There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

What is Alex Smith for the 49ers?

The same poll on the ESPN NFL front page. The nation thinks he is the short-term answer, except Utah where he has the long-term vote.

How does the Webzone feel?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/
I'm going to say, right now, short-term answer. we spent a second round pick on a QB, and while Alex has played very, very well, consistency has been an issue in the past. There's 11 games left, lets see what he does. The nice thing is that he is young enough still that he can be the long-term answer.

I'm just amazed that we're even able to have this conversation.
I'd dont know about the team, but he's my reason for living.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'd dont know about the team, but he's my reason for living.

This is FAP FAP material.
If he keeps this up, it'll be Kaep that gets traded or runs out his contract on the bench..

hopefully people recognize that this would be a good thing.

Alex is still ultra young (younger than Matt Ryan I believe)
stop gap
Alex will likely get us in our first play-off run in several years... so yes, he will be in the long-term plans. (at least 2 more years) Alex isn't gonna want to leave, and Jim won't want him to leave.

Kaepernick is a 2nd round pick. His contract and status is not such that he needs to be the starting QB in SF.
If he keeps this up and continues to improve, he'll be here for 4 more years w/Kap riding the pine like Rogers did in GBay.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
If he keeps this up, it'll be Kaep that gets traded or runs out his contract on the bench..

he's a year and ten days older than Ryan, but, yes, he's still very young
The rest of the season will answer that question.
Alex is who I thought he was, I'm glad harbaugh finally let him off the hook.

(and let him play freely)
we have 11 games to go and as mentioned already, we should see if he can still play at this level for the rest of the year and into the payoffs. PLAYOFFS!!!

I think Alex should be extended and have Kaep and Jesus Christ Superstar battle it our for #2. ( i hope jesus wins).

not much else to add that has not been said already. his age is still a good thing for us. and also, the fans aren't the only ones interested in seeing what he can do with a full off season and second year in this offense, right?
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Alex is only 27, a year older than Ryan but yes, that is young for a QB. He still has a lot of career left.
I picked weak link because we would have scored 80 points if we had a different QB.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
If he takes us to the playoffs and wins a couple of games, long term answer!