LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Couldn't have won the last one with out Coach Sing.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
Perhaps it's fair to say that I don't think Singletary ever should have been handed the reigns to an NFL roster without having ANY head coaching experience at any level. The bumbling and ineptitude of that coaching staff was as maddening as any of the teams I've watched over the past 8 years. He was in waaaaay over his neck in the scope of what it takes to be a successful NFL coach. That's not his fault, ownership never should have been wooed by his bravado and he really should have known better too.

What he did do, which few coaches truly can boast that they can, is relate to the players on a competitive level and command the respect of even top-tier talent because he was so highly regarded as a player. He gained instant credibility in the locker room and, the most obvious example being VD, truly changed the paths of some players' careers. Would Pat Willis be as dominant without the tutelage of one of the all time greats? Would he lead his teammates as well without that influence?

Maybe Harbaugh could have achieved the same things, but Singletary already created the attitude shift from the Nolan regime that the team desperately needed and gave JH a leg up to be competitive right away.

I think this is a provocative thread and got me to thinking, that while I couldn't wait for the 9ers to get rid of Singletary, he did mold a sense of toughness in them.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
I think this is a provocative thread and got me to thinking, that while I couldn't wait for the 9ers to get rid of Singletary, he did mold a sense of toughness in them.

Oh God, I wanted to absolutely HANG Mike Singletary towards the end of last year. I mean, it was so completely obvious that they didn't know what they were doing on the sidelines that it was one of the most embarrassing teams to watch even though they may have had more wins than some of the teams in the past. Nevertheless, he did bring a lot of toughness to the squad. That didn't just vanish and get replaced by Harbaugh's brand of toughness, no. Teams are like children, influenced by those who teach them from one stage of development to the next. Like it or not, Singletary left a mark on this team and mostly for the better. He was tactically very good, but strategically he was positively clueless.
I guess we should thank Nolan too
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
I guess we should thank Nolan too

Ok ok thank the both of them. As long as no one wants to thank TDon.
I know this won't be popular but I really think that the genesis of this team has a lot to do with the attitude that Singletary instilled in the players during his brief tenure. One thing you could almost always say about his teams where that they fought hard to the bitter end each and every week. They were generally outcoached and woefully underprepared, but on talent and will alone they were able to compete. Harbaugh, a fiery competitor himself, has kept that up and added the missing pieces in terms of preparation and strategy. I will say however, I don't think Harbaugh by himself would inspire the respect and admiration that Singletary did in the locker room as quickly as he did. For that, we owe Mike Singletary a debt of gratitude for helping this team grow into what it's becoming this season.

Singletary would probably sit Smith in the second half.
f**k singletary
He gets credit for fixing Vernon, but that is absolutely it. Singletary was one of, if not THE worst, coach of all time, and no I'm not exaggerating. That win gets Harbaugh's stamp only.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
f**k singletary

Originally posted by blunt_probe:
He gets credit for fixing Vernon, but that is absolutely it. Singletary was one of, if not THE worst, coach of all time, and no I'm not exaggerating. That win gets Harbaugh's stamp only.

Well said fellows!
I don't think DINGLE-BERRY had anything to do with the win. You could point to McCoughlan and Baalke more by giving us high character players. DINGLE-BERRY beat the living crap out of the players last year, but I think that burned out the team. Harbaugh had a different spin. It's not about SMASHMOUTH football, but he had them doing 3 hour practices, not beating the crap out of each other, but giving them a taste of what the game is going to be like.

DINGLE-BERRY was not an x and o's guy, he was a checkers player and not a CHESS player like Harbaugh. DINGLE-BERRY also used to yell at his players or go crazy over penalties (Harbaugh does too), but DINGLE-BERRY would be so thrown off he wouldn't be into the game.

SAMURAI MIKE wasn't ready for prime time and WILL NEVER get another shot to Head coach on the NFL level. Take that to the bank.
It's like how I say the SF Giants wouldn't have won it all last year without Barry Zito and Aaron Rowand. Without their suckage, the Giants wouldn't have been able to draft guys that helped the team like Bumgarner and Posey.

Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
f**k singletary

Well said fellows!

+1 to these guys.

Next to no credit IMO. Good guy, Gave his best, but not fit to be a NFL head coach. Not by a long shot. Not yet at least.

I still remember Singletary yelling at Smith for deciding in the last split second to throw to Davis instead of running in for a score. While Singletary was technically right (because Smith was very close to crossing the LOS,) that was not something to be worked up about. Davis probably loves Smith from that day on.
In a recent interview about the comeback, Alex Smith said the attitude was different compared to past teams. During halftime it wasn't about emotion, it was about the little details and just executing better. So no, I don't think it was the attitude Singletary instilled that helped us come back...it was Harbaugh's attention to details.
That is the most ridiculous statement that I have heard this year. It took this team about 2 weeks to figure out that Sing was all talk and no walk. When your game plan is to run the ball into an eight man box play after play then you are a joke and not a coach.
I know this won't be popular but I really think that the genesis of this team has a lot to do with the attitude that Singletary instilled in the players during his brief tenure. One thing you could almost always say about his teams where that they fought hard to the bitter end each and every week. They were generally outcoached and woefully underprepared, but on talent and will alone they were able to compete. Harbaugh, a fiery competitor himself, has kept that up and added the missing pieces in terms of preparation and strategy. I will say however, I don't think Harbaugh by himself would inspire the respect and admiration that Singletary did in the locker room as quickly as he did. For that, we owe Mike Singletary a debt of gratitude for helping this team grow into what it's becoming this season.

Mike is that you? Now stop talking all crazy, and get back to teaching the Vikings how to be winners!
Share 49ersWebzone