There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Culliver > Peterson

Culliver > Peterson

Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Good points "NoOffseason!" You dont post often, but you got some nice insight.

Thanks, I really appreciate that

Btw, I actually looked up and the Cardinals actually have 11 sacks until now, which is middle-of-the-pack-ish. But to be honest, eight of those came against Cam Newton in his NFL debut and Tavaris Jackson, so I would still concur that the Cardinals do not actually have a pass rush yet

I still think Peterson might develop into a good corner, he is just in a really tough spot right now and I hope his struggling defense is not shaking his confidence permanently. We will see about him, but I think we will have to wait on real progress for him until next season or so.

But Culliver is really doing great so far, he had a limited (I think it was only a few snaps, right?) start against the Eagles, showed good things against Tampa, but now, battling with a red-hot Calvin Johnson and not only coming away not getting embarrassed, but holding up well against him? Mighty impressive in my opinion

The really nice part? Even if he hits the rookie wall later in the season, his play gives us the luxury to take it slow with Spencer in his injury recovery, so if Culliver really starts to struggle, we still have an experienced Corner we can call up if needed. That kind of depth is really nice to have, especially late in the season

I have to second that , two nice posts.

I'll take the combination of Aldon Smith and Culliver any day over Peterson.
CULLY MAN!
I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. I love and am happy the way Culliver is contributing as a rookie third round pick despite short training camp. Many overlooked him because of his lack of playing time at CB and he may become like Ronnie Lott, going from a Safety in college to CB in pros back to safety. However, to compare the two at this stage would be presumptuous.

Culliver isn't a starting conerback and plus he has a better supporting cast. When Arizona gave up one of their starters at CBand a 2nd for Kolb, that put a lot of pressure on PP. Who is to say PP wouldn't have done better than Culliver if he were in the niner's scheme. Who is to say that Culliver is being used more properly and coached better than the cards are with PP.

We'll see in about three years.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. I love and am happy the way Culliver is contributing as a rookie third round pick despite short training camp. Many overlooked him because of his lack of playing time at CB and he may become like Ronnie Lott, going from a Safety in college to CB in pros back to safety. However, to compare the two at this stage would be presumptuous.

Culliver isn't a starting conerback and plus he has a better supporting cast. When Arizona gave up one of their starters at CBand a 2nd for Kolb, that put a lot of pressure on PP. Who is to say PP wouldn't have done better than Culliver if he were in the niner's scheme. Who is to say that Culliver is being used more properly and coached better than the cards are with PP.

We'll see in about three years.

Three years? PP was supposed to be a "shutdown" cornerback. The safest pick, and probably the most talented player in the draft. A "difference maker".

If anything, he should be compared to Aldon Smith; now THAT is a difference maker.
Originally posted by schmons:
its seems like harbaugh and co. can't do anything wrong at this point! except for not taking the points off the board against dallas and taking the penalty instead lol

i'm scared to see what will happen when we find ourselves in adversity.
when I was watching the Bucs game, I kind of got the impression the Bucs were afraid to challenge Culliver

It's nice to have some upside in the secondary ..good draft pick by our boys in the front office
Watched pretty much every LSU game, and wanted PP7 on our team. No question though, kid has been struggling with the NFL.

Definitely too early to tell how things will go, but I must say, I am delighted with the promise shown so far by Culliver. I think he has a chance to be every bit as good (or better?) than PP7. Maybe PP7 would be doing as well or better with Vic Fangio and our defense... just can't say.

Go Cully and the Niners !!!
I haven't seen enough of the Cardinals to give a real unbiased answer.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Hard to compare, PP starts and plays a lot, Culliver is a spot player. It's easier to look good in small doses. That being said, PP has played pretty poorly. He's a rook, but that's one position you can come in and play well, look at Haden. The last time I remember a guy so roundly called the safest in the draft, it was Aaron Curry. Hope they follow similar paths.
There is a reason Peterson went #5.

That is all.

I love Cully and he's been an excellent surprise. However, there is also a reason he was picked in the third with many grading him lower. Most didn't even know about Cully. Great scouting ID'd him for our style of D. He seems to fit perfectly.

But, he's no Peterson.

Even with that, coaching makes all the difference and Donatell will expedite Cully's development compared to Peterson and that is why Cully is playing lights out!

JMO.

BTW, would rather have Cully and Aldon Smith than Peterson and some other third round yahoo pass rusher.
It would be a shame if PP wads ruined by a s**tty organization by destroying his confidence.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
It would be a shame if PP wads ruined by a s**tty organization by destroying his confidence.

Sounds familiar, ain't it? lol

• Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

You mean like being down by 20 points at the half against a fast dynamic offense, on the road? That kind of diversity?

Or losing two of your 3 starting wideouts and having to go on the road against an undefeated team?

Originally posted by Otter:

You mean like being down by 20 points at the half against a fast dynamic offense, on the road? That kind of diversity?

Or losing two of your 3 starting wideouts and having to go on the road against an undefeated team?

Pwnd
Originally posted by Otter:

Very nice