LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Do Our WR's change Anyone's Defensive Gameplan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do Our WR's change Anyone's Defensive Gameplan?

Im making this poll because in many threads we talk about Smith, we talk about VD, and the oline, but both his no 1 receivers are hurt or working their way back. In the NFL we talk all the time that this QB is making it with this rookie, or this nobody, and they are actually mentioned in articles, news, etc.

Take away Gore, take away VD and we all say make the QB beat you. But at the same time, who on our squad really demands that a team really watch out for them. If we have Ginn, MOrgan, Williams, and a few others, if they put decent sized Cb's on both, then I mean really, who do we have that strikes fear in a teams heart. And I dont mean talking about what we want them to have, just what they have produced, thus far.

Besides Edwards who on our team can you really say watch out for. That helping the Qb and the QB helping you go hand in hand. The past two games, and even last year, it takes our WR's minutes to break away from the defender it seems, or they are mostly double covered, or they are too small against bigger and better CB's. I mean Ginn is ok, but he dropped a couple since the season began, and if MOrgan is our true no 2. you shut him down and then what.

I just think regardless of Kap, Smith, Scott, we have no true proven no 1 receiver, that can play all 16 games and really give the Rivas's of the NFL a run for their money. IMHO that makes a big difference in the passing game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Neither do that Saints, Patriots and Bears.
-QB who struggles throwing receivers open
-O Line that cant hold protection long enough for receivers to run down the field
-A running game with minimal homerun potential (Hunter needs more touches!)

Fix any of those then re-evaluate the receivers.
Braylon and VD. Teams still need to watch out for Ginn. That's plenty of receivers that get the defense's attention. Most teams have success with only one requiring a double team.

There is a lot of evidence that shows our receivers were open often on a lot of routes Sunday.

QB/Playcalling is what you are looking for.
not at all. No threat at QB.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
Braylon and VD. Teams still need to watch out for Ginn. That's plenty of receivers that get the defense's attention. Most teams have success with only one requiring a double team.

There is a lot of evidence that shows our receivers were open often on a lot of routes Sunday.

QB/Playcalling is what you are looking for.

On most other teams they would be open, on the niners they have to be open by 5 yards.
Originally posted by 5280High:
-O Line that cant hold protection long enough for receivers to run down the field

BAM!
Originally posted by JustaFan45:
Originally posted by 5280High:

BAM!
alex is 70% compleition precentage this year and i think he has thrown only 6 passes over 15 yards missing only 1 of them (shouldve been a PI (against seattle pass to vernon)

however i do agree with the o line it isnt pass protecting or run blocking well the line doesnt get any push

so the homerun potential is there the o line needs to step it up
Our Wr's ABSOLUTELY change the opposing teams defense. One look at our boys.....and they quickly realize its safe to load the box. :-{
Edwards is the only WR who goes after the ball and makes plays. Crabtree may have that ability but hasn't shown much yet. So, teams know that they can single cover the receivers and not worry too much. I would really like to see Williams step up, or Ginn start holding on to the ball, but won't hold my breath.

Morgan, VD and Walker should be running routes, even if they need to keep Boone at TE to block.

• dj43
Davis is the only receiver any other team will worry about and when he is held in to block, there is no one. (with Edwards out)

Other than Edwards, there is no one on this team that would start on any of the good passing teams in the league and Edwards would not start in Philly or GB. Though a lot of people hear are in love with Crabtree's potential, based on his performance to date, he wouldn't even make the roster in Philly or GB.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

This. Until he is going to try and make plays down the field our receivers don't scare anyone
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

This. Until he is going to try and make plays down the field our receivers don't scare anyone

Agreed! A good QB will make his WRs look great, likely much better than they really are! Until he consistently starts throwing recievers open and taking shots downfield with regularity, nobody will fear anyone but Gore
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Edwards is the only WR who goes after the ball and makes plays. Crabtree may have that ability but hasn't shown much yet. So, teams know that they can single cover the receivers and not worry too much. I would really like to see Williams step up, or Ginn start holding on to the ball, but won't hold my breath.

Morgan, VD and Walker should be running routes, even if they need to keep Boone at TE to block.

This
All this throwing receivers open is crap. Most of the highlights and great plays are of WRs making spectacular catches in the endzone or them just flat out burn'n their defenders and making people miss. So far our WRs haven't shown the ability to take the ball away from defenders or burning them. I'm sure Edwards can do it but the rest of the guys need to show that they can too. Go to NFL.com and if you don't see WRs making some great catches on some poorly placed balls then feel free to tell me I'm wrong.
[ Edited by gamechanger on Sep 24, 2011 at 1:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone