LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after re-watching game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) I'm officially worried about Frank again. It wasn't just that he was sluggish...there were actually times that he looked almost disinterested. I NEVER thought that would have been the case. I'm not saying thats whats going on, but on a play where he was making a block and the guy breezed right by him for a sack, he just seemed disengaged. He may not be completely healthy, he may be having other troubles, but I'm starting the think we are at the beginning of the end for him.

2) Kendall Hunter needs more carries. When he came in there was just alot more energy. I'm not saying to bench Frank, I just think Hunter needs to get more touches. It almost reminds me of when Kevan Barlow was the starter and Gore was starting to take some of his carries. Frank is 100x the player Barlow ever was...but thats how it looks right now.

3) Aldon Smith is still a freak, but he's having trouble getting to the QB. He's not bursting off the line and is getting neutralized rather easily. I still think he's going to be a very good player tho. I think he's still learning the position.

4) Ray McDonald is still a monster. I'd say he's garnering Pro Bowl consideration if it wasn't so hard for a 3-4 end to make it. Justin Smith also overshadows him...but 3 weeks into the season, he's deserving.

5) Navorro Bowman. Woah. He's actually playing better than Willis right now. That spin on the pass-rush was something special.

6) David Akers. Wow. That guy is saving our a$$es. He hasn't missed yet and they haven't all been chip-shots.

7) Crabtree. If the line could actually give Alex a little time, he could be a factor. That catch-that-should-have-been in the endzone was very nice. The drop...not so much, but that isn't the norm with him.

8) Alex. Again...workmanlike performance under pressure. Hit like crazy, but not turning the ball over.

9) Bruce Miller. Clearly still getting used to having the ball in his hands, but appears to have the potential to be a much more dynamic FB than Norris has ever been.

10) Chilo Rachal. Uggg. I have defended him on this site in the past, but he had a ROUGH game. Yikes.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:45 AM ]
Child did stink it up, but the other guys are serving up s**t sandwiches too.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) I'm officially worried about Frank again. It wasn't just that he was sluggish...there were actually times that he looked almost disinterested. I NEVER thought that would have been the case. I'm not saying thats whats going on, but on a play where he was making a block and the guy breezed right by him for a sack, he just seemed disengaged. He may not be completely healthy, he may be having other troubles, but I'm starting the think we are at the beginning of the end for him.

2) Kendall Hunter needs more carries. When he came in there was just alot more energy. I'm not saying to bench Frank, I just think Hunter needs to get more touches. It almost reminds me of when Kevan Barlow was the starter and Gore was starting to take some of his carries. Frank is 100x the player Barlow ever was...but thats how it looks right now.

3) Aldon Smith is still a freak, but he's having trouble getting to the QB. He's not bursting off the line and is getting neutralized rather easily. I still think he's going to be a very good player tho. I think he's still learning the position.

4) Ray McDonald is still a monster. I'd say he's garnering Pro Bowl consideration if it wasn't so hard for a 3-4 end to make it. Justin Smith also overshadows him...but 3 weeks into the season, he's deserving.

5) Navorro Bowman. Woah. He's actually playing better than Willis right now. That spin on the pass-rush was something special.

6) David Akers. Wow. That guy is saving our a$$es. He hasn't missed yet and they haven't all been chip-shots.

7) Crabtree. If the line could actually give Alex a little time, he could be a factor. That catch-that-should-have-been in the endzone was very nice. The drop...not so much, but that isn't the norm with him.

8) Alex. Again...workmanlike performance under pressure. Hit like crazy, but not turning the ball over.

9) Bruce Miller. Clearly still getting used to having the ball in his hands, but appears to have the potential to be a much more dynamic FB than norris has ever been.

10) Chilo Rachal. Uggg. I have defended him on this site in the past, but he had a ROUGH game. Yikes.

Excellent read. I'm starting to look forward to your weekly recaps.

Totally agree on Bruce Miller. Starts off first half with an 11 yard catch, and starts off the second half with another catch. A new dimension/weapon for the offense.

They (the coaches) have got to do something about the OL!!!
The offensive formations are too bunched together and letting the opposing D just tee off on the line. Giving the O-line a disadvantage from the start.

Harbaugh needs to spread the Defense.
That play where Frank missed the block I was yelling at the TV! I've never seen Frank look like he didn't give a shiet. He almost just stood there. Then that dump off pass that hit him in the grill... his head was clearly not in the game. Something was wrong... Good to see that Harbaugh has the nuts to pull players out the game when they are having a rough time out there....
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Totally agree on Bruce Miller. Starts off first half with an 11 yard catch, and starts off the second half with another catch. A new dimension/weapon for the offense.

They just don't have the talent. These guys are just bad regardless of where they were drafted. If they start drastically switching guys around it could actually get worse. I honestly thought the o line would be a strong point this season. They are by far the most disappointing part of the team.
Originally posted by lamontb:

They just don't have the talent. These guys are just bad regardless of where they were drafted. If they start drastically switching guys around it could actually get worse. I honestly thought the o line would be a strong point this season. They are by far the most disappointing part of the team.

I agree that they and Gore are the biggest dissappointments so far, but I'm not prepared to say they don't have the talent. Thats not to say I won't be on that page at some point, I'm just not there yet.
the offense needs to get its head out of its ass.

9) Bruce Miller. Clearly still getting used to having the ball in his hands, but appears to have the potential to be a much more dynamic FB than Norris has ever been.

Good assessments. I think that the backfield deserves some credit this game because they played everything close, they didn't give up the big hurting play and they went and made plays, even ol slippery fingers Rogers got an interception and R. Smith got an interception. The LBs didn't get many sacks but apparently they pressured and hit Dalton, especially Brooks. So I see improvement, and now that B. Miller and Hunter are playing there is more energy and consistency on the field. Now if we can see Boone, and Kilgore we might have ourselves the start of an Oline.
Nice... I agree on all points. I still can't wait for Crabtree to hit his stride. He has pro bowl type talent. Yes, I'm staying optimistic. I love this front seven. Ray Mac is having a pro bowl season very early on.

Its kinda funny...I've heard the national media saying that Alex is coming off his primary reciever to quickly. Thats probably true, but its pretty hard to be critical of that when he's getting sacked 5 times per week and getting hit on various others.

I'm glad Alex is in there right now because if Kaep was in there I'd fear that he would be getting crushed and lose his confidense.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I agree that they and Gore are the biggest dissappointments so far, but I'm not prepared to say they don't have the talent. Thats not to say I won't be on that page at some point, I'm just not there yet.
OL is the biggest disappointment, to me. I agree that drastically switching guys around could actually make things worse. But the group that's out there has played together long enough to see they're not good, or effective.

Snyder for Rachal was effective in the second half.

But Snyder for Rachal permanently eliminates Snyder as the versatile, utility backup. So how about deactivating Rachal, starting Kilgore at RG, and leaving Snyder as the utility backup, for now?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Gore is infected with Portisitis
Its kinda funny...I've heard the national media saying that Alex is coming off his primary reciever to quickly. Thats probably true, but its pretty hard to be critical of that when he's getting sacked 5 times per week and getting hit on various others.

I'm glad Alex is in there right now because if Kaep was in there I'd fear that he would be getting crushed and lose his confidense.

That's exactly what happened to Smith. Got thrown to wolves... no chance to sit and watch to learn. Kaep would be another Alex Smith if he played this year.

True and I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't know how else to explain it. They play as if they don't know each other or practice together. Iupati and Staley seem to have a communication break down once a game. And Gore dam near left me speechless with his poor play. He needs a bounce back game.
Share 49ersWebzone