LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Are we calling two plays in the huddle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watching the 2nd half of the game and in the 1st series, Alex yells "Let it roll!" or "Kill". It looks like they only do this sometimes because he doesn't yell it all the time. He'll do a hard count watch how the defense reacts and then he'll yell one or the other Let it roll or Kill. How awesome is this!?! I love whoever came up with this! Harbaugh or Roman or whoever it is, thank you for making our QBs life much easier!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuyTxsB_74
Yep. We're definitely giving Alex some freedom to read coverages and make adjustments as needed.

Far cry from the old days with the "run this play no matter what you see" mentality.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Yep. We're definitely giving Alex some freedom to read coverages and make adjustments as needed.

Far cry from the old days with the "run this play no matter what you see" mentality.

Yes, it goes to show the coaches trust him to make those decisions. I forgot to mention they also send someone in motion, to see the defenses adjustments. This can work with a loud crowd as well because he's doing hand gestures as well. Coaching is definitely getting these guys prepared for anything that can hinder our ability to execute on any given sunday. It's freak'n AWESOME!
I would doubt they are calling 2 plays at this point in the new offense being absorbed. More likely they are calling on play that has an audible to it that adjusts the existing play slightly. But I doubt they are calling two distinctly different plays.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
I would doubt they are calling 2 plays at this point in the new offense being absorbed. More likely they are calling on play that has an audible to it that adjusts the existing play slightly. But I doubt they are calling two distinctly different plays.

Well it's one play that has 2 plays within it, is maybe how I should have phrased it. It's still 2 plays, because how can it be the same play if there is a slight change in it, which is different from hot routes or hot reads (which will complicate things IMO). This is a lot easier and seems to be pretty effective.
Wham bam thank you spam
[ Edited by Kolohe on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM ]
nope. harbaugh is talking to smith throught the speaker in his helmet presnap. Hey watch out for that cover 2 and check out the safety moving over to the left to cover the seam route. Thats whats going on. YOu think smith is smart enuf to figure it out on his own. Please!!!!!!! System qb thats good at being told what to do. Im sure the coach has smith potty trained also.
Originally posted by whatawegot:
nope. harbaugh is talking to smith throught the speaker in his helmet presnap. Hey watch out for that cover 2 and check out the safety moving over to the left to cover the seam route. Thats whats going on. YOu think smith is smart enuf to figure it out on his own. Please!!!!!!! System qb thats good at being told what to do. Im sure the coach has smith potty trained also.

The speaker in the helmet, by NFL rules, cuts out with like 10 or 15 on the play clock (likely before or just as they are getting lined up, specifically so a coach can't do what you suggest). Nice theory though.

You do know that the helmet speaker is shut off by an nfl official once the play clock has reached a certain mark, right?
  • THEB
  • Veteran
The speaker turns on when the play clock starts, it lasts a full 30 seconds and shuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

Dude, this is a pathetic post. Go read up on how the speakers work and try not to embarrass yourself next time. Bashing Smiths intelligence- cheap. Doing so while showcasing yours- priceless.
Originally posted by HearstFan:

They are likely calling two plays, a primary with a run or pass depending on what the defense is showing.
Bye whatwegot I bet we won't be seeing u in this thread again
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Dude, this is a pathetic post. Go read up on how the speakers work and try not to embarrass yourself next time. Bashing Smiths intelligence- cheap. Doing so while showcasing yours- priceless.

I appreciate this one
I wonder if Smith still makes line protection call. He did say something about having to do less this year.
Share 49ersWebzone