LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sacniner:
WTF is your point? We all know this! He isn't going to put up prolific numbers and win us 13 games by himself. He isn't going to get much better. This isn't breaking news man.

ALEX SMITH IS WHO HE IS! HE WILL NEVER BE A PRO BOWL QB. GET OVER IT AND STOP MAKING THE SAME TYPES OF THREADS EVERYDAY.

But some people here think he can be.

who has said that?

Who has said that?
Whatever you want to call Alex Smith we are now 2-1 and have been competitive in each game we have played. In each game Alex has played his part and played it well enough to win. So I am happy with Alex Smith. Now if each other part plays as hard and smart and as consisstently as Alex Smith has we will have ourselves quite a team. I think we are showing ourselves to be the best of the west, as of today. The rest of the season will clearly reveal whether we are playoff material but so far we have played all of our games in a winning way. I see only improvement ahead. Now if Chilo gets benched and we get someone in that slot that can play we will take the next step. With Boone, and Kilgore in the background we hopefully will be seeing them soon. With Kendall Hunter now getting more snaps, we will see improvement in the runnig game. With Miller in at FB we have more consistency at that position. With Crabtree now back, and with Williams getting more snaps, and Edwards healing up we should have some quality and consistency in the WRs. And with Goldson and Spence back hopefully the woeful backfield will improve by 50%. That is a lot of improvement in our team. And every game that we win, whether we squeak it out or blow it out, gives our team another game to gel and play together. So I see impovement across the board.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Who has said that?

You guys imply it when your constantly bragging about his 90+ QB rating and 150-200 yards passing.

Who has said that?

You guys imply it when your constantly bragging about his 90+ QB rating and 150-200 yards passing.

Not true

Who has said that?

in all fairness, i think that is really just to combat all the stuff you guys spew. you guys might use stats or wins as evidence as to why he may suck, then others use the latest stats and wins to combat it. it's a vicious (and b******t) cycle.

Simply not true, just because I call guys out guys bashing him for bs that isn't his fault doesn't mean I think he is anything more than a decent qb. He would seriously surprise me if he ever made the pro bowl. I guess stranger things have happened, who can truly say what the future holds?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

1) Were the Niners the only team to experience an abbreviated off season?
2) Are the Niners the only team with a new head coach and/or offensive system?
3) Are the Niners the only team with bad O-line play?
4) Are the Niners the only team struggling to run the ball?
5) Are the Niners the only team starting a rookie QB? (oops, my mistake, Alex Smith is in year 7!)

Regardless, Smith's ceiling is being a "game manager", a role he is clearly comfortable with--be a good, obedient drone, run the play, dont improvise, dont take any chances, and whenever possible either throw the ball to the RB in the flat, or no more than 10 yards in the air to any other receiver.

Maybe Harbaugh's not challenging him because he knows this is all Smith will ever be. Yes, the Niners are 2-1, but the offense is obviously sorely lacking. And it certainly is from lack of trying.

Blake_Fever
Great post. This is what I truly believe is happening.
What It means for the 49ers this season and beyond is plain and simple. Win the NFCW, lose in the play-offs call Harbaughs 1st year a success.
Get ready for a complete off-season next year and more work on the new system. A new QB starts (Keapernick or Tolzien) and more wins next year. I love this plan.
SUPER BOWL IN 2013
fixed

Money Post......All of it!!!

Does any one actually watch the game? To open the game in our first road start at 10am this year, the first 13 of 15 plays were passing plays... That looks like trust to me. Unfortunately the line sucks, the Gore was missing pass protection and Smith started getting his jittery feet because of it... Harbs felt this and tried to start protecting against game changing plays against us rather than opening up the offense. A smart move when more and more it looked like the odds were against us rather than for us in terms of a big game changing play.

If one has actually played or coached football, you realize everything comes down to probability of success on any given play or situation. Harbaugh has been playing statistical football to a tee and so far we have a winning record, and if not for a couple defensive breakdowns would be 3-0. He has been keeping the game within the limitations of Smith, and its working so the detractors need to STFU. Smith has been key in our victories... does he put the offense on his back and air it out for 300/game, no, but has he come through everytime we needed a big play, yes.

This is basically the same team as last year with an upgraded defense and less practice, a QB with a mentor who can put him in positions to be effective without the pressure of losing the game on one play, and a Coach who is smart enough (opposed to Nolan/Sing/Raye) to play statistical football which continually keeps this team in a position to win because of his feel for the game. It's all situational, and for the entire season this team has not been in a game where winning the field position battle wasn't more important than taking risks on offense. Good coaches are the ones that make the correct statistical decision 80-90% of the time, while using his feel to win the battles when going against the stats. Coaches with an elite QB have the luxury of going away from probabilities and take more risks, but that aint us, Harbs is playing the hand he's dealt and doing a good job with a great chance of hitting the bye week at 3-3 setting up for a divisional run against opponents that are great match ups for this team.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Thanks for the backup, susweel!

To every BLIND Niner fan who refuses to believe Smith is an untrustworthy game manager, I direct your attention to nearly every time the Niners have been inside the opponents 10 yard line and Smith has FAILED to pull the trigger an an "IN THE ENDZONE POTENTIAL TD THROW."

Do you really expect me to believe that NO ONE WAS OPEN on all those possessions that resulted in field goals? Child, please.

Smith does not have the SACK to make an NFL QB caliber throw for 7 points when he can easily settle for 3. And Im sure Harbaugh is whispering in his ear, "Nothing stupid, Alex. Don't force it, we can still get the field goal."

Those are reasonable sentiments in Harbaugh was speaking to a ROOKIE QB. Smith's in year 7 of spineless suckage. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROTTING OFFENSE--ITS AN ALEX SMITH SPECIAL!

Blake_Fever

ok so you do not understand football at all ... ok good to know ... ill just skip all of your posts ... thank you for this uneducated update ... But hey you did get suswell to back you up
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Simply not true, just because I call guys out guys bashing him for bs that isn't his fault doesn't mean I think he is anything more than a decent qb. He would seriously surprise me if he ever made the pro bowl. I guess stranger things have happened, who can truly say what the future holds?

Where would you rank him as far starting Qbs in the NFL ?

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Trent Dilfer is not my interpretation of 'game manager' at all. Dilfer is sh*t. Game manager don't throw dumbass picks like Dilfer. Game manager is someone who can make good decision, deliver the ball to the playmakers on offense, with no f*ckups.

My idea of a game manager is one who checks out of a situation that is unfavorable and minimizes his mistakes and the O's, plays a game of field position. While a good-great quarterback can get the ball in there and doesn't wilt under pressure and somehow gets the ball to someone just when it seems someone is about to tag him.
if Alex fanboys don't believe he can be a Probowl QB....with some of the best weapons in the league at WR, RB, TE.......then why are we wasting our time with him? Why are we wasting our money with these skill set players?.....why are we wasting these precious years of Patrick Willis (who might go to the HOF)...and not get him a SuperBowl ring.

unlike these Alex fans, I EXPECT Alex to have Probowl type stats, with all these weapons....and beat playoff teams, along with a playoff victory here and there.

What a waste these past 7 seasons have been.....if even Alex Fan's don't believe in Alex to play at an All Pro level, we are just wasting another year here in SF.

its like some just want to see him on the field or something....don't care what the production is, JUST AS LONG AS ITS NOT HIS FAULT FOR US LOSING....not, caring that maybe it is ACTUALLY Alex that put this team on his back and carrying them to the playoffs.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM ]
harbaugh said "He really managed the game well." that does not necessarily equate to caling him a game manager
Awesome post. Blake Fever for GM!
Originally posted by 5280High:
Does any one actually watch the game? To open the game in our first road start at 10am this year, the first 13 of 15 plays were passing plays... That looks like trust to me. Unfortunately the line sucks, the Gore was missing pass protection and Smith started getting his jittery feet because of it... Harbs felt this and tried to start protecting against game changing plays against us then opening up the offense. A smart move when more and more it looked like the offs were against us rather than for us in terms of a big play.

If one has actually played or coached football, you realize everything comes down to probability of success on any given play or situation. Harbaugh has been playing statistical football to a tee and so far we have a winning record, and if not for a couple defensive breakdowns would be 3-0. He has been keeping the game within the limitations of Smith, and its working so the detractors need to STFU. Smith has been key in our victories... does he put the offense on his back and air it out for 300/game no, but has he come through everytime we needed a big play, yes.

This is basically the same team as last year with an upgraded defense, a QB with a coach who can put him in positions to be effective without the pressure of losing the game on one play, and a Coach who is smart enough to play statistical football which continually keeps this team in a position to win. It's all situational, and for the entire season this team has not been in a game where winning the field position battle wasn't more important than taking risks on offense.

Posts like this are why you are one of the guys I always look forward to hearing from.
Share 49ersWebzone