LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

49ers Attempted to Trade Up to Draft Andy Dalton (per NFL.com)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersVic:
According to NFL.com, prior to making a trade to move up and get quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the second round, the 49ers were working hard on a move to the end of the first round for Andy Dalton, but could not pull it off. They knew the Bengals would take Dalton at the top of the second round.

Is this the second coming of the Aaron Rodgers' curse?!

That's BS! The only people that know that for sure is the 9ers FO and there is no way they tell anybody that after drafting Colin. How do they know the we weren't trying to trade up to get Colin thinking he was better than Andy. No team tells the team they're trying to trade with who they are interested in. This is just "draft guru's" assuming what QB we wanted, thinking "Andy Dalton + weak arm = west coast. Jim + west coast = Andy Dalton" .
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The word was that Dalton was NFL ready but Kaepernick had a higher ceiling. Give me the guy that's NFL ready in a heartbeat.

That is EXACTLY what the assessment of Leaf vs Manning was in 1998. Leaf = higher ceiling, Manning = more NFL ready. I'll take the NFL ready guy too. I'm starting to wish we did trade up for Dalton, and am also thinking CK was a desparation move once Dalton was taken just before us.

It wouldn't shock me just remember that Baalke was the same man who traded up for Anthony Davis.

this is what you get when your most important personnel are noobs:

Paraag - still sproutin' pubes
Jed - see above
Baalke - first time GM
Harbaugh - first time NFL hc
The word was that Dalton was NFL ready but Kaepernick had a higher ceiling. Give me the guy that's NFL ready in a heartbeat.

That is EXACTLY what the assessment of Leaf vs Manning was in 1998. Leaf = higher ceiling, Manning = more NFL ready. I'll take the NFL ready guy too. I'm starting to wish we did trade up for Dalton, and am also thinking CK was a desparation move once Dalton was taken just before us.

It wouldn't shock me just remember that Baalke was the same man who traded up for Anthony Davis.

Jed - see above
Baalke - first time GM

Originally posted by valrod33:
League sources told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that the 49ers were “persistent” in trying to land Kaepernick, exploring trade options at the end of the first round before initiating talks with the Patriots and Bills at the top of the second. NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reported that the Raiders (with picks 48 and 81) also were in talks with the Patriots, setting up a Bay Area battle for the QB.

?
If this is true then it says more about Alex Smith than it does about Kaep. I means we were looking for an immediate QB but had to go with Kaep, the long term project. It means Alex may have been a third option behind Hasselback and Dalton.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Jed - see above
Baalke - first time GM

League sources told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that the 49ers were ?persistent? in trying to land Kaepernick, exploring trade options at the end of the first round before initiating talks with the Patriots and Bills at the top of the second. NFL Network's Michael Lombardi reported that the Raiders (with picks 48 and 81) also were in talks with the Patriots, setting up a Bay Area battle for the QB.

?

Not sure we can really believe any of that stuff. I try to look at things that make sense. I don't believe at least half the stuff the media reports.

That was exactly what the assessment of Smith vs Rodgers was in 2005. Smith = higher ceiling, Rodgers = more NFL ready.
Sh*t in one hand, Wish in the other, see what u get first.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
With the love fest that was going on between Smith and Harbaugh, Smith still would've started. Dalton would've been a good one for the WCO though, too bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Cincy run the WCO right now??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
With the love fest that was going on between Smith and Harbaugh, Smith still would've started. Dalton would've been a good one for the WCO though, too bad.

Yes and Dalton is impressing.
First its not the second comming of Rogers. We passed on Rogers when we could have had him. That is not the same as trying to move up to get the guy you want and having it cost too much, or the team simply not taking the deal. Aside from that it does make some sense that we would try. Dalton was in most peoples minds one of the more pro-ready Qb's in the draft ( and most ready at the spot we wanted to take a QB ) so I could see why we would value him higher than Kaep. If you can have a guy who would be ready this year and your QB position is weak, you go for it. Now if you cant get the guy you want and everybody who is left isnt going to be ready for year 1....then you get the guy with the best physical tools and give him time to develop...which is precisely what we did.

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Interesting. I read & was lead to believe that Harbuagh scouted & liked Colin Kaepernick & was gonna get him regardless.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Somewhat. They have Chucky's son Jay Gruden as their OC and he runs "a" version of the WCO similar to his dad's.
Originally posted by backontop:
Harbaugh doesn't have any faith in Kaepernick either. Why else do you think Smith played with a concussion

How about a short offseason to get him ready or that only applies to Alex?
Originally posted by midrdan:
I think it's obvious that Dalton can play. The Bengals drafted the best WR in the first round. AJ Green can make a good QB look great. So, good for the Bengals - they seem to have landed their QB and WR for the next 10 years. I don't see how our apparent interest in Dalton is at all relevant anymore - we didn't get Dalton, we drafted Kaep. Let's root for the guys we have, not lament missed opportunities - Dallas tried to draft Jerry Rice but we beat them to it. Dallas moved on and won 3 SBs in the next 10 years and put another WR - Irvin - in the HOF. .

Amen brother , a nice bit of perspective. I'm happy putting a little faith in Harbaugh's ability to coach up Kap , love the higher ceiling and that mobility. We got a QB and a RB all rolled into one. Ha Ha , ok I jest.
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Scott Tolzien will be better than both Kaep and Dalton. Right now, if they give this kid more practice time, he could take over from Smith after the bye week. JMHO.

I concur with you. I was so happy they picked up Tolzien. I think the future is kaepernick and Tolzien and another late round draft qb. I think If and When Smith starts choking, you start giving these guys some game experience, especially if the team is out of play off contention.
Share 49ersWebzone