There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Culliver > Peterson

Culliver > Peterson

Just curious, do you guys think Culliver is playing better than Peterson? I can't believe this rookie who has only played corner for a year was man on man with CJ. I remember after we drafted him how some where saying he has very similar measurables to Peterson, just raw. It looks like we may have found a real diamond in the rough. Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe their stats are similar.
still early to make that call
Haven't watched enough of Peterson this year to pick or choose but Culliver is tearing it up. Dude is always in position and plays the ball well. Think he has potential to be our number 1 corner.
Culliver and Rogers is a pretty good tandem. Brown played well today also.
He basically took Spencers job. Granted, Spencer kind of gave it away with injuries.
Peterson was so highly valued for his returning ability, overrated as a CB alone. The other CB from LSU is better. Matthieu or whatever. Cully is the man! In Baalke i Trust!
Haven't watched enough of Az to know exactly how Peterson is doing. But I do know he has been on the wrong end of a lot of highlights. If he's not getting TDs thrown on him then he's getting trucked by AP. I was dissapointed he was taken during the draft, but at this point I'm ecstatic the Niners got Aldon Smith instead of Peterson.

Although I'm sure we would have taken Petersen had he been available.
Well, I think Culliver has some big factors helping him out greatly:

We have a good pass rush now, which helps everyone in the secondary. Peterson has no pass rush helping him (do the Cardinals actually have a sack yet? I have no idea ), which means he has to cover too long. That makes every DB look bad.

He does not have to be "the man" yet, he is the nickel corner and we could afford to somewhat ease him in into his duty. Peterson was elevated into the starting lineup because quite frankly after some injuries and the Cardinals trading DRC away, they had nobody else left.

The Cardinals offense is really struggling right now and might put Peterson and the rest of the Arizona defense in a bad spot. We have seen that same painful development with our team before, any defense will get tired and break down if the offense cannot sustain drives or gives them bad field position with turnovers. Though I think the Cardinals defense is not playing so hot either anyway…

That said, I am very surprised and pleased with the way he plays so far. He seems to be very physical and uses his athleticism very well and I think I have not yet seen him blow a critical assignment for a big play. If he can keep this up…
Good points "NoOffseason!" You dont post often, but you got some nice insight.

Mods: Please merge this thread with the duplicate I made.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Just curious, do you guys think Culliver is playing better than Peterson? I can't believe this rookie who has only played corner for a year was man on man with CJ. I remember after we drafted him how some where saying he has very similar measurables to Peterson, just raw. It looks like we may have found a real diamond in the rough. Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe their stats are similar.
I thought Culliver was very comparable to Peterson, physically, when he was drafted.

Peterson was touted as a big CB (6'+) with great speed. There was alot of hope/speculation that he might fall to the Niners at #7. He didn't, and we got Culliver in the third round instead.

Culliver is very simlar to Peterson, a big CB (6") with great speed. He just didn't have all the press and attention that Peterson got pre-draft, maybe because Culliver didn't play CB as much as Peterson did. Watching his tape from the combine, Culliver appears to have speed, footwork, ball skills, great change of direction, etc.--all the measurables that Peterson had. Just needed to be coached up!
I remember the ESPN crew saying they didnt get the pick I think it was Mel Kiper. Saying that all the good CBs were already off the list and this pick was a WTF pick. hes working out fine, and going one on one with a beast like CJ can only work in his favor.
CULLYINTHEHOUSE IS THE MAN
i love this draft class
Cully is in a Niner jersey, Peterson plays for the Tards. Cully is better based on that fact alone
Very good pick. Can't wait to see who we get next year.