LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Harbaugh Calls Smith "Game Manager"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"I thought Alex played extremely well," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He really managed the game well."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/25/11/Smith-49ers-offense-save-best-for-4th-qu/l_49ers.html?full_args=09/25/11/Smith-49ers-offense-save-best-for-4th-qu/l_49ers&blockID=567276&feedID=5936

Nothing we didn't already know, but at least Harbaugh has made it official. Pretty much Harbaugh doesnt totally trust Smith and is only asking him to do just enough not to cost the team the game. For a once proud, QB-driven franchise, congratulations Niners faithful, we have Trent Dilfer 2.0 running the show!

Now before you reply with any additional Alexcuses or offer any more Har-pologies, take a moment to answer the following questions:

1) Were the Niners the only team to experience an abbreviated off season?
2) Are the Niners the only team with a new head coach and/or offensive system?
3) Are the Niners the only team with bad O-line play?
4) Are the Niners the only team struggling to run the ball?
5) Are the Niners the only team starting a rookie QB? (oops, my mistake, Alex Smith is in year 7!)

Regardless, Smith's ceiling is being a "game manager", a role he is clearly comfortable with--be a good, obedient drone, run the play, dont improvise, dont take any chances, and whenever possible either throw the ball to the RB in the flat, or no more than 10 yards in the air to any other receiver.

Maybe Harbaugh's not challenging him because he knows this is all Smith will ever be. Yes, the Niners are 2-1, but the offense is obviously sorely lacking. And it certainly is from lack of trying.

Blake_Fever
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Because thats all he can ever be.
Until harbs says he doesn't trust smith, I don't believe it. I think harbs is just playing safe, and it sucks. He really hasn't had a reason to not play safe, because we have been in every game so far and pulled it off for the most part.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Until harbs says he doesn't trust smith, I don't believe it. I think harbs is just playing safe, and it sucks. He really hasn't had a reason to not play safe, because we have been in every game so far and pulled it off for the most part.

YEP!
Nice twist of the words....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Actions speak louder then words my friend. Just look at the play calls and it crystal clear he doesn't trust him to open up the offense.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into that comment. lol.
  • dj43
Aaron Rodgers coach said the same thing about him. Is he also a "game manager?"

There is a big difference between managing a game well and being the kind of very limited QB that Dilfer was.

Oh wait. This is really just another "rip Alex" thread. Sorry. I missed that before I started typing. NVM
Originally posted by susweel:
Because thats all he can ever be.

Pretty much
Trent Dilfer is not my interpretation of 'game manager' at all. Dilfer is sh*t. Game manager don't throw dumbass picks like Dilfer. Game manager is someone who can make good decision, deliver the ball to the playmakers on offense, with no f*ckups.

Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
"I thought Alex played extremely well," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He really managed the game well."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/25/11/Smith-49ers-offense-save-best-for-4th-qu/l_49ers.html?full_args=09/25/11/Smith-49ers-offense-save-best-for-4th-qu/l_49ers&blockID=567276&feedID=5936

Nothing we didn't already know, but at least Harbaugh has made it official. Pretty much Harbaugh doesnt totally trust Smith and is only asking him to do just enough not to cost the team the game. For a once proud, QB-driven franchise, congratulations Niners faithful, we have Trent Dilfer 2.0 running the show!

Now before you reply with any additional Alexcuses or offer any more Har-pologies, take a moment to answer the following questions:

5) Are the Niners the only team starting a rookie QB? (oops, my mistake, Alex Smith is in year 7!)

Regardless, Smith's ceiling is being a "game manager", a role he is clearly comfortable with--be a good, obedient drone, run the play, dont improvise, dont take any chances, and whenever possible either throw the ball to the RB in the flat, or no more than 10 yards in the air to any other receiver.

Maybe Harbaugh's not challenging him because he knows this is all Smith will ever be. Yes, the Niners are 2-1, but the offense is obviously sorely lacking. And it certainly is from lack of trying.

Blake_Fever

This is some seriously laughable crap you have posted. Reading comprehension, try some. Also really neat how you signed your name to the bottom of the post...nice! It saves us the trouble of scrolling back up to see who the spin doctor is.

Originally posted by boast:
you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into that comment. lol.

this
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Harbaugh didn't even have to say it. It's obvious just from watching our conservative offense.
This is why I hate the zone. These types of threads make it really hard to come to this forum
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

Blake_Fever
Great post. This is what I truly believe is happening.
What It means for the 49ers this season and beyond is plain and simple. Win the NFCW, lose in the play-offs call Harbaughs 1st year a success.
Get ready for a complete off-season next year and more work on the new system. A new QB starts (Keapernick or Tolzien) and more wins next year. I love this plan.
SUPER BOWL IN 2013
Share 49ersWebzone