There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith's QBR (ESPN stat) for the Philly game?

• kdogg
  • Veteran
I guessed he would be in the 50's after reading he was in the high 40's for the Cowboys game. This stat is now lame.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Ya I usually update it week by week ut not gonna do that this week

This proves that stat is meaningless

I hope sand gives an explanation why it's so low

I don't see how 65% comp 2 TD 0INT 270 yards and a 20 point comeback win can get you a low rating

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/47325/qbr-ranks-parsing-alex-smiths-showing

Article-fail. When did Kendall Hunter score a TD? Oh wait, he didn't.
This is a case of math getting ahead of itself. I like the idea of the QBR, but it doesn't make sense half the time and is much too complicated. They are trying to replace the antiquated QB rating system. But this is a swing too far in the other direction. This is a foolish to minimize Smith's performance like that.
It`s ESPN, who gives a sh*t.

F**K ESPN!

Only thing good on ESPN is MNF....
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:
He had a lame first half, an outstanding 3rd quarter, and a solid 4th quarter. that does seem way too low though. Conversely, the traditional rating has put him way too high this year. Smith has found the loophole in the traditional QB rating stat: do very short high % dump offs and you'll jack up the rating. That's not his intent, but that has been the result however.

Yeah, right, just like Joe Montana found a way to jack up his QB rating.
Total QBR is geared towards s*cking Tom Brady and Mike Vick's collective sacks.
When I fist heard of this new QBR I felt like I was watching the scene from Baseketball where they try and explain the playoff system.

Dan Patrick: With the first nine months of the Baseketball postseason out of the way, the playoff picture is starting to emerge.

Kenny Mayne: So, with last night's victory over Boston, next week the Milwaukee Beers must beat Indianapolis in order to advance to Charlotte. That's in an effort to reduce their magic number to three.

Dan Patrick: Right, and then the Beers can advance to the National Eastern Division North to play Tampa.

Kenny Mayne: So, if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play LA and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

P.S. I am still waiting for the two-man sack race!!!!
[ Edited by 36MertonHanks on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM ]
This is what happens when nerds talk football.

This ESPN QBR is now akin to Paraage Marathe being able to veto Walsh and McVay with his computer. Simply stupid.
fuk that metric...better yet, fuk all metrics. all i care about is a positive turnover differential, and winning football games.
Its astounding that very few people realize that the QB rating system(any) was never meant to be used for single game performance analysis

Ever wonder why this rating system comes with a max????

Its a full season measuring tool, the closer you get to a full season, the more meaningful it becomes
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the two fumbles and 3 sacks take a huge hit out of his numbers.

stats are incredibly useful, but obviously anyone who watched the game knows that that doesn't reflect what happened in the game.

yeah, but the traditional stat also way over-inflated his results from the previous 3 games. They both have their liabilities.

I think you have a valid point, but here are some stats I find interesting... Alex is 5th in the NFL in Pct...

Alex is 16th in average yards per completion with 7.4.
15th Mathew Stafford (7.6 yards).
17th Jay Cutler (7.3)
18th Ryan Fitzpatrick (7.2)
21st Matt Ryan (6.9)

I'm sure you would consider all these QB's better than Alex? Stafford has pretty much the same yards per completion and Cutler, Fitz and Ryan are lower.

So Alex is high in completion rate but mediocre in yards per completion. That is consistent with what we are seeing. Not sure if there was an argument you were trying to make? The data speaks for itself IMO.
Who cares about ESPN and why do they feel they need their own rating? It's obviously not indicative of reality.
wow, i actually thought the ESPN QBR was better. they need to tweak it because that's just flat out retarded

BTW Mark Sanchez 0.6 LOL
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Oct 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM ]

stats are incredibly useful, but obviously anyone who watched the game knows that that doesn't reflect what happened in the game.

yeah, but the traditional stat also way over-inflated his results from the previous 3 games. They both have their liabilities.

I think you have a valid point, but here are some stats I find interesting... Alex is 5th in the NFL in Pct...

17th Jay Cutler (7.3)
21st Matt Ryan (6.9)

I'm sure you would consider all these QB's better than Alex? Stafford has pretty much the same yards per completion and Cutler, Fitz and Ryan are lower.

So Alex is high in completion rate but mediocre in yards per completion. That is consistent with what we are seeing. Not sure if there was an argument you were trying to make? The data speaks for itself IMO.

He's saying "captain checkdown" has more yards per completion than qb's many would consider better, and with better completion percentage to boot.

At least I think
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

17th Jay Cutler (7.3)
21st Matt Ryan (6.9)

He's saying "captain checkdown" has more yards per completion than qb's many would consider better, and with better completion percentage to boot.

At least I think

That's because he hasn't been captain checkdown in the WCO. It has been progressions and 2nd/3rd options who are still 5-9 yards away. We over react when he quickly checks down to the RB once or twice.