There are 158 users in the forums

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

If he finishes the season (including playoffs?) the way he's playing right now, they should definitely sign him long term.
Colin can learn for a few years or until Smith gets injured... he's better off learning for a couple of years anyway. He's pretty raw.
It's also cool that we're even having this debate... who thought this was gonna happen? Noooobody!

Locking up Alex needs to be a priority. He'll never been Aaron Rodgers but he has convinced me he is above-average and can be a winner.
Our QB for the next 10 years. I'm serious. Kaepernick will eventually be traded
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Alex Smith has set the record for Total QBR thus far, with a 98.2/100.

GO ALEX!!!

Kind of surprising with the 11 for 19 percentage, lower than his average. I guess QBR isn't as anal about % as Passer Rating.

There is no perfect QB stat except W-L.

That statement makes no sense. What if Tom Brady continues to light it up this season while breaking records and winning the MVP but his defense sucks so bad that they don't even make the playoffs. Does that mean that Brady sucks just cause his TEAM didn't play well?

W and L is by no means a good way of measuring a QB's ability.
[ Edited by goodthings19 on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Our QB for the next 10 years. I'm serious. Kaepernick will eventually be traded

Could easily be the truth, but saying this is only gonna push people back further into disliking Alex. Can't imagine that being what you want.
He has progressed to "game manager" faster than I thought, JH has done a great job with Alex. I get the feeling in JH's perfect world Alex throws a better deep ball, but he might just settle for what Alex is giving us, for a while, but all coaches want "their" QB, I don't know if Alex is JH's. I think it is still early yet, I give him a 3 year extension, and let Kap ride the pine... can't hurt the way Alex is playing we aren't going to find anyone better right away, and if Alex keeps this up...
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
If he finishes the season (including playoffs?) the way he's playing right now, they should definitely sign him long term.
Colin can learn for a few years or until Smith gets injured... he's better off learning for a couple of years anyway. He's pretty raw.
It's also cool that we're even having this debate... who thought this was gonna happen? Noooobody!

please im begging you dont put smith and the word injured in the same sentence dont wanna jinx it
Not sure. I think Smith should get a 4 or 5 year deal 50- 60 million dollar deal at some point this year. I'm going to say he's long term, but with Kaepernick behind him it's not a guarantee.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Alex is who I thought he was, I'm glad harbaugh finally let him off the hook.

(and let him play freely)

Alex Smith led the way with a 98.2 Total QBR in Week 5, as the 49ers routed Tampa Bay. Smith's rating was not only the highest of the week but also the highest for any quarterback in any game so far this season (minimum 15 action plays).
Damn....Alex taking us to a HOME PLAYOFF GAME?

That's freaking amazing

Originally posted by MaliCali:
If he keeps this up, it'll be Kaep that gets traded or runs out his contract on the bench..

hopefully people recognize that this would be a good thing.

Alex is still ultra young (younger than Matt Ryan I believe)

Alex is only 27, a year older than Ryan but yes, that is young for a QB. He still has a lot of career left.
If he is able to stay in the same system, he's the kind of kid that will be playing his best football in his early 30s....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
If he keeps this up, it'll be Kaep that gets traded or runs out his contract on the bench..

hopefully people recognize that this would be a good thing.

Alex is still ultra young (younger than Matt Ryan I believe)

Alex is only 27, a year older than Ryan but yes, that is young for a QB. He still has a lot of career left.
If he is able to stay in the same system, he's the kind of kid that will be playing his best football in his early 30s....

Agreed. He's not the kind of person that will get to a good level and just sit back and be content.

He has that Peyton Manning / Drew Brees mind-set of "always work... always get better."
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Assuming he plays like this for the rest of the season..he is the future.

You don't allow your proven, game tested, high quality QB to see free agency just because you took a guy in round 2 that you HOPE works out.

When you have a guy that you've seen do it, time and time again, he is a sure thing. In the NFL, always keep the sure thing.
A guy turning into a good QB who we need to keep.

Remember he's only 3 years older than Kaep so it isn't like going with the backup is giving us a younger guy.
Share 49ersWebzone