LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Thanks for the backup, susweel!

To every BLIND Niner fan who refuses to believe Smith is an untrustworthy game manager, I direct your attention to nearly every time the Niners have been inside the opponents 10 yard line and Smith has FAILED to pull the trigger an an "IN THE ENDZONE POTENTIAL TD THROW."

Do you really expect me to believe that NO ONE WAS OPEN on all those possessions that resulted in field goals? Child, please.

Smith does not have the SACK to make an NFL QB caliber throw for 7 points when he can easily settle for 3. And Im sure Harbaugh is whispering in his ear, "Nothing stupid, Alex. Don't force it, we can still get the field goal."

Those are reasonable sentiments in Harbaugh was speaking to a ROOKIE QB. Smith's in year 7 of spineless suckage. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROTTING OFFENSE--ITS AN ALEX SMITH SPECIAL!

Blake_Fever

Hey you did it again! You are getting seriously good at this, maybe you should go pro. You are right though, Smith has never thrown a touchdown pass when he could get the team to settle for a field goal. Sometimes they just won't let him though, so he is forced against his will to do it by the ultra aggressive play calling coaches we have had ever since we drafted him.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
But they did have confidence in him on the previous drive to go up 10-6 for chunks of yards mixed in with Hunter runs. Wonder why... I'll let you figure it out.

This also, when they called passing plays on those two big drives, we went down the field. The rest of the time they just kept it singletarian.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by verb1der:

Smith does not have the SACK to make an NFL QB caliber throw for 7 points when he can easily settle for 3. And Im sure Harbaugh is whispering in his ear, "Nothing stupid, Alex. Don't force it, we can still get the field goal."

I thought that TD pass to Crabtree in the back of the endzone was nicely improvised, and quite gutsy....but the refs hated on it.

But overall I do agree with you.

That was a good pass and showed some guts but unfortunately it never happened.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Until harbs says he doesn't trust smith, I don't believe it. I think harbs is just playing safe, and it sucks. He really hasn't had a reason to not play safe, because we have been in every game so far and pulled it off for the most part.

Actions speak louder then words my friend. Just look at the play calls and it crystal clear he doesn't trust him to open up the offense.
I see your point, but look at the playaction call against the cowboys that got alex concussed, or the playaction against the bengals that had another unblocked DE coming.

Or look at the retarded option call (called by our O.C) where Alex got rocked helmet to helmet. Our Oline, is one reason for the crappy playcalls, the rest of the crappy playcalls is due to playing it safe, and harbs college gameplan not working in the pros. (IMO)

How about the 3 straight running plays after the Carlos Rogers Int yesterday. A team with more confidence in their QB would have thrown the ball, dont you agree ?

But they did have confidence in him on the previous drive to go up 10-6 for chunks of yards mixed in with Hunter runs. Wonder why... I'll let you figure it out.

Desperation of being down on the score board and 4th quarter.

That was winning timee
Until harbs says he doesn't trust smith, I don't believe it. I think harbs is just playing safe, and it sucks. He really hasn't had a reason to not play safe, because we have been in every game so far and pulled it off for the most part.

Actions speak louder then words my friend. Just look at the play calls and it crystal clear he doesn't trust him to open up the offense.
I see your point, but look at the playaction call against the cowboys that got alex concussed, or the playaction against the bengals that had another unblocked DE coming.

Or look at the retarded option call (called by our O.C) where Alex got rocked helmet to helmet. Our Oline, is one reason for the crappy playcalls, the rest of the crappy playcalls is due to playing it safe, and harbs college gameplan not working in the pros. (IMO)

How about the 3 straight running plays after the Carlos Rogers Int yesterday. A team with more confidence in their QB would have thrown the ball, dont you agree ?

Nope.

That drive started within field goal range, took 1:38 off the clock, forced the Bengals to use their second timeout.

Tom Brady was in a similar situation yesterday and threw a pick six.

Desperation of being down on the score board and 4th quarter.

So you think Smith actually came through in the situation. We are turning haters slowly but surely.
So you think Smith actually came through in the situation. We are turning haters slowly but surely.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Well he had to something sooner or later so guys could get his HOF jacket dry cleaned for him.
Well he had to something sooner or later so guys could get his HOF jacket dry cleaned for him.

Well after going 21/30 they are already fitting him for the jacket.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 1stAndGoal49ers:

1) Were the Niners the only team to experience an abbreviated off season?
2) Are the Niners the only team with a new head coach and/or offensive system?
3) Are the Niners the only team with bad O-line play?
4) Are the Niners the only team struggling to run the ball?
5) Are the Niners the only team starting a rookie QB? (oops, my mistake, Alex Smith is in year 7!)

Regardless, Smith's ceiling is being a "game manager", a role he is clearly comfortable with--be a good, obedient drone, run the play, dont improvise, dont take any chances, and whenever possible either throw the ball to the RB in the flat, or no more than 10 yards in the air to any other receiver.

Maybe Harbaugh's not challenging him because he knows this is all Smith will ever be. Yes, the Niners are 2-1, but the offense is obviously sorely lacking. And it certainly is from lack of trying.

Blake_Fever
Great post. This is what I truly believe is happening.
What It means for the 49ers this season and beyond is plain and simple. Win the NFCW, lose in the play-offs call Harbaughs 1st year a success.
Get ready for a complete off-season next year and more work on the new system. A new QB starts (Keapernick or Tolzien) and more wins next year. I love this plan.
SUPER BOWL IN 2013
fixed

Money Post......All of it!!!

Even I'm embarrassed to mention Smith in the same sentence with the HOF. You must mean Hall Of F*ckups...

since when did the term "game manager" become such a bad thing? alex is given a task and he has-for the most part this year-suceeded in doing what they have asked. i don't think the term means what you think. i think a lot of haters on here just want something to b***h about or find the negative in everything said (by coaches and writers and teammates).

how about this: alex has MANAGED to help get our team to a 2-1 start.

so many people get so caught up in the hype that is generated by NFLN and EPSN. at the end of the day, if we win and alex has performed his duties he was charged with, who gives a f**k?

also, i am tired of the whole "don't trust alex" buls**t. the more reasonable statement would be "the coaching staff has their doubt about the oline's ability to pass protect".

we are 2-1, folks. keep on keeping on.
I think the OP's fever is affecting his thought processes . . .

"Har-pologies"? Really? After a 2-1 start following a lockout-shortened pre-season during which new offensive and defensive schemes were installed?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
OHHHHH NOOOEZZZ! WE'Z HOOKID ON SEMANTICS!!!
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
You want to know what is more pathetic than having 7 different coordinators, 3 different coaches, and screwing up this guy A.Smith. I will tell you.....We are still debating and discussing this over and over daily.
Share 49ersWebzone