LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

Smith and Crabtree, what is it between these two?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love both of these guys, but I can see that something is amiss between them. Is it simply due to a lack of practicing together? Personally, I think not. I think not because they're both professionals, and they're both good football players, yet for whatever reason, they do not play so well together.

Take yesterday's game for example. We killed the Bucs, it was the best showing by a 49ers team since 2002 or so. Yet, when it came to Smith and Crabtree, they were not connecting. I think they were the only nuance of the entire 49ers game that did not click. For whatever reason, Smith seems to often throw a bit high to Crabtree, and for whatever other reason, Crabtree seems to not be able to catch these passes, even though they're very catchable.

As a fan, I am usally going, "Why are you hitting him high Smith!? And why aren't you catching those anyway Crabtree!!?? They're still very catchable!"

Yea, on Sundays, I'm saying that a lot, and I imagine others are saying similar things.

So what do you think it is between these two? How can they correct it? Will they as the season progresses and things hopefully continue to improve for the 49ers?

Weigh in.
[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Crabtree boned Smith's boy friend.
Originally posted by susweel:

Oh, sounds like the LBJ scandal.

I guess now that Smith is playing well, the only thing you can do is call into question his sexuality. Nice
Crabtree caught two high passes from Smith yesterday. I think it is definitely a matter of lack of chemistry that is causing their struggles on the field. But they have also shown flashes this season, such as the should have been TD vs Cincy and the deep pass vs Nnamdi. Look for them to improve. Everyone on this team is improving each and every week, there is no reason to not expect the same from Smith and Crabtree.

delicious, delicious hate..
asexual tension
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by blm7754:
I guess now that Smith is playing well, the only thing you can do is call into question his sexuality. Nice

Originally posted by MaliCali:
delicious, delicious hate..

Its a JOKE people .......................

take it easy nobody is hating on our HOF Qb. just chill out
Oh, and I'll credit the new scheme to Crabtree's slow start..

Morgan played in a WCO'eske offense at VaTech. Crabtree went from the ultra spread to Jimmy Raye...both of which had pretty simple play calls to comprehend and remember, not nearly as complex as a Harbaugh WCO..

Heee's Baaaaaack

take it easy nobody is hating on our HOF Qb.

hate replaced with clearly mad sarcasm.

...also delicious
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Crabtree caught two high passes from Smith yesterday. I think it is definitely a matter of lack of chemistry that is causing their struggles on the field. But they have also shown flashes this season, such as the should have been TD vs Cincy and the deep pass vs Nnamdi. Look for them to improve. Everyone on this team is improving each and every week, there is no reason to not expect the same from Smith and Crabtree.

I'm not denying the flashes, I just want to see these two get on the same page. Do you remember the near pick Smith threw yesterday when Crabtree ran a different route than Smith was expecting? I wonder if Smith throws high to Crabtree because he is off on target, or if it is because Crabtree is not in the right place? I wonder these things because I don't see the same problems with other receivers, but I see them between Smith and Crabtree every season they play together.

In fact, the best chemistry I've ever seen between Smith and Crabtree is when Crabtree was playing in his first NFL game, and Smith was returning from a two year absence for the first time. Strange...
Originally posted by blm7754:

Doesn't that mean Crabs would be gay, too? lol i don't see why you only take defense to Smith.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Weigh in.

Only issue I saw was the 3rd quarter (I think?) pass where it could have been an INT when Alex threw a back shoulder pass near the end-zone flag and Crabtree was thinking it was supposed to be another route design.

They definitely need to work out the kinks, but these things happen from time to time. Each week, such issues should get better mended.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Yeah, II really think that is a big part of it. Smith favors targets that he is the most familiar with. Thats a big reason why he targets VD and Gore alot... cause they have played and practiced together for years. Its not just a matter of trust. The QB needs to have a feel for when a receiver will be open, where they like the ball placed, what routes they run particularly well, etc. That familiarity takes time to develop.
Share 49ersWebzone