LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
if Alex fanboys don't believe he can be a Probowl QB....with some of the best weapons in the league at WR, RB, TE.......then why are we wasting our time with him? Why are we wasting our money with these skill set players?.....why are we wasting these precious years of Patrick Willis (who might go to the HOF)...and not get him a SuperBowl ring.

unlike these Alex fans, I EXPECT Alex to have Probowl type stats, with all these weapons....and beat playoff teams, along with a playoff victory here and there.

What a waste these past 7 seasons have been.....if even Alex Fan's don't believe in Alex to play at an All Pro level, we are just wasting another year here in SF.

its like some just want to see him on the field or something....don't care what the production is, JUST AS LONG AS ITS NOT HIS FAULT FOR US LOSING....not, caring that maybe it is ACTUALLY Alex that put this team on his back and carrying them to the playoffs.

Stop Gap to Kaepernick. We tried to trade for Carson this offseason and tried to sign Hasselbeck. Neither worked out
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
He's right. We should trade for Tom Brady.

Even Tom Brady would have problems behind this O-LINE. They must get it together real soon for these next 3 games.
if Alex fanboys don't believe he can be a Probowl QB....with some of the best weapons in the league at WR, RB, TE.......then why are we wasting our time with him? Why are we wasting our money with these skill set players?.....why are we wasting these precious years of Patrick Willis (who might go to the HOF)...and not get him a SuperBowl ring.

unlike these Alex fans, I EXPECT Alex to have Probowl type stats, with all these weapons....and beat playoff teams, along with a playoff victory here and there.

What a waste these past 7 seasons have been.....if even Alex Fan's don't believe in Alex to play at an All Pro level, we are just wasting another year here in SF.

its like some just want to see him on the field or something....don't care what the production is, JUST AS LONG AS ITS NOT HIS FAULT FOR US LOSING....not, caring that maybe it is ACTUALLY Alex that put this team on his back and carrying them to the playoffs.
I am not saying Alex is great in fact he is a game manager, but who are these weapons you speak of other than Davis?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Stop Gap to Kaepernick. We tried to trade for Carson this offseason and tried to sign Hasselbeck. Neither worked out
well that is a damn shame....I'd rather see Alex play himself out of the position, then just hide him for the rest of the year and watch boring football...while trying to beat bad teams.......who knows, he has made some nice accurate passes this year.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sacniner:
WTF is your point? We all know this! He isn't going to put up prolific numbers and win us 13 games by himself. He isn't going to get much better. This isn't breaking news man.

ALEX SMITH IS WHO HE IS! HE WILL NEVER BE A PRO BOWL QB. GET OVER IT AND STOP MAKING THE SAME TYPES OF THREADS EVERYDAY.

But some people here think he can be.

Some people also think that he is the worst QB to ever put on a uniform.

So what? Let them think what they want.

its like some just want to see him on the field or something....don't care what the production is, JUST AS ITS NOT HIS FAULT FOR US LOSING....not, caring that maybe it is Alex that put this team on his back and carrying them to the playoffs.

Because not every QB is going to the pro bowl. You can still be a good team w/o your qb making the pro bowl. What other options do we have? None. He is decent. We aren't getting a ring with this team. This secondary and o line are bigger problems than Smith.

He might still get some playoff wins, but if you expect him to be a pro bowler you are delusional.

You should really be honest. By calling people "Alex fanboys" you are losing credibility with your post. He is decent. We are "wasting our time" because we have no other options. What should Harbaugh do? We can win the division with him. He isn't going to put up pro bowl numbers, if you expect that you need to lower your expectations.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
WTF is your point? We all know this! He isn't going to put up prolific numbers and win us 13 games by himself. He isn't going to get much better. This isn't breaking news man.

ALEX SMITH IS WHO HE IS! HE WILL NEVER BE A PRO BOWL QB. GET OVER IT AND STOP MAKING THE SAME TYPES OF THREADS EVERYDAY.

By all means think what you want. I always respect their views.
Way to twist the words to make another thread about the same stuff.

Until next week....

Where would you rank him as far starting Qbs in the NFL ?

Right where he is, with the qualification that he should improve along with the team. Right now the offensive line and backs are not helping him much, he is carrying the offense right now.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Trent Dilfer is not my interpretation of 'game manager' at all. Dilfer is sh*t. Game manager don't throw dumbass picks like Dilfer. Game manager is someone who can make good decision, deliver the ball to the playmakers on offense, with no f*ckups.

My idea of a game manager is one who checks out of a situation that is unfavorable and minimizes his mistakes and the O's, plays a game of field position. While a good-great quarterback can get the ball in there and doesn't wilt under pressure and somehow gets the ball to someone just when it seems someone is about to tag him.

That's taking chances. Which our qb should be allowed to do. But I don't think Smith is that type nor is he allowed at the current situation of the team this year.

Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I am not saying Alex is great in fact he is a game manager, but who are these weapons you speak of other than Davis?

Probowl WR, ProBowl TE, ProBowl RB....and pretty good backups...like Crabtree, Morgan, Walker, Hunter...

I know we don't have Braylon..but we did have him in the first game.....we got Crabtree back....Vernon is still there.....and IMO, Gore could use help from our QB and OC in calling plays that puts the defense on their heals...instead of run blitzing every down to stop our running and our checkdown passes.....even saying that I love Hunter in there as well.

I won't get into whole Oline ordeal, IMO Alex makes them look worse than they are.....holding the ball too long, not recognizing the blitz or overload at the LOS. Not saying they don't have brain farts here and there...but I don't think they are playing as bad as some like to say. That being said, Chilo should have been replaced along time ago, let alone should have never been given the starting role this year.....so the Oline should look better next week. But Alex needs to do a better job getting rid of the ball, or throwing it away, or tucking it in and gaining positive yardage.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

By all means think what you want. I always respect their views.

90% + of posters fall in the middle, I think, when it comes to evaluating Smith.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Where would you rank him as far starting Qbs in the NFL ?

Right where he is, with the qualification that he should improve along with the team. Right now the offensive line and backs are not helping him much, he is carrying the offense right now.

agreed
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
"I thought Alex played extremely well," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He really managed the game well."

1) Were the Niners the only team to experience an abbreviated off season?
2) Are the Niners the only team with a new head coach and/or offensive system?
3) Are the Niners the only team with bad O-line play?
4) Are the Niners the only team struggling to run the ball?
5) Are the Niners the only team starting a rookie QB? (oops, my mistake, Alex Smith is in year 7!)
Let's be honest. In the 7 years of Smith's tenure as 49ers QB he has had numerous OCs, Never a solid or top O-line, Never a top Wideout in the league.
So he didn't call him a game manager. Next.
Share 49ersWebzone