LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 206 users in the forums

What is your opinion of Delanie Walker?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I bring this topic not only to foster some discussion but also because it seems like forever that we've been drooling about Walker and Davis together creating mismatch problems. Let's face it, it just hasn't happened and who knows if it will ever happen in the future. Walker hasn't put up anything near the numbers to warrant some of the recognition that he receives from the fans and media. In fact, he rarely plays more than half the snaps on offense and I don't think he's ever had a big catching day either. Simply put, he's not our "X-factor" and while he's a good #2 TE, I don't think there's potential for much more from him.

I know I'm starting this thread on the heels of a great but rare touchdown play by him, so I know 'Zone opinion may be swayed a little. Anyways, discuss...or flame on!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He would start for most teams.
He's good. It's a new offense (again). Relax.
He has cool hair
He's overrated on this board. A fumble waiting to happen. Drops some easy passes too.
We need to get him more involved in the vertical game asap, I remember Troy Smith and him connecting on some nice gains. In this offense though, he won't be putting up big numbers anytime soon. We'll see this sunday, it should be interesting.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's overrated on this board. A fumble waiting to happen. Drops some easy passes too.

I think his playmaking ability shadows the fact that he can't block well. He's not a starting TE... but he is a solid #2 and a GREAT compliment to Vernon
I think that Walker can be a great X-factor for this offense as we continue to open up the playbook and pass the ball more. We saw some of his potential in this offense vs the Cowboys on that touchdown.
I think he is a great threat that teams forget about. He's definitely a starting caliber tight end in the league.
Originally posted by okdkid:

this

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

How's that 0-16 season coming along?
  • Rizo
  • Veteran
P-Town (D. Walker) would be a starter if he wasn't with the Niners, but I'm sure glad he's our #2!!! On a side note, Walker is from Pomona, CA. Inland Empire being represented in the NFL and for the best team around, our very own 49ers. Sorry for the extra home town support.! We don't get a lot of local guys making into the NFL. Especially to my beloved 49ers. Haha
Originally posted by okdkid:

this.
He look like Kanye
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I bring this topic not only to foster some discussion but also because it seems like forever that we've been drooling about Walker and Davis together creating mismatch problems. Let's face it, it just hasn't happened and who knows if it will ever happen in the future. Walker hasn't put up anything near the numbers to warrant some of the recognition that he receives from the fans and media. In fact, he rarely plays more than half the snaps on offense and I don't think he's ever had a big catching day either. Simply put, he's not our "X-factor" and while he's a good #2 TE, I don't think there's potential for much more from him.

I know I'm starting this thread on the heels of a great but rare touchdown play by him, so I know 'Zone opinion may be swayed a little. Anyways, discuss...or flame on!

Let's just back up a bit.

Let's say you take all the All-Pro TE's and WR's and put them in our offense. What kind of numbers will they put up?
If we only throw the ball 20 times a game, and put up 150 yards a game, what kind of numbers are they supposed to put up?

Or even better. What if Antonio Gates replaced Delanie Walker? Would he somehow magically put up huge numbers in our offense? Would Smith throw him the ball more? What would cause him to get huge numbers? With only 20 footballs in the air and half of them check downs, what kind of numbers are you expecting?
Share 49ersWebzone