There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Steve Mariucci in 2008 re: West Coast Offense

I stumbled across this video of Steve Mariucci talking very candidly about Bill Walsh and the west coast offense. Two things I found really interesting.

When asked about the 2008 49ers not running the west coast offense, Mariucci looked almost disappointed at first in his response. He didn't trash the current system or anything but was noticeable disheartened. Thought that was interesting, he must be pretty stoked to see Jim Harbaugh execute it so methodically.

He also elaborated on the nature of a west woast offense. He said it isn't just the x's and o's we see on the field. It's a philosophy of excellence. It's how you conduct yourself in meetings, on trips, to the media, in workouts. I think Jim Harbaugh is the perfect coach to supply the bay area Bill Walsh's system and commitment to a winning attitude. He's the perfect teacher. The perfect mentor for the QBs. Alex Smith was considered a bonafide BUST. And to see such a resurgence is utterly phenomenal. Not to take anything from Alex Smith, I've always knew he had the playmaking ability. He only lacked that consistency and competence factor. Insert Jim Harbaugh and a bonafide west coast offense.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/29jWZFm767o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Found the right place to put this post... lol...

Suffice it to say, the new offense put together by coach Harbaugh is designed to make QBs look good - and that's not a bad thing for our QBs... I still remember names like Grbac, Cavanagh (sp?), heck, even deBurgh looking good in Walsh's old system. Short, quick, timed passes... Yards after catch... QB not having to wait to pass the ball... Multiple receiving outlets... Passing to set up the run - and running wild... All parts of the WCO style. Harbaugh's brought that to us now, and if our ownership is smart, they'll stick with it.

QB is the hardest position to fill in football. You can spend years looking for an "awesome prototypical textbook" QB, then win for a few years, before decades of poor QB play, or you can have a great system that is QB-friendly, and "plug-n-play". Sure you can always upgade the position - Montana, Young, and Garcia all did well, but had varying skill levels and strengths.

I was never a "fan" of Alex Smith, but if he works within the system, he works within the system... Let's just stop talking about the "miracle" resurgence... We know what the key factor was: OUR winning system put (at least some pieces) back into place.

I'm just sooooooooo darned pleased this system is back. Now, lets make sure we sign coach to multi-years, and lock him down. People don't give enough credit to the importance of organization...
Originally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:
I stumbled across this video of Steve Mariucci talking very candidly about Bill Walsh and the west coast offense. Two things I found really interesting.

When asked about the 2008 49ers not running the west coast offense, Mariucci looked almost disappointed at first in his response. He didn't trash the current system or anything but was noticeable disheartened. Thought that was interesting, he must be pretty stoked to see Jim Harbaugh execute it so methodically.

He also elaborated on the nature of a west woast offense. He said it isn't just the x's and o's we see on the field. It's a philosophy of excellence. It's how you conduct yourself in meetings, on trips, to the media, in workouts. I think Jim Harbaugh is the perfect coach to supply the bay area Bill Walsh's system and commitment to a winning attitude. He's the perfect teacher. The perfect mentor for the QBs. Alex Smith was considered a bonafide BUST. And to see such a resurgence is utterly phenomenal. Not to take anything from Alex Smith, I've always knew he had the playmaking ability. He only lacked that consistency and competence factor. Insert Jim Harbaugh and a bonafide west coast offense.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/29jWZFm767o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good interview. And good post.
good post
On almost every NFL Network interview, Mooch has been touting Jim to a constant (for his Walsh/Cali-connection); the day we hired Harbaugh Mooch was in elation of Jim's West Coast system coming to SF.
Man, Mooch is a freaking encyclopedia of football knowledge. He could have put the 2003 team back into contention and maybe then some. I know he got b***hed out for a million and one different reasons during the '02 season, but we shoulda kept him aboard.

The guy was just a good coach, too. It's funny because on NFL Network they showed an episode of Sound FX where you got tons of footage of 49ers practices 1997-2002, and then some of his Lions practices. It's really funny because you see him getting stressed and yelling a hell of a lot more with the Lions and in contrast, spending most of his time with the 49ers focusing on fundamentals and talking to them like adults.

I'll try to find the video, but he has this terrific session on holding onto the football, and focusing on the 4 points of pressure used to secure the ball. He had his assistants check everyone, from the QB to the Punter, everyone got checked on their ball control. Mooch's teams never fumbled either. They had great discipline at the line of scrimmage as well. Very few stupid false starts on his watch.
mooch was the man