LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 305 users in the forums

Niners sign Brett Swain

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have room on the roster to bring in more than 1 guy...be patient. Not saying that Harbaugh won't make a mistake, but he's proven most of his selections were correct despite everyone 2nd guessing him.
Originally posted by valrod33:
The team is trying to fill Joshua Morgan's spot on the game-day roster. Morgan broke a bone in his lower leg late in Sunday's win over the Buccaneers. Swain (6-0, 200 pounds), meanwhile, was drafted by the Packers in 2008. He mostly played special teams on team deep with talented wide receivers. Swain started one game last year in which he had one catch for six yards. he finished the season with six catches for 72 yards.

Swain's biggest impact came on special teams. He had three tackles in the Packers Super Bowl win and drew praise for his performance in the game. His agent, Bruce Tollner, said Swain, who played collegiately at San Diego State, has been working out in the San Diego area since being released by the Packers last month.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/10/niners-sign-wr-swain-to-a-one-year-deal.html#ixzz1aVgLWWMV

Here is why we signed him over other guys. This guy plays special teams too.

Got it. Makes sense.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
harbaugh coached at the university of san diego which were the torreros not san diego st aztecs

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for scanning and not really reading. lol

I remember this white boy droppin a pass in the super bowl.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
good signing, I think. Whoever we signed was going to be the #4 WR anyway, might as well a young guy who can play special teams.

Who also has quite a bit of familiarity with WCO terminology.Learning curve should be pretty quick.
Originally posted by daragon:
Originally posted by 5280High:
College career Swain played four seasons at San Diego State. As a senior in 2007, he led his team by recording 58 receptions for 973 yards and 5 touchdowns. In 2006 he started a season for the first time and recorded 47 catches for 528 yards and scored twice. He also had 7 carries for 35 yards, though did not record a touchdown. He was an All-Mountain West Conference wide receiver his senior year.

[edit] Professional career [edit] Green Bay Packers Swain was drafted by the Packers in the seventh round of the 2008 NFL Draft. On July 23 it was announced that the Packers signed him to a contract.[1] He was later cut then signed to the team's practice squad. He was resigned to a future contract following the end of the season. On October 27, Swain was placed on the Injured Reserve [2]

On August 28, 2011, Swain was waived by Green Bay.

[edit] San Francisco 49ers He signed with the San Francisco 49ers on October 11, 2011.

So he was coached by Harbaugh. There must be a comfort level with him, and the learning curve will be smaller then most others.

Went to San Diego State, not USD where Harbs coached...

According to Packer forums... this was the guy who would of replaced James Jones however he has the injury bug so he never got on the field prompting the team to resign Jones and then with the emergence of Cobb, he got released. In the limited time he had it sounds like he has the talent just not the durability.. but there was an article saying how pleased McCarthy was with Swains rehab and how he has come back from it. Take it for what its worth.

He also played in the Superbowl, and who knows maybe Harbaugh brought him in to pick his brain on the Lions since he has been in their division for the past 3 years.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Experience in WCO, versatile, 26 yo. Hard to make the team at WR for the packers but did so last year. Looks like Cincy worked him out a couple weeks back as well.

Seems OK to me.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
He played collage ball down in Diego too, maybe Harbaugh knows him from then??..
  • Apone
  • Veteran

Originally posted by Leathaface:
I remember this white boy droppin a pass in the super bowl.

oh, he's white? nevermind, horrible signing.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
One thing we do know for sure... He won't be wearing his old number
Great athlete. I saw him play several times down here at Carlsbad High. The Packers really liked him, but the numbers got to him. He had a good career at SD St. I am sure JH was quite familiar with him and probably tried to recruit him to USD. He was on the San Diego All-County team. College bio linked
http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/swain_brett00.html
Good short term pickup.
Share 49ersWebzone