There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could hunter be the spark the 49ers O needs?

• JMC52
  • Veteran
Let's be honest, our o- line needs to get there s**t together, and I love frank as much as the next guy, but could hunter be a young hungry change we need?
not even almost
Originally posted by HessianDud:
not even almost

agree
even if gore
Yes
I think he could be...but we'll see. I never got why the 49ers didn't mix in more RB2 the past 2 years. Hopefully they will moving forward.
He sure seems to be and I absolutely hope so. Let's not forget that nobody could game plan for him since they never saw him play this season. You can bet Eagles saw the film and are very concerned.
He's faster and more explosive at this point. Gore doesn't have much left.
i don't know about that. what i do know is that, as poor as the offensive line has played, gore has not helped AT ALL. it seems like there are several plays every game where there is a clear cut back lane and gore doesn't see it. it's almost like he refuses to improvise. he won't deviate from the the play diagram at all.

this is hurting us. no, it's not every run. he is getting hit in the backfield sometimes. but maybe if he just started seeing these opportunities more clearly we could get into a groove on the line and the problem would solve itself. can hunter do that? i don't know, maybe or maybe not.

one thing i dont like is the beatwriters saying "well hunter and gores average are about the same!" but they fail to mention that 1/3rd of hunters runs came on that last drive where we were just diving into the middle to run clock. hunter has looked better so far but i'm not ready to give up on frank. he's got some gas left in the tank
Hunter is the future which is beginning now at our RB position. He's the purest WCO-RB you could ask for (and he'll only get better in pass-protection). Frank Gore is f**king finished, we're probably gonna just use Gore for Amad Bradshaw-type situations on 3rd down/short-yardage situations towards the final years of his extension.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Based on what I've seen from him I think he should split carries with Gore. (assuming his pass blocking is up to snuff, but he seems to be pretty good)

He's quicker than Gore is, can catch the ball and like I said I think he's a decent pass blocker. He's not going to be any worse than Gore and he can be effective in the open field.

We need more quickness out of that spot, Gore just aint what he used to be and even he knows it.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:
i don't know about that. what i do know is that, as poor as the offensive line has played, gore has not helped AT ALL. it seems like there are several plays every game where there is a clear cut back lane and gore doesn't see it. it's almost like he refuses to improvise. he won't deviate from the the play diagram at all.

this is hurting us. no, it's not every run. he is getting hit in the backfield sometimes. but maybe if he just started seeing these opportunities more clearly we could get into a groove on the line and the problem would solve itself. can hunter do that? i don't know, maybe or maybe not.

one thing i dont like is the beatwriters saying "well hunter and gores average are about the same!" but they fail to mention that 1/3rd of hunters runs came on that last drive where we were just diving into the middle to run clock. hunter has looked better so far but i'm not ready to give up on frank. he's got some gas left in the tank

Good input thanks!
He better be the 'man' because I'm starting him in fantasy this week.
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for 1stAndGoal49ers.
Without a good run game the Eagles DB's will own the 49ers WR's. They will place a DB on Vernon and sit back and watch Alex Smith struggle. 49ers need to establish the run or we are dead.
Its looks like he might get the start this week and he might force the coaches hand if he plays well with Gore struggling and having an ankle injury. Which tend reoccur if you rush back. He has a chance steal a lot of Gores carries down the road.
[ Edited by duceduce2 on Sep 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM ]