There are 135 users in the forums

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
QB rating is not the only way to judge a quarterback. Matt Cassel had a similiar rating last year but no one was confusing him for one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

I'm not trying to hate on Alex here. Right now it looks like we got a superior defense, a very good run game and great special teams. The goal should be to build a passing attack that rivals the rest of our team. We're going to face very good football teams with elite quarterback play come playoff time. Matt Cassel and David Garrard is not going to get it done.

I'm not saying Alex can't take that next step, but if he's going to be our long term solution then he better be able to do it. The question is what do we have to do to get him there?

At the end of the day all we can do as fans is wait and see. Alex Smith has 10 games left plus the post-season. His future career in San Fran. and the NFL will be based on that. He's going a good job right now. I like what I see. Some people don't and I can accept that. I remember when 9er fans were bashing Steven Young and wanted Montana back. 9er fans are really spoiled so this stuff is nothing new.
Originally posted by taney71:
There are way too many what-ifs and specultive points in your post to know. Is Kaep talented? Sure. Was Nate Davis? Yes.

You might be right. Perhaps Kaep turns into the next Montana or Young. Still there are way too many assumptions to believe or even think that the 9ers will let Alex Smith walk and just start Kaep because they have a feeling the kid will be good. Quality NFL QBs don't grow on trees. Heck, even bad QBs whose best days have pasted get starting jobs (just look at McNabb).

People on this board have such a blind hate for Smith that they forget the kid is and has played really good QB that most teams in the NFL would die for.

I try and be as objective as I can, and I like to try and call things before they become popular and obvious.

Nate Davis was talented, but I never claimed he would be our starter, I just wanted to see him play. There is one HUGE difference of course between Colin Kaepernick and Nate Davis. Kaep is very very smart, and Davis (by literal definition) was mentally retarded. The coaches apparently couldn't work with him.
The complete 180 opposite is true with Kaepernick, as he is extremely easy to coach and train.

If it was obvious, everybody would be talking about it. But like I said, I feel the kid has a chance to be elite.

If fact, this draft might go into the history books as one of our all-time best drafts. Aldon is not "knocking on the door", he has kicked it down, he is an elite pass rusher right NOW. There is no way Kaepernick will not get there with Harbaugh at his side; he has shown some unreal flashes of talent. Culliver is going to be VERY good. Hunter ironically, is the one guy I would not bet on to turn out elite. Miller is going to be a very good fullback for a long-time. Jones is a great special teams player. We still have to see what happens with Person.

Its just an opinion, we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, Alex is making a lot of good plays.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I try and be as objective as I can, and I like to try and call things before they become popular and obvious.

Nate Davis was talented, but I never claimed he would be our starter, I just wanted to see him play. There is one HUGE difference of course between Colin Kaepernick and Nate Davis. Kaep is very very smart, and Davis (by literal definition) was mentally retarded. The coaches apparently couldn't work with him.
The complete 180 opposite is true with Kaepernick, as he is extremely easy to coach and train.

If it was obvious, everybody would be talking about it. But like I said, I feel the kid has a chance to be elite.

If fact, this draft might go into the history books as one of our all-time best drafts. Aldon is not "knocking on the door", he has kicked it down, he is an elite pass rusher right NOW. There is no way Kaepernick will not get there with Harbaugh at his side; he has shown some unreal flashes of talent. Culliver is going to be VERY good. Hunter ironically, is the one guy I would not bet on to turn out elite. Miller is going to be a very good fullback for a long-time. Jones is a great special teams player. We still have to see what happens with Person.

Its just an opinion, we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, Alex is making a lot of good plays.

You might be right. But I just cant' see the 9ers letting Alex walking next year. The thing people forget is that Alex is only 27 which is just 3 years older than Kaep. If Alex is the QB who gets the 9ers to the playoffs I dont' see how we let him go next year despite what Kaep could be. In the NFL good QBs are hard to find. Letting one go for a what if is a risky decision at best.
At the end of the day all we can do as fans is wait and see. Alex Smith has 10 games left plus the post-season. His future career in San Fran. and the NFL will be based on that. He's going a good job right now. I like what I see. Some people don't and I can accept that. I remember when 9er fans were bashing Steven Young and wanted Montana back. 9er fans are really spoiled so this stuff is nothing new.

I want us to extend him. If it he gets a new contract tomorrow I'm happy. I don't think Peyton Manning is coming thru the door.

The problem I have is our passing attack isn't on par with the rest of our team. That's killed Baltimore's season every year since 2000 . It's year one with Harbaugh I know it's only to get better the question is what steps do we need to get there.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM ]
I want us to extend him. If it he gets a new contract tomorrow I'm happy. I don't think Peyton Manning is coming thru the door.

The problem I have is our passing attack isn't on par with the rest of our team. That's killed Baltimore's season every year since 2000 . It's year one with Harbaugh I know it's only to get better the question is what steps do we need to get there.

If you look at the attempted passes the 9ers are not throwing a bunch which brings down the overall numbers in terms of yards per game. That is by design as Harbaugh wants a balanced attack of 50/50 runs to passes. I like that kind of offense because teams like NE can't run like the 9ers and close out game they way we can.

Sure would I like to see Alex put up numbers in the 300 range? Yes. But the online sucked during the first three games and we had to rely on short passes. Braylon got hurt and then Morgan. Against an UNDEFEATED team the 9ers and Alex were down to ONE good WR in Crabs who, by the way, hadn't played in the offseason or preseason. How crazy was that?
You might be right. But I just cant' see the 9ers letting Alex walking next year. The thing people forget is that Alex is only 27 which is just 3 years older than Kaep. If Alex is the QB who gets the 9ers to the playoffs I dont' see how we let him go next year despite what Kaep could be. In the NFL good QBs are hard to find. Letting one go for a what if is a risky decision at best.

I'm not even considering anything regarding contracts etc. That stuff works itself out.

I'll say one thing though. There is no way in a MILLION YEARS we trade Kaepernick before the start of next season. If that happens, I'll dress up like a crow for Halloween.

If you look at the attempted passes the 9ers are not throwing a bunch which brings down the overall numbers in terms of yards per game. That is by design as Harbaugh wants a balanced attack of 50/50 runs to passes. I like that kind of offense because teams like NE can't run like the 9ers and close out game they way we can.

Sure would I like to see Alex put up numbers in the 300 range? Yes. But the online sucked during the first three games and we had to rely on short passes. Braylon got hurt and then Morgan. Against an UNDEFEATED team the 9ers and Alex were down to ONE good WR in Crabs who, by the way, hadn't played in the offseason or preseason. How crazy was that?

It is crazy that we won that game. I gave us almost no chance.

Just some thoughts, though I know I wasn't asked...

- keep working hard to improve OL protection. We're still pretty far at the bottom in this.
- get those WRs and TEs working harder on their focus and hands. We are bottom 5 in dropped passes, and some routes and field awareness has been amateurish.
- Guys gotta start breaking more tackles. I know it's aggravating to see a 6 yd throw when we need 9 yds... but we're rarely getting those few YAC we need... what up wit dat?
- We get Braylon back!!!! Should make a big difference. Ginn is not a good WR, and Walker is so inconsistent.
- Don't be afraid to come out slinging it. We can run the ball well once we show teams that we can pass first.

There's truths in what you said there. I don't disagree with anything you said, but there's also truths to us having a below average passing attack. Alex Smith ranks 22nd in YPA, and 28th in 1st down %. Those stats right there are per attempt, and it just shows the conservative nature of our passing game.

Balanced attack is the way to go. You go back to New Orleans championship year and they had beastly run game. New England was at their best when they were balanced. I agree with Harbaugh's philosophy 100%.

There's truths in what you said there. I don't disagree with anything you said, but there's also truths to us having a below average passing attack. Alex Smith ranks 22nd in YPA, and 28th in 1st down %. Those stats right there are per attempt, and it just shows the conservative nature of our passing game.

Balanced attack is the way to go. You go back to New Orleans championship year and they had beastly run game. New England was at their best when they were balanced. I agree with Harbaugh's philosophy 100%.

He is also ranked 8th in passer rating with a season high of #3 overall. And he has a 5 - 1 record....

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He is also ranked 8th in passer rating with a season high of #3 overall. And he has a 5 - 1 record....

SF as a team has a 5-1 record, and I'm not bashing Alex at all.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
we have 11 games to go and as mentioned already, we should see if he can still play at this level for the rest of the year and into the payoffs. PLAYOFFS!!!

I think Alex should be extended and have Kaep and Jesus Christ Superstar battle it our for #2. ( i hope jesus wins).

not much else to add that has not been said already. his age is still a good thing for us. and also, the fans aren't the only ones interested in seeing what he can do with a full off season and second year in this offense, right?

This
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

SF as a team has a 5-1 record, and I'm not bashing Alex at all.

Alex is a 5 - 1 QB with the 8th best rating in the league....
  • dj43
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I am happy that Alex is having some success, but let's be honest. Alex is a product of Harbaugh and his system. I think another QB with more ability would do much better in this situation and I would honestly like to see what another QB could do under Harbaugh's tutelage. Having said that, I am on board with whatever Harbaugh decides to do; Bring Alex back, make Kaepernick our QB, or get another long-term guy.

IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST!

People said the very same thing about Montana in the Walsh system.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just some thoughts, though I know I wasn't asked...

- keep working hard to improve OL protection. We're still pretty far at the bottom in this.
- get those WRs and TEs working harder on their focus and hands. We are bottom 5 in dropped passes, and some routes and field awareness has been amateurish.
- Guys gotta start breaking more tackles. I know it's aggravating to see a 6 yd throw when we need 9 yds... but we're rarely getting those few YAC we need... what up wit dat?
- We get Braylon back!!!! Should make a big difference. Ginn is not a good WR, and Walker is so inconsistent.
- Don't be afraid to come out slinging it. We can run the ball well once we show teams that we can pass first.

Our receivers lack awareness. I think that might be our biggest problem. I love Vernon, but his game could be so much more well rounded. Crabtree is extremely frustrating. He's got to step it up and be as consistent as Morgan was.
Share 49ersWebzone