There are 177 users in the forums

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Originally posted by Texas9erFan:
If Alex gets us to the NFC Championship, then sign him to a fat 5 year contract. (I believe this is VERY possible)
If Alex falls apart andwe finish a mediocre 8-8 then sign to a 3 year contract so we can develop a young new QB.

I think we could easily be 10-6 at the end of the season with the NFC West won. That doesn't even take into count winning games against teams that are probably worse than the Eagles, Bucs, and Cincy.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
One year contract - the 49ers brass themselves were not sure going into the season. Once again, a lot will depend on Smith himself in how he plays out this entire season. But it is looking like a no brainer that the 49ers will make a long term offer to keep him as starter if he plays well enough.

What is "well enough" to you? I ask cause I'm trying to figure out what I would like from Smith at the end of the season. I'm thinking the following:

60%, 2500+, 24 TDs, 5-10 INTs AND the NFC West Division won.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I dont want a Brees situation happening here, but it might start to look like it if Alex comes up with 'come back player of the year' award! Are we gonna let another possible SB QB go? We could have had Rodgers and Brady.

Woah calm down buddy. They're playing great but slow your roll.

True. Thats the first thing that came to mind on this matter. Im happy with the way Smith is playing in the system thats for sure.
double post, some gremlins doing the rounds in the zone today.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM ]
It was a pretty much concecius that if Alex got us to the playoffs he would be expenses so that's what's happening of he gets us again next year then I believe he will be the long term answer
I believe he is the QB.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
I believe he is the QB.

Hey, you are like the 3rd guy to try that joke and fail.
As a fan..I just want a QB that can win. I know it's impossible to win every game, but as long as the QB is giving the team a chance to win. I don't care if it's Alex, Colin or the 3rd string QB (Scott?)that was picked up from the Chargers. I was at the 9ers and Buc's game, and I like how Alex is playing. There were only two throws that I thought he could have improved on. The over throw to Williams and under throw to VD that was called pass interference. The other mis-cues appears to be confusion between QB and WR and it can be fixed.
I think he's short term like mid short. If he continues this play he will b kaps stop gap for 2-3 years then we unleash the beast and he'll be. Like if Aaron Rodgers and mike Vick had a baby and that's what kap would b.
Originally posted by Bayareaboy:
I think he's short term like mid short. If he continues this play he will b kaps stop gap for 2-3 years then we unleash the beast and he'll be. Like if Aaron Rodgers and mike Vick had a baby and that's what kap would b.

Dear lord, can we stop this Kaep is the future crap? We have no idea if Kaep will turn out well. Remember a lot of people on this board thought Nate Davis was the answer to all of our problems.

Long term.

Alex is only going to get better, barring some traumatic confidence killing injury. We are only witnessing the beginning of the monkey coming off of Alex's back. Wait 'till he is brimming with confidence and then he'll really take off. Let this offense and team grow with Alex.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by Bayareaboy:

Dear lord, can we stop this Kaep is the future crap? We have no idea if Kaep will turn out well. Remember a lot of people on this board thought Nate Davis was the answer to all of our problems.

Kaep is not the future for our team or any other team.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by MX_ninner:
I think we are finally here:

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.' (Urban Meyer speaking about Alex Smith)

That's such an overused quote from Meyer and really doesn't fit the situation Alex Smith has been in with the 49ers. Basically this organization and team was crap from 2003-2010. We started adding players in 05 (Smith, Gore, Baas, Synder), 06 (VD, Lawson, P. Harralson, D. Walker), 07 (Willis, Staley, R. McDonald, Goldson) but those pieces couldn't come together without coaching and, of course, we know that Nolan and Signletary couldn't provide that..

Alex Smith NOW has a coach and offensive system in place. Before that time it wasn't like Smith was slowly learning. Heck, he had nothing to learn since the 9ers changed offensive systems so many times in the last 8 years. In short, the quote means nothing cause it just doesn't fit.

That's the point, he has a coach now and a system he is getting to understand and feel comfortable with, before he had nothing of that, so you can only expect better perfomances as he masters Harbaugh's plan.

I say bring him back!
If Alex can play like this going forward and ends that regular season with 28 tds and 3 picks, I expect him to be the starter next year. Even if we go one and done in the playoffs, unless he just stinks the place up I expect him to be our guy again and again. I think we still need 2-4 more pieces on defense (DT, CB, Saftey, pass rush) and maybe 1-2 peices on offense (oline, dominant wr that commands double team), So I don't expect Alex to lead us to the promised land, but at this point; NO MORE EXCUSES. I think we will be primed and ready for the playoffs, we have a lot of mediocre division games that we should dominate, and a few challenging games mixed in; Ravens, Skins, Giants. If Alex stays consistent through the second half of the season it will tell us a lot about the past seven years. I always said Alex was a victim of circumstance and that broke his confidence. Now Jim has helped restore that confidence and hopefully salvaged our QB legacy. We also have Cap as a back up, and possibly trade bait ala Kolb if he can get some face time.
28 tds and 3 picks?? LMAO. That would be a MVP type season, no lie. If he had that season, we better extend his ass as soon as possible or we're idiots.
[ Edited by Method on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone