply obvious he's not that effective as a between the tackles runner. Miami can deal him for some value (for his kick return/dynamic ability alone) and get more picks to rebuild.
Point 4: Braylon Edwards is a nice #2 WR... he's not a world beater. Without Josh Morgan the depth is not as talented, even when Edwards returns... The fact that 49er brass is even letting rumors abound that they are interested in Brandon Lloyd says they're desperate for a wideout. Crabtree should evolve into a #1 NFL wideout quickly as this team tastes success (as long as he's healthy). But I think they are missing the home-run hitter. The guy who can take a slant, slip a few tackles and go 80 yards running away from people for a td...
Point 5: The niners need Ted Ginn KR Insurance. The Ted Ginn PR/KR has been HUGE this year.
Point 6: Jim Harbaugh seems to be the kind of coach that gets you motivated and focused and playing to your current ceiling and wanting to break it.

Conclusion: Why not take a chance on acquiring Bush? Wouldn't the comfort of Bush (smith's high school teammate) running a nice easy drag route when he's under pressure, or breaking a route off to the corner of the end zone when smith scrambles from the pocket, give Smith a little more confidence in his throws than he's already surprisingly displaying? His QBR would be always padded and maintained by the high percentage comfort pass to an excellent athlete with big-play potential. 2-3 years learning to be a wide-out and he could be great. Add him to a 1-Crabtree, 2-Edwards,3-Bush*, 4Ginn depth chart and you have styles complementing as a perfect 4 receiver squad. The "all-around go to," the "tall spectacular catch mismatch," the "slip a tackle and take it to the house, I moonlight as a running back," and the "I'm-so-straight-line-fast-my-jukes-are-scary field stretcher." Next year you have Morgan back if you can't retain Ginn or Edwards or either. Something tells me those involved this year will want to be back. Go help Alex a little more; with Gore/Hunter and the running game, Davis/Walker and their versatility, and the current 3 wideouts, I think Reggie Bush could be the aggressive x-factor taking 49ers to the top. The d is legit. They just need to make 5 BIG plays a game as a team and not turn the ball over... I know this won't happen... But somebody PLEASE tell me why it won't... why Smith's QBR will be lower than it could be, and why no-one permanently switches Reggie Bush to wide receiver...Dude would be good.
Like I have said previously, ESPN QBR strangely don't favor come-from-behind TDs. It's a plot to remove Montana from the top of the list of all-time QBs, in a way.
[ Edited by fastforward on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone