There are 149 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well that's what he is, what did you want him to call Alex?...A door knob?
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
"I thought Alex played extremely well," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He really managed the game well."

Fixed to show the only part of the sentence Alex haters see.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Reading way too much into the QB. I'm sure Bellicheck's made a similar somment about Brady at some point or Mccarthy about Rodges etc.

I don't know what many of you guys want. All Harbaugh had before this season is tape of Smith killing us in games with ill-timed turnovers. Now he's not and we're competitive in all games and not killing ourselves. So what if Smith is a "game manager"? That's better than what he has been before when he was a "game destroyer"

You guys already know Smith isn't gonna put up huge numbers yet you complain about it week in and week out even though we win games. The game we did lose was our D's fault.
Originally posted by Antix:
So what if Smith is a "game manager"? That's better than what he has been before when he was a "game destroyer"

True.

Superbowl teams have won with the likes of Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Jeff Hostetler.
Originally posted by 5280High:
When Alex was the #1 pick, then yes it's reasonable to expect a franchise QB... but we know how that has turned out so change the expectations to playing effectively and making plays when he has to. He can be a great game manager, not a great QB, but thats what we need right now. It's obvious by now he doesnt have the quick release, anticipation and bravado to be a gun slinger. But so what? he already busted as a #1 pick, the reality is that now he is establishing himself as a journeyman QB.

I dont see why a game manager is such a bad thing for this team RIGHT NOW. Strong D, good special teams, searching for a running game, injured WR's and limited offseason... this play may not be flashy, and it may not win against the perrenial powerhouses but it has a good shot at 8-8, optimistically 9-7 and making the playoffs. Not bad for a 6-10 team with a placeholder QB, declining RB, no line, no true #1 WR, and a half built secondary.

and this is what I have a problem with...I guess some of us just have different standards. (or maybe in your opinion different views of the reality of the situation.)

I think we are a pretty good team...GREAT Special teams, and when everyone gets back, above average Defense (imo, great Defense if we could sustain drives on offense to let them rest).

I guess we are just wasting our time this year....I'd rather we let Alex try to play great and put teams away...and if he struggles, then we move on...and let the youngsters get some experience...but more importantly, see how they react......if they look obviously lost out there, even with pretty good surrounding cast....then we should make moves in the offseason to either trade for a legit QB, sign a free agent QB (Matt Flynn) or draft another one.

I just want to get this thing rolling and get us a team that tries to win, and put games away in the 3rd QTR...rather than, try to keep it close and play not to lose (EVEN IF WE ARE WINNING..lol) all the way to the 4th QTR...only to lose at the end....and that is just against bad to average teams. Against Good teams, we would get blown out.

Look if Alex can play like Shaun Hill of 09, and have these long 8 min drives with dink and dunk passes that CONVERT 1st downs and take time of the clock and rests our defense....then I would not have a problem with him being a "game manager"..because with that approach we would beat good teams as well. But we are doing HORRIBLE on 3rd down conversions...and let alone just getting 1st down conversions.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by Antix:
So what if Smith is a "game manager"? That's better than what he has been before when he was a "game destroyer"

True.

Superbowl teams have won with the likes of Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Jeff Hostetler.

The bolded players have done things in games under difficult situations that Alex Smith could ever dream of.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 5280High:
When Alex was the #1 pick, then yes it's reasonable to expect a franchise QB... but we know how that has turned out so change the expectations to playing effectively and making plays when he has to. He can be a great game manager, not a great QB, but thats what we need right now. It's obvious by now he doesnt have the quick release, anticipation and bravado to be a gun slinger. But so what? he already busted as a #1 pick, the reality is that now he is establishing himself as a journeyman QB.

I dont see why a game manager is such a bad thing for this team RIGHT NOW. Strong D, good special teams, searching for a running game, injured WR's and limited offseason... this play may not be flashy, and it may not win against the perrenial powerhouses but it has a good shot at 8-8, optimistically 9-7 and making the playoffs. Not bad for a 6-10 team with a placeholder QB, declining RB, no line, no true #1 WR, and a half built secondary.

and this is what I have a problem with...I guess some of us just have different standards. (or maybe in your opinion different views of the reality of the situation.)

I think we are a pretty good team...GREAT Special teams, and when everyone gets back, above average Defense (imo, great Defense if we could sustain drives on offense to let them rest).

I guess we are just wasting our time this year....I'd rather we let Alex try to play great and put teams away...and if he struggles, then we move on...and let the youngsters get some experience...but more importantly, see how they react......if they look obviously lost out there, even with pretty good surrounding cast....then we should make moves in the offseason to either trade for a legit QB, sign a free agent QB (Matt Flynn) or draft another one.

I just want to get this thing rolling and get us a team that tries to win, and put games away in the 3rd QTR...rather than, try to keep it close and play not to lose (EVEN IF WE ARE WINNING..lol) all the way to the 4th QTR...only to lose at the end....and that is just against bad to average teams. Against Good teams, we would get blown out.

Look if Alex can play like Shaun Hill of 09, and have these long 8 min drives with dink and dunk passes that CONVERT 1st downs and take time of the clock and rests our defense....then I would not have a problem with him being a "game manager"..because with that approach we would beat good teams as well. But we are doing HORRIBLE on 3rd down conversions...and let alone just getting 1st down conversions.

Not like the 9 minute final drive against the Seahawks? What about the 6 minute drive to put us ahead yesterday?
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Not like the 9 minute final drive against the Seahawks? What about the 6 minute drive to put us ahead yesterday?

yes yes, more of that please.....only problem was it didn't work against the Cowboys who have a better defense than those other two (even with a depleted secondary)

so we'll have to see how it goes against better teams.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Uh, no, he didn't.

Harbaugh said "He really managed the game well."

Completely different meaning... but, way to spin it in order to prove your point.
No if you really read into it, i mean really really pick it apart he sais this:

"He really managed the game well" but look deeper. "HE, really MAN-aged the game Well"

So really he is implying that Heman aged well. Not sure what that's got to do with football, but it's a pretty cool thing to say... .. .

Wow, you're right!

Originally posted by Joecool:
The bolded players have done things in games under difficult situations that Alex Smith could ever dream of.

True. But, don't blame Alex for not having the team that those guys had which put them in those positions.

The problem is that Alex hasn't develop with prior coaches because they were defensive minded coaches. Harbaugh will put him in positions to be effective, I believe. Just like he was at the end of the Bengals' game making throw after throw to put the game away in the 4th quarter, on the road, in the crunch.

True.

Yea, and Smith is way better than all of those dudes.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
True.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Trent Dilfer is not my interpretation of 'game manager' at all. Dilfer is sh*t. Game manager don't throw dumbass picks like Dilfer. Game manager is someone who can make good decision, deliver the ball to the playmakers on offense, with no f*ckups.

well hes got a ring. and lebron cannot be put in the kobe conversation because why?

i think people of harbaugh'e era sometimes refer to qb play as managing the game and i can't imagine the talk if alex would have posted brady's numbers yesterday. being the leader of a unit makes all qb's managers
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
True.

Really? You are pushing it, man. Your analysis and perspective are welcome here, but please refrain from attacking those who disagree with you by calling them "Alex lovers," insinuating they are gay, etc. You don't need to resort to personal attacks to make your points - you are a good poster and are more persuasive without doing so. Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone