Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Thread

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
That depends how well he does. If he does really well he may be a hot commodity. It remains to be seen. There are 12 games left and potentially playoff games after that. Lots of teams don't have a QB. So if we get one who finally develops it would be unwise to let him leave. I don't think he will leave anyway. He likes Harbaugh. This year has already started off with success. And I think it can continue.

this, and I hope Kaep improves so much in the offseason, that he pushes alex further. Not only that, but sets himself up for trade bait. And we keep tolz as our real back up.

Next year.

1) Alex Smith - resigned.
2) Scott Tolzien.

Kaep just looks like he has no clue what to do in a pocket. Maybe 3 - 5 years to develop him.

This.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
SD49er, I think we are arguing two different things here. I understand it would be unwise to let him leave if he does well.....I get that. I know where he is in QBR right now. I know our record. I just dont know what any of that has to do with franchise tagging him.

Like I have repeatedly said in this thread, RESIGN ALEX IF HE DOES WELL. DONT LET HIM LEAVE. I never condoned the idea of letting him walk if he does well. But again, franchise tagging him is absolutely asinine. He is NOT worth the tag. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Is there anyone in this thread that knows how the tag works besides me? Jesus Christ.

instead of criticizing why dont you explain the way it works?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I'm torn about bringing Alex back to be honest. We've gotta finish 9-7 or better PLUS get a play off win or at least hang in there in the play offs. But hey who knows...if Alex plays like he did in the 2nd half yesterday....we may finish better than 10-6 and go deep in the playoffs. Bottom line: still too early to tell.

On to the Bucs.

THIS.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
That depends how well he does. If he does really well he may be a hot commodity. It remains to be seen. There are 12 games left and potentially playoff games after that. Lots of teams don't have a QB. So if we get one who finally develops it would be unwise to let him leave. I don't think he will leave anyway. He likes Harbaugh. This year has already started off with success. And I think it can continue.

this, and I hope Kaep improves so much in the offseason, that he pushes alex further. Not only that, but sets himself up for trade bait. And we keep tolz as our real back up.

Next year.

1) Alex Smith - resigned.
2) Scott Tolzien.

Kaep just looks like he has no clue what to do in a pocket. Maybe 3 - 5 years to develop him.

This.

I could see it playing out like that, but then again maybe kid will surprise us. Either way I'm excited that we have three youngsters @ qb, Alex is starting to reach his potential, who knows what the ceiling is for the other two.
Not torn at all unless they bring in someone better. I don't believe in evaluating talent out of context...who do you have to replace him? How long will it take to get that replacement up to speed?

If Harbaugh brings in Josh Johnson because he believes he is better than Smith, great. But short of a scenario like that I dont' see CK being ready.
Originally posted by OX49er253:
Here's the thing, stats aside Alex has a different look about him. It's not something I could quantify with hard facts, but it's just the eye ball test and the gut feeling. I'll be honest I never liked Alex. Not saying I didn't support him, but I was in the Rodgers camp at draft day. And I just hated that even when things were bad, Alex never looked or felt the part of Franchise QB. I'm not even talking about his play on the field. I'm talking about his body language, his interviews, how he carried himself. I said to myself...he looks like a nice guy, but not an NFL QB. But this season man something has fundamentally changed in him.

He has a little bit more of a confident swagger, he looks comfortable not only with the offense he is running but with his coach backing him, and his teammates backing him. For the first time in his tenure here at SF he looks like a leader on the field. He doesn't look like the scared kid with happy feet, and a poor self esteem. Im not blaming him for all the past stuff, and Im still am certainly holding him accountable for not living up to his draft status. However, a better coach, putting him in a better situation, with a better playing environment has worked wonders for Alex. His body language, his poise, his apperance, it's a total 180 from what I used to see in him. It's still too early to tell, but if we can't label Harbaugh a QB guru after the job he has done with Alex so far...then no one can have that label. I'm not saying Smith will be a HOF, but he is certainly looking like he can be a viable winning NFL QB, and a leader of men.

well said---plus Alex is now 27-28 years old---around that age something kicks in inside most men's brains---they grow up!
It doesnt matter how well he does. At all. Maybe he IS a hot commodity after the season. Doesnt matter. Alex Smith is NOT worth franchise tag status. Period.

I said it earlier, and I will say it again. Anyone who thinks Alex is (or potentially is) franchise tag worthy either does not have a fundamental understanding of how the franchise tag works, or is a moron. Period.

So, we win the super bowl and he is the MVP...still not worth a tag?
Harbaugh will do the right thing and Alex will want to come back too.

No, but it's the Yorks - they're all bad and the GM is worse. The York taint must be challenged and excised right?
[ Edited by NinerGM on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Nuns:
Carlos is earning himself a very large payday. I hope he likes it in SF and wants to stay. That dude can cover.

He'd look even better with decent Safety help over the top.

LOL @ the people who didn't think Rogers was an upgrade over Nate Clements because he didn't have a bunch of INTs on his NFL.com stat page (as if Nate did).

I've said all along that Rogers is a good cover corner, he just has bad hands and usually doesn't make those INTs, but he breaks up a lot of passes and doesn't get burned often.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It doesnt matter how well he does. At all. Maybe he IS a hot commodity after the season. Doesnt matter. Alex Smith is NOT worth franchise tag status. Period.

I said it earlier, and I will say it again. Anyone who thinks Alex is (or potentially is) franchise tag worthy either does not have a fundamental understanding of how the franchise tag works, or is a moron. Period.

So, we win the super bowl and he is the MVP...still not worth a tag?

Just under 18 million dollars a year? He can walk.

Id resign him to a nice contract for sure. If that couldnt get done, we could find someone else for far less money. If Alex has a great 2011, I absolutely would want him back. But not at Tom Bradys salary. No thanks.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM ]
Just under 18 million dollars a year? He can walk.

Id resign him to a nice contract for sure. If that couldnt get done, we could find someone else for far less money. If Alex has a great 2011, I absolutely would want him back. But not at Tom Bradys salary. No thanks.

So, if he outplays Tom Brady he still isn't worth Tom Brady money? Makes no sense, but as this is a very unlikely hypothetical I'll drop it. Just don't like absolutes.
Originally posted by Mrpelonsj:
don't mean to rain on anybody's parade....I'm happy were winning........but doesn't it feel like we've been very lucky on these wins?........don't get me wrong we will take the win.........i just hope we continue winning

I don't believe in luck. But I agree not to get too crazy in proclaiming the 49ers "arrival" on the NFL scene. They are squeking out close wins with an offense that struggles. Good job to them on the comeback, but the comeback scenerio was created after Andy Lee was their featured player for the first half of the game. I'd like to think this is the beginning of a process for them to have a good offense for years to come - but it is the beginning of that process, and there will be ups & downs along the way.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
I don't care about his past performance. Means nothing to me. He can fail for 6 years. And if he is good / very good in year 7 it's unwise to let him leave. That just means he had injuries and stupid HC's like NoWin and SingleBrainCell. If he develops later that's ok. The point is he develops. He's sitting at what 8th in QB rating. And we are 3 - 1. Sounds pretty good to me so far....

this

SD49er, I think we are arguing two different things here. I understand it would be unwise to let him leave if he does well.....I get that. I know where he is in QBR right now. I know our record. I just dont know what any of that has to do with franchise tagging him.

Like I have repeatedly said in this thread, RESIGN ALEX IF HE DOES WELL. DONT LET HIM LEAVE. I never condoned the idea of letting him walk if he does well. But again, franchise tagging him is absolutely asinine. He is NOT worth the tag. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Is there anyone in this thread that knows how the tag works besides me? Jesus Christ.
Pardon me fellas, you are arguing and 80 is starting to say warnable things about something that will never happen. First off, if Smith even plays up to his #1 pick potential, he will still stay here, the guy is a Niner and I don't think we would slap a franchise tag on him if he did want to leave. So the franchise tag is pretty much a moot point.
My prediction is rogers yes and Edwards and Smith No. I think rogers will be solid no matter what and however the team finishes we need good players in the secondary. Edwards I think can be good but he has a history of not working out. He needs to get healthy and he needs to show that he can stretch the field. Smith I like his improvements so far and I think he will get better but at the end of the day he has to be consistent. I don't care about the stats unless they blow me away. Orton had 4000 yards last year but that doesn't mean jack. I know Alex can beat Seattle and Arizona, etc... Beating the playoff caliber teams is more important to me. Philly was a good start. You cannot play good against Philly and then take a step back with Clevland. He should play solid against the weaker teams and start to pick them apart if he is getting better. Even if we do finish 10-6 but he still struggles from week to week I don't care about 3000 yards and 20tds.
Man, imagine what Harbaugh could have done with Rogers....sorry, couldn't resist.