There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Check out this article about Alex Smith from 2006 - Comparisons to Steve Young

http://blog.sfgate.com/cwnevius/2006/09/18/what-have-the-49ers-done-to-alex-smith/
Question is. Who does he compare with now? He's playing better but is still mediocre.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Question is. Who does he compare with now? He's playing better but is still mediocre.

Tim Couch.....

He's playing like Rich Gannon when he came to the Raiders and met Jim Harbaugh.
  • kush
  • Veteran
*boner bangs bottom of computer table*

We don't have an accurate account of what he is really capable of in Harbaugh's WCO yet because it's been pretty vanilla thus far.
Originally posted by verb1der:
He's playing like Rich Gannon when he came to the Raiders and met Jim Harbaugh.

If he plays to the level of Gannon with the raiders I'd be elated.
Alex 2011= Alex 2006

Which is a shame on so many levels.
The point about Steve Young taking time to develop is well made. Deer caught in headlights, was the popular stevexcuse of the time. I don't know if Smith can turn it round, he has certainly been through more than Young had, at the equivalent time.
is he steve young yet?
Originally posted by stunder49:
is he steve young yet?

Well, Young didn't become Young until he was about 28. And that was surrounded by some truly great players and with some excellent coaching.
Originally posted by English:
Well, Young didn't become Young until he was about 28. And that was surrounded by some truly great players and with some excellent coaching.

so he has no chance. wake me up when we draft chase mccoy in 3 years.
Originally posted by stunder49:
so he has no chance. wake me up when we draft chase mccoy in 3 years.

Tyler Bray will be a much better choice than McCoy.
Originally posted by English:
The point about Steve Young taking time to develop is well made. Deer caught in headlights, was the popular stevexcuse of the time. I don't know if Smith can turn it round, he has certainly been through more than Young had, at the equivalent time.

He's been through more with the niners but Young had quite a time of it in the USFL and TB. Not sure who had more problems but Young had a personal contract with the owner of the Express for a 40 million dollar annuity paid over 40 years. Always a smart lad! He received two fresh starts.

Great article by the way, as it gives me hope for a turn around.
For him to follow the Steve Young success story, he will need to be traded for chump change to another team where he will blossom.