LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I'm not denying the flashes, I just want to see these two get on the same page. Do you remember the near pick Smith threw yesterday when Crabtree ran a different route than Smith was expecting? I wonder if Smith throws high to Crabtree because he is off on target, or if it is because Crabtree is not in the right place? I wonder these things because I don't see the same problems with other receivers, but I see them between Smith and Crabtree every season they play together.

In fact, the best chemistry I've ever seen between Smith and Crabtree is when Crabtree was playing in his first NFL game, and Smith was returning from a two year absence for the first time. Strange...
I'm not denying the flashes, I just want to see these two get on the same page. Do you remember the near pick Smith threw yesterday when Crabtree ran a different route than Smith was expecting? I wonder if Smith throws high to Crabtree because he is off on target, or if it is because Crabtree is not in the right place? I wonder these things because I don't see the same problems with other receivers, but I see them between Smith and Crabtree every season they play together.

In fact, the best chemistry I've ever seen between Smith and Crabtree is when Crabtree was playing in his first NFL game, and Smith was returning from a two year absence for the first time. Strange...

I think its chemistry. I don't know crabtrees understanding of the offense but the guys that put in the extra work seem to be clicking faster on offense. It even took gore a few games to get that corrected. I believe after the bye week and with edwards back things will open up for crabs and they will be good.
If there ever is a game where Crabtree needs to explode, it's this Sunday. He needs to really focus this week and play like we drafted him for.
Crabtree had only 2 catches for 36 yards against the bucs. Philly was his best game of the year. Granted he is just getting back to normal...Injury, Lack of preseason traning camp etc. Hopefully, he will get a lot of reps in practice this week.
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabtree boned Smith's boy friend.

i see you finally came out of the closet
It might be because Crabtree runs his routes at a sharper angle then other receivers. The consistently high passes to Crabtree are going to kill us at some point.

Crabtree made an amazing grab on third down to get the first down, but that kind of play could just as easily bounce off his hands if it is an inch higher. They need to figure out what's wrong.
I'm going to say route depth is the problem with their chemistry. I also don't blame either of them for this, but I think they haven't resonated yet. Running a route a yard deeper or shallow effect the appearance of the pass accuracy greatly. I don't care to calculate it out but 6" to 1' sounds good.

So if the out route break is a half yard shorter than expected the ball will arrive 1+ foot higher than projected. Fuzzy math but the principle solid.

So I still don't blame either of them, but I don't think they are even close to being able to anticipate each others moves.
[ Edited by Shorteous on Oct 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM ]
Originally posted by ace8016:

I think its chemistry. I don't know crabtrees understanding of the offense but the guys that put in the extra work seem to be clicking faster on offense. It even took gore a few games to get that corrected. I believe after the bye week and with edwards back things will open up for crabs and they will be good.

I truly believe that any "bad" or "off target" pass from Smith to Crabs is Crabs fault. I remember last year when Smith had a bunch of INTs off throws to Crabs. That didn't happen nearly as much with other receivers. Heck, there were INTs that just bounced off Crabs hands.

Crabs is lucky Smith doesn't talk trash openly about receivers cause I think out of anyone on this offense there are still MAJOR questions about Crabs.
Crabtree never practices and never plays in the preseason. So there is a lack of chemistry there.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Oh, and I'll credit the new scheme to Crabtree's slow start..

Morgan played in a WCO'eske offense at VaTech. Crabtree went from the ultra spread to Jimmy Raye...both of which had pretty simple play calls to comprehend and remember, not nearly as complex as a Harbaugh WCO..

He came from the Air Raid, which is college football's evolution of the West Coast offense. That said, it's quite an evolution that has eliminated a lot of variety from the routes and has taken on many concepts that are usually identified with the Run-and-Shoot.

He keeps missing camp. Until that stops, he wont reach his potential. I think it's pretty much that simple. It's hard to blame Smith when Crabtree seems to be the only guy he's consistently missing.
[ Edited by adembroski on Oct 12, 2011 at 5:14 AM ]
There was a shot during the Bucs game of Crabtree and Alex looking at those pics that QBs always look at. It gave me a boner

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between you two!? How many times did Smith throw way high to Crabtree today? Why is this happening? We could have rolled the Lions!
Smith and Crabtree, what is it between you two!? How many times did Smith throw way high to Crabtree today? Why is this happening? We could have rolled the Lions!
Everytime smith throws to crabtree it's higher than if he threw it to someone else. Everytime. This is something harbaugh and Roman need to address.
At least we have a bye week to work on this, and will have Edwards back.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Everytime smith throws to crabtree it's higher than if he threw it to someone else. Everytime. This is something harbaugh and Roman need to address.

Yeah, it's almost got to the point where I'm half-scared when Smith throws to Crabtree.
Share 49ersWebzone