LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

49ers Attempted to Trade Up to Draft Andy Dalton (per NFL.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
According to NFL.com, prior to making a trade to move up and get quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second round, the 49ers were working hard on a move to the end of the first round for Andy Dalton, but could not pull it off. They knew the Bengals would take Dalton at the top of the second round.

Is this the second coming of the Aaron Rodgers' curse?!

Colin Kaepernick reminded me a lot of Jason Cambell,, big strong arm, slow delivery,,, same body type, Accepted Kaep is more athletic.... I sure hope Kaepernick turns out to be a better QB in the end though,,,,, Tolzien might be better in the short term then anyone we have
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The word was that Dalton was NFL ready but Kaepernick had a higher ceiling. Give me the guy that's NFL ready in a heartbeat.

That is EXACTLY what the assessment of Leaf vs Manning was in 1998. Leaf = higher ceiling, Manning = more NFL ready. I'll take the NFL ready guy too. I'm starting to wish we did trade up for Dalton, and am also thinking CK was a desparation move once Dalton was taken just before us.

That was exactly what the assessment of Smith vs Rodgers was in 2005. Smith = higher ceiling, Rodgers = more NFL ready.

We now know that Smith's ceiling is a bad joke.
LOL, and we ended up with CK. What a downgrade.
As I have been stating for some time now, Baalke is incompetent as our GM. If it is true that he couldn't "pull off a deal", then it shows his ineptitude. You want a player, you get the deal done. No sad stories afterwards.

If the story is not true, and the original story is that the team was targetting CK all along, it also shows his ineptitude in scouting the best QB available in that spot of the draft.

Either way, Lord Baalke Strikes Again!!

Let OTC and the MadDog run the draft.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
As I have been stating for some time now, Baalke is incompetent as our GM. If it is true that he couldn't "pull off a deal", then it shows his ineptitude. You want a player, you get the deal done. No sad stories afterwards.

If the story is not true, and the original story is that the team was targetting CK all along, it also shows his ineptitude in scouting the best QB available in that spot of the draft.

Mike Lombardi (may have been bitter) was quoted to say that Baalke has virtually little to no networking contact around the league. He was a scout and that was it.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Scott Tolzien will be better than both Kaep and Dalton. Right now, if they give this kid more practice time, he could take over from Smith after the bye week. JMHO.

Sure, just like Nate Davis, right?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

It would be a mighty pay upgrade for you, of course then we would be drafting the "can't miss propects,like Vernhon Gholston" and releasing players with no talent like Ahmad Brooks, that is what u said about those players....GOOD CALL, now go grade some essay from some 14 year old or something.
BIG FAT BS.

Look at the date that was posted....5/8. That story was changed later.

On the day of the draft LaCanfora reported the same thing and then later reported it was incorrect. The Niners were indeed trying to trade into the bottom of round 1 or top of round 2, but they wanted KAEPERNICK. They wanted the guy they got.

This is a non-story. The Niners got the guy they wanted. History will show if it was the right decision, but Kaep was the guy they wanted.
Scott Tolzien will be better than both Kaep and Dalton. Right now, if they give this kid more practice time, he could take over from Smith after the bye week. JMHO.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The word was that Dalton was NFL ready but Kaepernick had a higher ceiling. Give me the guy that's NFL ready in a heartbeat.

That is EXACTLY what the assessment of Leaf vs Manning was in 1998. Leaf = higher ceiling, Manning = more NFL ready. I'll take the NFL ready guy too. I'm starting to wish we did trade up for Dalton, and am also thinking CK was a desparation move once Dalton was taken just before us.

It wouldn't shock me just remember that Baalke was the same man who traded up for Anthony Davis.

this is what you get when your most important personnel are noobs:

Paraag - still sproutin' pubes
Jed - see above
Baalke - first time GM
Harbaugh - first time NFL hc

Originally posted by valrod33:
League sources told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that the 49ers were ?persistent? in trying to land Kaepernick, exploring trade options at the end of the first round before initiating talks with the Patriots and Bills at the top of the second. NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reported that the Raiders (with picks 48 and 81) also were in talks with the Patriots, setting up a Bay Area battle for the QB.

?

Not sure we can really believe any of that stuff. I try to look at things that make sense. I don't believe at least half the stuff the media reports.

so what you're saying is that anything bad about the 9ers, the organization, or Alex Smith you believe...but everything else isn't believable because it doesn't make sense

Originally posted by 49erLegacy:

Alex is pretty much playing like he did in the preseason. From what I remember the Tolzien showed us more in our one game against him than Alex did the whole preseason.
Originally posted by hateroids84:

Alex is pretty much playing like he did in the preseason. From what I remember the Tolzien showed us more in our one game against him than Alex did the whole preseason.

so we are going to base the starting QB off of 1 preseason game (who was playing against backups)
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
It would be a mighty pay upgrade for you, of course then we would be drafting the "can't miss propects,like Vernhon Gholston" and releasing players with no talent like Ahmad Brooks, that is what u said about those players....GOOD CALL, now go grade some essay from some 14 year old or something.

In the MadDog archives of personnel player observations, you note two thrilling moments over the past four years. Let's review:

First, the spelling is Vernon Gholston. Second, I never advocated drafting him. Living here in the Midwest, I saw that he was only functional in spots, not a consistent, dynamic playmaker in the NFL. You must have confused my excitement for other OSU players, like Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins. But, nice try.

As for Brooks, he was a failure at Cinci, and I never thought he would rebuild his career, as he was an underachiever with a poor work ethic. He grew up, and has become more valuable than I expected. However, since he was not part of the regular draft, I did not have a grade attached to him.

Grading is done, thanks for asking. And, I appreciate your expectation to be correct on 100% of my projections. Stack my draft against the organization, and in particular, Baalke the past couple of years, and you will see my picks are superior. As you are obsessed with me, it sure must hurt to see my harsh critique of players the team has picked up over the years (I had Morgan Burnett at the top of my board, over Taylor Mays; this is simply one recent example) versus the players I had on my board. So, go ahead and enjoy your Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick, and I will take my JJ Watt and Andy Dalton.

Have a great day.

P.S. Do you even have an opinion? Oh, yeah, I forgot, I don't care. Nobody cares what you have to say. In fact, I am not sure anyone on this board knows you exist.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by hateroids84:

so we are going to base the starting QB off of 1 preseason game (who was playing against backups)

No, I just rather give Alex a shorter leash. It's been a pretty long time since we have had a decent QB, I'm not trying to be patient with him anymore...
f**k Dalton. We drafted CK7.

Share 49ersWebzone