There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith Thread

I think there is a strong possibility he signs another 1 year deal or even a multi year deal with us. He's had so many offensive coordinators and garbage HC's. Now he really likes Harbaugh a lot and respects him. And he's playing better under him. I honestly don't think he would leave to another team for more money. If he can have Harbaugh again he will stay even for a little less money. Rogers and Edwards need to be resigned also.

If Alex wins 9 - 10 games and we win the division and we get to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade Alex will be back IMO. And he should be. Kaep looks like 3 years away if ever. Do you really want to go through that again? We got a #1 pick finally playing better under Harbaugh. Why not ride with that? It would be absurd not to. And like I said I think Alex will lean toward coming back with Harbaugh if he has success. More money won't mean much to him if it means a new system, new OC, and new HC. He would take a huge risk there based on his history and temperment.
What do you people on NT not understand about the franchise tag?

If we franchise Alex Smith (regardless of how he does this year), we have the stupidest ownership/front office in the NFL.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

If we franchise Alex Smith (regardless of how he does this year), we have the stupidest ownership/front office in the NFL.

It's not stupid if he does well.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think there is a strong possibility he signs another 1 year deal or even a multi year deal with us. He's had so many offensive coordinators and garbage HC's. Now he really likes Harbaugh a lot and respects him. And he's playing better under him. I honestly don't think he would leave to another team for more money. If he can have Harbaugh again he will stay even for a little less money. Rogers and Edwards need to be resigned also.

If Alex wins 9 - 10 games and we win the division and we get to the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade Alex will be back IMO. And he should be. Kaep looks like 3 years away if ever. Do you really want to go through that again? We got a #1 pick finally playing better under Harbaugh. Why not ride with that? It would be absurd not to. And like I said I think Alex will lean toward coming back with Harbaugh if he has success. More money won't mean much to him if it means a new system, new OC, and new HC. He would take a huge risk there based on his history and temperment.

No, no, the organization is dumb and they will do the stupid thing regardless of success right SanDiego? I mean that's we think right? We're a team in our hatred of every York and as long as they own the team, it was always suck.

Its extremely stupid. You serious? If he does really well, resign him. Thats pretty much your only option.

Anyone who thinks we should franchise tag Alex does not have a fundamental understanding of how the tag works, or is a moron.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:

No, no, the organization is dumb and they will do the stupid thing regardless of success right SanDiego? I mean that's we think right? We're a team in our hatred of every York and as long as they own the team, it was always suck.

Harbaugh will do the right thing and Alex will want to come back too.

It absolutely is stupid. You serious? He does really well, resign him. Period.

I think there is a strong chance we resign him and he will want to resign. How that happens is open to debate and depends on how well he does too.

I think there is a strong chance we resign him and he will want to resign. How that happens is open to debate and depends on how well he does too.

I dont understand your point. Your argument is all over the place. I wasnt saying we shouldnt resign him if he does well. I was saying it was idiotic to franchise tag him, which you disagreed with.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Oct 3, 2011 at 7:01 PM ]

I dont understand your point. Your argument is all over the place. I wasnt saying we shouldnt resign him if he does well. I was saying it was idiotic to franchise tag him, which you disagreed with.

That depends how well he does. If he does really well he may be a hot commodity. It remains to be seen. There are 12 games left and potentially playoff games after that. Lots of teams don't have a QB. So if we get one who finally develops it would be unwise to let him leave. I don't think he will leave anyway. He likes Harbaugh. This year has already started off with success. And I think it can continue.
That depends how well he does. If he does really well he may be a hot commodity. It remains to be seen. There are 12 games left and potentially playoff games after that. Lots of teams don't have a QB. So if we get one who finally develops it would be unwise to let him leave. I don't think he will leave anyway. He likes Harbaugh. This year has already started off with success. And I think it can continue.

this, and I hope Kaep improves so much in the offseason, that he pushes alex further. Not only that, but sets himself up for trade bait. And we keep tolz as our real back up.

It doesnt matter how well he does. At all. Maybe he IS a hot commodity after the season. Doesnt matter. Alex Smith is NOT worth franchise tag status. Period.

I said it earlier, and I will say it again. Anyone who thinks Alex is (or potentially is) franchise tag worthy either does not have a fundamental understanding of how the franchise tag works, or is a moron. Period.

It doesnt matter how well he does. At all. Maybe he IS a hot commodity after the season. Doesnt matter. Alex Smith is NOT worth franchise tag status. Period.

I said it earlier, and I will say it again. Anyone who thinks Alex is (or potentially is) franchise tag worthy either does not have a fundamental understanding of how the franchise tag works, or is a moron. Period.

I don't care about his past performance. Means nothing to me. He can fail for 6 years. And if he is good / very good in year 7 it's unwise to let him leave. That just means he had injuries and stupid HC's like NoWin and SingleBrainCell. If he develops later that's ok. The point is he develops. He's sitting at what 8th in QB rating. And we are 3 - 1. Sounds pretty good to me so far....
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

this, and I hope Kaep improves so much in the offseason, that he pushes alex further. Not only that, but sets himself up for trade bait. And we keep tolz as our real back up.

Next year.

1) Alex Smith - resigned.
2) Scott Tolzien.

Kaep just looks like he has no clue what to do in a pocket. Maybe 3 - 5 years to develop him.
I don't care about his past performance. Means nothing to me. He can fail for 6 years. And if he is good / very good in year 7 it's unwise to let him leave. That just means he had injuries and stupid HC's like NoWin and SingleBrainCell. If he develops later that's ok. The point is he develops. He's sitting at what 8th in QB rating. And we are 3 - 1. Sounds pretty good to me so far....

this
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:

this

SD49er, I think we are arguing two different things here. I understand it would be unwise to let him leave if he does well.....I get that. I know where he is in QBR right now. I know our record. I just dont know what any of that has to do with franchise tagging him.

Like I have repeatedly said in this thread, RESIGN ALEX IF HE DOES WELL. DONT LET HIM LEAVE. I never condoned the idea of letting him walk if he does well. But again, franchise tagging him is absolutely asinine. He is NOT worth the tag. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Is there anyone in this thread that knows how the tag works besides me? Jesus Christ.