LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

What is your opinion of Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While Walker is not a typical TE he is very suited for HBack type duty. He moves around well and can catch anywhere on the field--long or short.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Delanie walker is a converted WR who cannot block, and is a crappy return man, and probably one of the most overrated, at least on the webzone, TE's.

Look at what Rob Gronkowsi and Aaron Hernandez are doing after only playing 18 games, this is what I envisioned Harbaugh doing, but so far TE;'s have been invisible.

I have never been a Delanie Walker fan, he simply is a tweener that is over hyped.

lol you just complained that he can't block but talked about how much production gronkowski and hernandez get, both who also don't block. it's not his fault that he doesn't get looks then is it?
We all saw the mismatches he CAN create for LBs last week.
Cool dude.
A couple of things...one, he's very underused. Two, he's not much of a blocker. Like Vernon told Harbaugh when they met this week...even if he's being doubled, then he wants to see the ball get to whoever's got single coverage, and a good part of the time that should be Delanie, among others. Both he and Vernon should have big years...they both have decent hands, are outstanding runners and have the desire to be great.
Delanie walker is a converted WR who cannot block, and is a crappy return man, and probably one of the most overrated, at least on the webzone, TE's.

Look at what Rob Gronkowsi and Aaron Hernandez are doing after only playing 18 games, this is what I envisioned Harbaugh doing, but so far TE;'s have been invisible.

I have never been a Delanie Walker fan, he simply is a tweener that is over hyped.

Bob Kawalski and Alex Henderson are just two more random names plugged into the machine that is the New England offense. Isn't Brady averaging 500 yards a game? You are comparing that with our offense? Oh wait, Tom Grokowski and Ron Jimenez are the reason Brady is throwing for all of those yards? Lucky Brady, loaded with talent every year.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
id let my daughter date him
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Bob Kawalski and Alex Henderson are just two more random names plugged into the machine that is the New England offense. Isn't Brady averaging 500 yards a game? You are comparing that with our offense? Oh wait, Tom Grokowski and Ron Jimenez are the reason Brady is throwing for all of those yards? Lucky Brady, loaded with talent every year.

Delanie Walker is a "tight end" that is a mismatch for linebackers. He plays his role perfectly. I love it when he lines up in the backfield instead of Norris, we can actually run OR pass! It's amazing.
underutilized
I have to disagree that he'd start on most teams. He's a hybrid really. A converted WR because he didn't have the speed to play WR in the NFL. But doesn't really have the blocking ability that a good TE should. He also still drops easy passes, and is a danger to fumble every time he does catch it. He can be a mismatch in some offensive packages, but only as a compliment to Davis - not as a #1 TE. Eric Johnson 2.0. Everyone raved on him and talked about how good his hands were (because that's what the TV commentators always said), yet he'd go out and drop more balls than TO.

Very athletic TE...but a pure pass catcher only.

I think he's extremely underrated but I would not ask him to block anyone.
[ Edited by Sjceruti on Sep 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I have to disagree that he'd start on most teams. He's a hybrid really. A converted WR because he didn't have the speed to play WR in the NFL. But doesn't really have the blocking ability that a good TE should. He also still drops easy passes, and is a danger to fumble every time he does catch it. He can be a mismatch in some offensive packages, but only as a compliment to Davis - not as a #1 TE. Eric Johnson 2.0. Everyone raved on him and talked about how good his hands were (because that's what the TV commentators always said), yet he'd go out and drop more balls than TO.

This best fits with my view of Walker.
I'm so sick of not knowing how good or bad our players are year after year. WTF? Walker has been on this team forever and nobody knows how good or bad he really is. He could be the next Raymac (good) or the next Manny Lawson (bad). Too many of our guys rookie contracts expire before they are even allowed to contribute. It's very frustrating. I know it's not the current frotn offices fault, but I tired none the less. I really hope we get going this year. I know the Oline has to block, but lets throw the dam ball.

One excuse I dont want to hear this week, "we dont have any weapons." B.S

We have all the guys we had last year and more. So we don't have Edwards, so what? We only had him for a short off season and two games anyway. Let's go Ginn, Let's go Davis, Let's Crabs, Lets go Morgan, Williams, Walker, Gore and hunter. Edwards abscense is no excuse to suck or play conservative.
Originally posted by Squidp:

That harbaltary doesn't exploit often enough.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Squidp:

That harbaltary doesn't exploit often enough.
Got to give him a pass since Alex had a concussion. I find it hard to believe he didn't know, but he can't say so or the league would rain down fire on his butt. Obviously, i'm speculating.
Share 49ersWebzone