There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

to the guys that witnessed the glory days...

Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I started going to 49ers games when DeBerg was the quarterback. I got to see the progression of the Niners and it was quite magical.

In 1981, Bill Walsh drafted an entire secondary, Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson and Lynn Thomas
He traded for Fred Dean when the san diego front office wouldn't redo his contract. He was the extra piece for the Defense that made it great. And he picked up Hacksaw Reynolds who was a real leader for the team. He was almost like another coach.
Joe Montana and the offense played great and Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, Charlie Young and a collection of mediocre running backs.
They had a strong defense and played a 3-4 (seem familiar), and our offense wasn't the juggernaut it was going to become, but they moved the ball. I remember the 49ers scored a ton of field goals and Montana managed the game. (What harbaugh is trying to get alex to do.)
The team was relied a lot on its defense and the defense with Ronnie Lott and Dwight Hicks scored a lot of points for them. Hicks had 9 picks with 220 return yards. Dallas was the huge hurdle and to beat them twice in the same year was a miracle at the time. The 49ers caught lightning in a bottle but in 1982 the 49ers were exposed for not having a run game and defense suffered.

1983 Walsh trades for Wendell Tyler who was a great back and drafts Roger Craig. He adapts the team to mix more of a balance of run and pass. The West Coast offense really opens up. WEST COAST OFFENSE is flying on all cylinders. Montana with more weapons becomes the dominant passer that he was known for. And if it wasn't for a b******t penalty called on Ronnie Lott against the Redskins we would have played the Raiders in the Super Bowl would have kicked their ass.

1984 BEST TEAM EVER.....Eddie D with the 49ers is making a lot of money and they go out and spend the Money. This team had so many weapons and the defense was fierce. Everyone in the league was jealous of the 49ers. They were so fun to watch. They could look so good with precision passes spread all over, hard runs by Craig, and bursts by Tyler. And the Defense would LAY THE WOOD. They were not a finesse team on defense. BEST TEAM EVER!!!!

1985 Jerry Rice's rookie year. I remember watching Jerry in his first year and you could see flashes of greatness with Jerry but the thing I remember early on was that he dropped a lot of passes, but he kept getting better.

1985-1994 Montana and Young - GREAT DOMINANT TEAM......Brilliant West Coast Offense with Jerry Rice becoming the best player ever to play the game. A sick sick receiver. A GREAT WEST COAST OFFENSE looks awesome. And the team played it's best ball in the big games.

MAN I MISS THE OLD DAYS.......give Harbaugh time to bring the magic back. He is working with a much better foundation than Bill Walsh had in 1978. I hope we see some of that greatness in the second half of the season. GO 49ers!

I started watching at 10 in 87 so this was a great summary of the years before I picked up watching.
The Niners were playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers at that time. It was poetry on a football field. Take any starter out and a top shelf replacement took his place without skipping a beat. Players from other teams openly reverse tampered and wanted to play here. It was like watching the Bull's during the MJ years or Magic's Laker teams. They were always in it till the end.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We didn't have the Yorks. And we were winning Super Bowls.

This
Dude, the experience having watched the niners during the glory years was unlike any other. First of all, with Montana, you always knew as a fan and always could predict with certainty and be confident and proud in doing so that if the niners were behind and usually not more than a touchdown that Montana would give you a show during the final seconds of a game. You knew that if you had under one minute left or less than that, it was enough time to drive across the entire field. Montana was a surgeon and you knew you were about to witness surgery. Imagine enjoying that confidence for years and then watching Steve Young enter the game replacing an injured Montana and watching him blow up the opponent and knowing with certainty you were going to enjoy further years of dominance with Young and of course seeing the exact experience repeat itself. those were the glory years.
I am from out west young man, and i remember the 88, 89, 94 superbowl champion Niners like it was yesterday. I remember moving out to the midwest (Missouri) right around 90 and was blown away on how everyone was wearing Niner gear (more Niner gear than Cowgirl gear). Man have times changed a ton, I hardly see any Niner gear anymore and when i do i be and sure and let them know they are a true fan. These guys are on their way back. Alex is probably not the answer but Harbs has a knack for molding QB's ala Josh Johnson (whom everyone will want next year due to free agency), and the stud in college oh whats his name haha.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We didn't have the Yorks. And we were winning Super Bowls.

This

Just watching those teams get to the line of scrimmage with Joe or Steve barking the signals. It was big time football, if any team had visions of going to the Super Bowl they'd have to go through SF. They never backed down to anyone and the season was a failure if they didn't win the Super Bowl. I doubt if you'll ever see a team dominate for two decades.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
The Niners were playing chess and everyone else was playing checkers at that time. It was poetry on a football field. Take any starter out and a top shelf replacement took his place without skipping a beat. Players from other teams openly reverse tampered and wanted to play here. It was like watching the Bull's during the MJ years or Magic's Laker teams. They were always in it till the end.

As a 49erFaithful always having lived in New Orleans, it was VERY rewarding to watch the Niners roll in their glory years. Had to take a lot of BS from family, friends, and idiots around here, but I always smiled and swelled with pride as I watched our boys whip so much arse. It's hard to describe. You know that feeling when as a youngster, you see your dad get provoked and he just commences to whip someone's arse? And you stand there thinking, wow... my dad just beat the snot outta that tool... how cool was that? It's kinda like that feeling... only it lasts for far longer.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
damn dude you gotta be the youngest on this board

Yeah, I didn't know there were young niner fans.... it hasn't been cool to be a 49er fan for a long time.

I was just a kid in Montana's day. I remember watching those 49ers with my Dad, but didn't really appreciate it cause I sure didn't know s**t about football. Although, I don't think I really appreciated the Steve Young era either because we had been great as long as I had known. I think being a fan of a team through the bad times makes the good times so much better. The last 10 years are going to make our next superbowl victory SO much better than anything that most of us can remember.
I was able to wear this bad boy and not get clowned.

[ Edited by suso365 on Oct 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM ]
it was awesome. that is all.
The players were great, the coaching was great, the ownership was great.

It was the perfect time, perfect everything.

The 49ers simply made the other organizations seem stupid and incompetent. It was textbook, and beyond.

This was a time that will never return, and young fans will just have to gather around the campfire and listen to the elders trying to pass along the lore. U tube cannot fully describe more than the actual games and that was only part of it.

Still, there could be good times ahead that will be fondly remembered themselves.
I was 15 when the 1981 team won the first Lombardi. 1982 was a strike year and 1983 we made it back to the NFC Championship game and lost. Then in 1984 the dynasty talk started to come together.

After Superbowl 19 in Palo Alto winning the Division title became an assumed thing and the important issue was home field advantage throughout the playoffs. We had some tough battles within the division, usually with a different upstart every year. The Dickerson led Rams had their shots, Hebert and the Saints and that wicked "Dome Patrol" LB corp of Swilling, Johnson, Jackson and Mills (their LB coach was Vic Fangio) . . . they were usually a tough win, at least in New Orleans, and the Falcons would have pesky teams from time to time. Carolina usually played us tough when they came into the league.

But after we dethroned Cowboys the real battles in the 80's were with Parcells and the Giants, Gibbs and the Redskins and Ditka and the Bears. Every year it seemed that we had at least one epic regular season Monday night game with one of those teams and then we'd see them again in the playoffs.

It was special. We were lucky for sure.

I can't imagine what it would have been like if the internet was around back then. The only way to vent about the team (other than at the bar or water cooler) was on talk radio and letters to the editor. Imagine if your weekly Niner news consisted of maybe three or four feature stories per week and a couple paragraphs per day on the day to day stuff in the local fish wrap . . . and Wayne Walker's 30 minute 49er Match-up show on KPIX. That was about it in the 80's.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I started going to 49ers games when DeBerg was the quarterback. I got to see the progression of the Niners and it was quite magical.

In 1981, Bill Walsh drafted an entire secondary, Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson and Lynn Thomas
He traded for Fred Dean when the san diego front office wouldn't redo his contract. He was the extra piece for the Defense that made it great. And he picked up Hacksaw Reynolds who was a real leader for the team. He was almost like another coach.
Joe Montana and the offense played great and Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, Charlie Young and a collection of mediocre running backs.
They had a strong defense and played a 3-4 (seem familiar), and our offense wasn't the juggernaut it was going to become, but they moved the ball. I remember the 49ers scored a ton of field goals and Montana managed the game. (What harbaugh is trying to get alex to do.)
The team was relied a lot on its defense and the defense with Ronnie Lott and Dwight Hicks scored a lot of points for them. Hicks had 9 picks with 220 return yards. Dallas was the huge hurdle and to beat them twice in the same year was a miracle at the time. The 49ers caught lightning in a bottle but in 1982 the 49ers were exposed for not having a run game and defense suffered.

1983 Walsh trades for Wendell Tyler who was a great back and drafts Roger Craig. He adapts the team to mix more of a balance of run and pass. The West Coast offense really opens up. WEST COAST OFFENSE is flying on all cylinders. Montana with more weapons becomes the dominant passer that he was known for. And if it wasn't for a b******t penalty called on Ronnie Lott against the Redskins we would have played the Raiders in the Super Bowl would have kicked their ass.

1984 BEST TEAM EVER.....Eddie D with the 49ers is making a lot of money and they go out and spend the Money. This team had so many weapons and the defense was fierce. Everyone in the league was jealous of the 49ers. They were so fun to watch. They could look so good with precision passes spread all over, hard runs by Craig, and bursts by Tyler. And the Defense would LAY THE WOOD. They were not a finesse team on defense. BEST TEAM EVER!!!!

1985 Jerry Rice's rookie year. I remember watching Jerry in his first year and you could see flashes of greatness with Jerry but the thing I remember early on was that he dropped a lot of passes, but he kept getting better.

1985-1994 Montana and Young - GREAT DOMINANT TEAM......Brilliant West Coast Offense with Jerry Rice becoming the best player ever to play the game. A sick sick receiver. A GREAT WEST COAST OFFENSE looks awesome. And the team played it's best ball in the big games.

MAN I MISS THE OLD DAYS.......give Harbaugh time to bring the magic back. He is working with a much better foundation than Bill Walsh had in 1978. I hope we see some of that greatness in the second half of the season. GO 49ers!

My family has had season tickets going back to the 50's. My first game was when we played the Browns in 68 at old Kezar stadium. Suffered through 2 NFC Championship loses to Dallas in the early 70's, so when Walsh came along you could see a lot change especially in '80.

The 81 team will always be special at the time we had an unknown QB a rookie secondary with a left over SS decent DL and know running game yet becase of the system the Walsh put in we got our first SB. People forget it was Walsh who really instituted situational substitutions specifically with Dean. In those days players were still expected to play all 3 down, yards and a cloud of dust all the sudden here is Walsh using the pass almost as a hand off and LB who were drafted as run stoppers could not keep up with TE and RB in Walsh system. Eric Wright has never recieved the credit he is due he was a pure shut down CB but because he was a very shy person never got the attention due.

OldNiner is right many on this board talk about the 94 team but the 84 SB team far and away is the greatest team we had. Came within a field goal of going 16-0. Defense was ranked #1 or #2 that year and we averged 24-31 points a game. Teams FEARED us. Many times you could just see the life sucked out of an oppenonet by half time all they wanted to do was get on the plane and never see us again. The SB was awesome all week it was about how the Dolphins were going to light us up (typical east coast media) but we just destroyed Marino and the Dolphins

Somebody once said that we would never see a franchise ever dominant like the 49ers ever again and I believe they are true. For 21 years we dominated the NFL only NE is close yet NE barley won there SB's and even Championship games and they have not maintained the high level of play like the Niners. It was an amazing run and something you really had to experience especially at the Stick. To know you are probably going to win before a game even starts is wild and to look at the team you are playing and they even know they are probably going to lose it was crazy.

Good times, my hope is that Harbaugh can bring some of that back