There are 369 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This article has it backwards!

49ers running game hurt by poor passing attack


http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/30/3949833/matthew-barrows-49ers-running.html#mi_rss=49ers

The title says it all. Backwards in my opinion
Uh, no the article is actually spot on. This has been a problem for years now and it's a testament to Frank Gore that he has been able to do what he has done with no support through the air. And people wonder why he's already broken down?
[ Edited by zillabeast on Sep 30, 2011 at 3:33 AM ]
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Uh, no the article is actually spot on. This has been a problem for years now and it's a testament to Frank Gore that he has been able to do what he has done with no support through the air. And people wonder why he's already broken down?

+1
Didn't read the article, but the running game IS hurt by the lack of a passing attack. If a team isn't scared of you passing on them, they'll stack the box and hurt the run.
This team in general is hurt by line play. Teams are blitzing us and just stopping the run on the way to the qb, we don't throw enough screens or quick passes to keep them honest, which is messed up because Smith has been one of the top qbs throwing against the blitz this year. The offense is not working in general because the line is blocking poorly, which leads to the skill players not having the time to get open to make plays. You can't really blame it on the passing game when it is the only part of the offense working. You have to look no further than the offensive line to see why the offense as a whole is struggling. Bottom line everyone is responsible from the coaches to the playcallers to the players. I expect the offense to get better as the line does.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This team in general is hurt by line play. Teams are blitzing us and just stopping the run on the way to the qb, we don't throw enough screens or quick passes to keep them honest, which is messed up because Smith has been one of the top qbs throwing against the blitz this year. The offense is not working in general because the line is blocking poorly, which leads to the skill players not having the time to get open to make plays. You can't really blame it on the passing game when it is the only part of the offense working. You have to look no further than the offensive line to see why the offense as a whole is struggling. Bottom line everyone is responsible from the coaches to the playcallers to the players. I expect the offense to get better as the line does.

Agree. Just hope I sooner rathet than later
The offense suffers because the OLine allows too many sacks and doesn't create running lanes. You don't need to be a genius to figure out if the running lanes were open we'd be averaging 5-6 yds a run w/ a back of Gore's capability. Look at all the penalties - I've never seen a whole OLine called for being offsides - ever!

The old saying is true - The War is Won in the Trenches.

Once they start to gel everything will get better. The passing game will open up, the Defense will be more rested and we'll be much harder to game plan for.
its goes both ways and i think the culprit is the o line

in teh 2nd half of the cincy game we saw a huge improvement main reason was because we didnt see the o line false start or hold as a result we gained 150 yards throught he air in the half
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The offense suffers because the OLine allows too many sacks and doesn't create running lanes. You don't need to be a genius to figure out if the running lanes were open we'd be averaging 5-6 yds a run w/ a back of Gore's capability. Look at all the penalties - I've never seen a whole OLine called for being offsides - ever!

The old saying is true - The War is Won in the Trenches.

Once they start to gel everything will get better. The passing game will open up, the Defense will be more rested and we'll be much harder to game plan for.

ok genius, it's more like when the play calling stops calling up goal line stands for every run...then things will open up
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This team in general is hurt by line play. Teams are blitzing us and just stopping the run on the way to the qb, we don't throw enough screens or quick passes to keep them honest, which is messed up because Smith has been one of the top qbs throwing against the blitz this year. The offense is not working in general because the line is blocking poorly, which leads to the skill players not having the time to get open to make plays. You can't really blame it on the passing game when it is the only part of the offense working. You have to look no further than the offensive line to see why the offense as a whole is struggling. Bottom line everyone is responsible from the coaches to the playcallers to the players. I expect the offense to get better as the line does.

this, exactly.

and it does go both ways, in general. If the running game was working, the passing game would open up more; if we could pass more effectively, the running game would open up. The common denominator is the line.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This team in general is hurt by line play. Teams are blitzing us and just stopping the run on the way to the qb, we don't throw enough screens or quick passes to keep them honest, which is messed up because Smith has been one of the top qbs throwing against the blitz this year. The offense is not working in general because the line is blocking poorly, which leads to the skill players not having the time to get open to make plays. You can't really blame it on the passing game when it is the only part of the offense working. You have to look no further than the offensive line to see why the offense as a whole is struggling. Bottom line everyone is responsible from the coaches to the playcallers to the players. I expect the offense to get better as the line does.

I sort of disagree here. Teams are not just blitzing on us, they are bringing more guys than we can block. It is on the QB/WR/TE to be able to execute the quick-hit one-step throws. We are not doing this because Harbaugh doesn't call it or the QB/WR/TE cannot execute it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I sort of disagree here. Teams are not just blitzing on us, they are bringing more guys than we can block. It is on the QB/WR/TE to be able to execute the quick-hit one-step throws. We are not doing this because Harbaugh doesn't call it or the QB/WR/TE cannot execute it.

most teams could probably just rush one guy and this would be true.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I sort of disagree here. Teams are not just blitzing on us, they are bringing more guys than we can block. It is on the QB/WR/TE to be able to execute the quick-hit one-step throws. We are not doing this because Harbaugh doesn't call it or the QB/WR/TE cannot execute it.

most teams could probably just rush one guy and this would be true.

Damn our OL sucks.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Didn't read the article, but the running game IS hurt by the lack of a passing attack. If a team isn't scared of you passing on them, they'll stack the box and hurt the run.
It's just that simple!
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Didn't read the article, but the running game IS hurt by the lack of a passing attack. If a team isn't scared of you passing on them, they'll stack the box and hurt the run.
It's just that simple!

if you've never actually watched a football game, then yes.