There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Man it is getting tiresome having someone have a career game against us game after game

• cgida
  • Veteran
Goes to show you our D is still suspect. We need true DB's and I think Goldson and Spencer coming back will help tremendously.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I know this is hyperbole, but this Dallas game just made Tony Romo a hero for beating SF with a broken rib and punctured lung. Last yr we had any # of RBs, have career games against us, same for WRs, Same for QBs, same for opponents Defenses, same for getting outcoached....it is getting to point where every time we play someone, we make somebody a star....a hero...or give them an new record of some kind. I thot maybe the pendulum had swung back our first game when Ginn did the reverse to SEA, with his two TDs, a KO and PR. Then the cowboys and Romo. Is there some kind of bad karma or jing or something else following us around on sundays? In a way, it is in great part due to schidt for coaching the last 8 yrs. That surely could account for some of this. But are the 9ers just beat mentally before they step foot on the field, or are they just unlucky, or has just having a really crappy team caused so many memorable games for so many of our opponents? Whatever, I would desperately like for this to stop...and sooner the better.

Couldn't of said it better myself (Maybe shorter though).

Anyway, I agree 100.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I know this is hyperbole, but this Dallas game just made Tony Romo a hero for beating SF with a broken rib and punctured lung. Last yr we had any # of RBs, have career games against us, same for WRs, Same for QBs, same for opponents Defenses, same for getting outcoached....it is getting to point where every time we play someone, we make somebody a star....a hero...or give them an new record of some kind. I thot maybe the pendulum had swung back our first game when Ginn did the reverse to SEA, with his two TDs, a KO and PR. Then the cowboys and Romo. Is there some kind of bad karma or jing or something else following us around on sundays? In a way, it is in great part due to schidt for coaching the last 8 yrs. That surely could account for some of this. But are the 9ers just beat mentally before they step foot on the field, or are they just unlucky, or has just having a really crappy team caused so many memorable games for so many of our opponents? Whatever, I would desperately like for this to stop...and sooner the better.
Dont we have a record of not allowing a 100 yard rusher???

That's what I thought too...
I think the question I have in back of my mind is , "Is there some kind of weird bugaboo that somehow has psyched the 49ers out so that when they play a good game, this little voice comes out and says , "you played good so relax, but you aren't going to win this game?". Is it a jinx, has it just been thoroughly horrid coaching, horrid ownership, or is there something we can't put our finger on that has snatched so many games away from us that we could have won?. "Loser's attitude" comes to mind, and if that is it, then one thing JH better also work on in the film room and on the field is the positive:"Guys, you come from a great tradition, and you are close to becoming a dominant team. You are going to win the close games because you are better players, better prepared, have a better coaching staff, and are winners".

Honestly , i don't know if something like that needs to be instilled into these guys, but our all too apparent weakness, pass D, showed some really nice break ups by CBs, DBs, and LBs. Those were then followed up by some awful coverages(broken coverages), poor effort, indecision on who to cover, or being too slow to stay with the WR. HOw does all that happen back to back? Same goes for our improving OL. Sometimes they look very good , sometimes they get knocked back 4 yds. Why? Is it inattentiveness, defeatist attitude, 8 yrs of shiddy coaching, a curse because of Eddie D and suitcase of money....or what? I would love to know answers to this so that then maybe coaches could work on it. Thing is, it feels like jello in your hand. You can't get a grip on it. Any ideas...or am i just way off base?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I agree. ESPN and MNF were all on Romo's nuts.

If we had covered at least deep before the half instead of whatever the ph**k that was, we would be in first.

have not watched nfl network or espn all cause of this

Its called "momentum". You have it when you go for a win, when you go for the big play. Unfortunately, our coaches and quarterbacks over the years have killed momentum by playing "not-to-throw-picks" and playing "not-to-lose".

Until we get rid of that mentality, expect to see more "knife in the gut" games like this one.
I think the question I have in back of my mind is , "Is there some kind of weird bugaboo that somehow has psyched the 49ers out so that when they play a good game, this little voice comes out and says , "you played good so relax, but you aren't going to win this game?". Is it a jinx, has it just been thoroughly horrid coaching, horrid ownership, or is there something we can't put our finger on that has snatched so many games away from us that we could have won?. "Loser's attitude" comes to mind, and if that is it, then one thing JH better also work on in the film room and on the field is the positive:"Guys, you come from a great tradition, and you are close to becoming a dominant team. You are going to win the close games because you are better players, better prepared, have a better coaching staff, and are winners".

Honestly , i don't know if something like that needs to be instilled into these guys, but our all too apparent weakness, pass D, showed some really nice break ups by CBs, DBs, and LBs. Those were then followed up by some awful coverages(broken coverages), poor effort, indecision on who to cover, or being too slow to stay with the WR. HOw does all that happen back to back? Same goes for our improving OL. Sometimes they look very good , sometimes they get knocked back 4 yds. Why? Is it inattentiveness, defeatist attitude, 8 yrs of shiddy coaching, a curse because of Eddie D and suitcase of money....or what? I would love to know answers to this so that then maybe coaches could work on it. Thing is, it feels like jello in your hand. You can't get a grip on it. Any ideas...or am i just way off base?

In all of sports, there is momentum. When the other team has it, there is nothing you can do about it. And when your team has it, there is nothing the other team can do about it. Momentum ebbs and flows, but some teams can keep it strong for a long time because they believe they can WIN.
There are many comebacks in football, because the team who is behind is going for the big play, going for the WIN. They don't have anything to lose, so they don't have the opportunity to think about playing not-to-lose. They put all of their ability and talent on the line, and if they come up short, at least they tried.

When we gave Dallas a chance to come back into the game with 11:16 to go, I knew that we just gave them the momentum. We told them, "Here, take the football. You have 11:16 to win the quarter +10 points against us, can you do it?"
Human beings respond to challenges. People are at their best when they are looking to make something happen rather than sit back and hope something bad doesn't happen.
Psychology is huge. When an offense drives down the field into the redzone and the defense holds them to a field goal. The defense feels like they got a little bit of a relief, "Well, at least it was ONLY a field goal. We're still in this game." Giving a team that little spark of hope, that little chance, makes all the difference in the world.
Now, if you drive down the field and score a touchdown, the defense thinks,"Wow, we have to do better, we're running out of time. Its going to be tough now." Those little thoughts going through player's heads is the difference between having momentum or not. And having momentum makes the difference between winning a close game or losing it.
We challenged Tony Romo to step up and he did. We prayed Alex Smith wouldn't make another mistake, and he didn't. Both were successful from the perspective of what they were trying to do. Of course the winner was the one who went for the win, rather than avoiding the loss.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/09/22/from-romo-to-rodgers-49ers-torched-by-top-quarterbacks/

great article. Now a lot of us always focus on the offense, one minute no TD, and 1 rushing TD, and a couple good breaks we win, then we say need more from the offense.

Then next game our Qb throws for 2td's, definitely an improvement. Its good for other teams, with that QB result, but they get help from the RB and the defense.

In our case, we got no help from the running game, and once again our secondary broke down. I dont think it matters who we play, shootout or not, if the QB's are really just that good, then so be it, but like the title of this thread, even nobody's have career days against us.

This is a pretty good stat about just how bad our secondary is, and IMHO that the no 1 problem on our squad.
The breakdown from last season:
Those seven QBs vs. 49ers (107.5 rating): 152 of 225, 1,854 yards, 15 TDs, 4 INTs
Those seven QBs vs. the rest of the NFL (93.4): 2,168 of 3,442, 25,323 yards, 176 TDs, 73 INTs
* And below is a look at how QBs have fared against the 49ers in the past 18 games.
(Raise your hand if you can identify the one “good” quarterback on the list San Francisco has stopped. Sorry, we can't give credit for Matt Hasselbeck. Anyone else? Yes, fine work. Matt Ryan is the correct answer).
Game 1: Tarvaris Jackson 78.3 QB rating (21-37-197-2 TDs-1 INT)
Game 2: Tony Romo 116.4 (20-33-345-2-0)
Aaron Rodgers had the fourth-highest QB rating of his career against the 49ers last year.
(QBs in bold finished among the NFL's top 16 in passer rating)
Game 1: Matt Hasselbeck 108.3 (18-23-170-2-1)
Game 2: Drew Brees 108.8 (28-38-254-2-0)
Game 3: Matt Cassel 111.7 (16-27-250-3-1)
Game 4: Matt Ryan 67.3 (26-43-273-1-2)
Game 5: Kevin Kolb 103.3 (21-31-253-1-0)
Game 6: Jason Campbell 10.7 (8-21-83-0-2)
Game 7: Matt Moore 96.4 (28-41-308-2-1)
Game 8: Kyle Orton 96.8 (28-40-370-1-1)
Game 9: Sam Bradford 94.4 (30-42-251-1-0)
Game 10: Josh Freeman 117.9 (14-22-136-2-0)
Game 11: Derek Anderson 51.6 (16-35-196-0-1)
Game 12: Aaron Rodgers 135.1 (21-30-298-3-0)
Game 13: Matt Hasselbeck 60.2 (27-42-285-2-4)
Game 14: Philip Rivers 150.5 (19-25-273-3-0)
Game 15: Sam Bradford 107.0 (28-37-292-1-0)
Game 16: John Skelton/Richard Bartel 58.8 (30-53-242-1-2)
This just in: Tony Romo played with a broken back along with a punctured lung and fractured ribs in his heroic win over the Niners last weekend and a source close to the organization is reporting he may have held his breath for the entire second half. They'll be talking about this game all season just like the Favre hail mary in MN.

On a serious note, nfl.com is reporting a ct scan revealed his lung is all healed up too just 4 days later. Imagine that. Sports medicine sure has come a long ways. Either that or Romo is a modern medical marvel as well as being an elite NFL QB. fml

I'm sick to death of teams having all time classic NFL games against us each week. Can we please dominate someone already. The NINER fans have earned it!!
So are the 9ers snakebit because they have drafted poorly, yearly since 2000? Or is that they have been coached for the longest period of time continuously by the poorest, most feckless, horrid coaches in the entire nfl? Or is it that they have been bad so long they feel defeated before they step on the field against Romo, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Rothliesberger, Schaub, Ryan, Vick ,et al? Was the ownership change so bad for so long that all the above happened? Or is it a bit of all the above, or maybe a lot of all the above, and the heralded player who comes here, in short order falls under the 49ers losing attitude? When you look back we have been literally out of some games within 10 minutes of the game starting...but not many. Many times it seems we are holding our own, are either ahead or perhaps a little behind, and come the 4th qtr, we just short out/ give up/ can't pass block/ can't cover...or whatever other malady might befall us.

I only bring this up because it just seems improbable that we have drafted everyone poorly except for frank and p-52 over the last 8 yrs. Some of those guys are way better than they have played , yet we never saw it. We never have seen a guy come in , grab this team by their throats and say, "We are gonna kill the next team in here and we are gonna beat them to a pulp." Maybe we just haven't had a leader to get guys angry, or charged up...or motivated. As BrianGo mentioned, we have not had momentum, yet there is something that sparks that momentum, and we don't have it. Crap-tree did not help the 9er attitude by holding out and then not playing for half a season, probably never learned the playbook. Vernon is victim of not being used as an offensive playcatching asset, in that he has been one of the team's best blockers, and that speaks reams of "BAD" about our continuing OL underachievement, in spite of 3 1st rd picks and one 2nd. Maybe it has been coaching all along, and the first reversion to the "Losing 49ers" came against a top flite QB in Romo, playing hurt. Maybe JH just needs time to teach each and every player on the OL how to actually play his position...we have drafted good college players, after all. As for the D, CB and DB play has just been bad since 2000, with sparks only when playing really bad teams.

Whatever is going on, JH has taken on a task that from the outside, seems near hopeless. He is a great coach, but i believe he learned in the DAllas game that he is going to have to coach around a lot of weak areas, from OL to DB/CB. He has a long way to go to get WRs to run crisp routes, and the OL is a yr long task. Whatever he has to do physically to this team re: teaching, I think he is going to have to match with psych inducements to get these guys to play like the old 9ers, as a family, as a team. At this point, our physical incapabilities are matched only by those in players heads...and somehow, jH is going to have fix that.
So are the 9ers snakebit because they have drafted poorly, yearly since 2000? Or is that they have been coached for the longest period of time continuously by the poorest, most feckless, horrid coaches in the entire nfl? Or is it that they have been bad so long they feel defeated before they step on the field against Romo, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Rothliesberger, Schaub, Ryan, Vick ,et al? Was the ownership change so bad for so long that all the above happened? Or is it a bit of all the above, or maybe a lot of all the above, and the heralded player who comes here, in short order falls under the 49ers losing attitude? When you look back we have been literally out of some games within 10 minutes of the game starting...but not many. Many times it seems we are holding our own, are either ahead or perhaps a little behind, and come the 4th qtr, we just short out/ give up/ can't pass block/ can't cover...or whatever other malady might befall us.

I only bring this up because it just seems improbable that we have drafted everyone poorly except for frank and p-52 over the last 8 yrs. Some of those guys are way better than they have played , yet we never saw it. We never have seen a guy come in , grab this team by their throats and say, "We are gonna kill the next team in here and we are gonna beat them to a pulp." Maybe we just haven't had a leader to get guys angry, or charged up...or motivated. As BrianGo mentioned, we have not had momentum, yet there is something that sparks that momentum, and we don't have it. Crap-tree did not help the 9er attitude by holding out and then not playing for half a season, probably never learned the playbook. Vernon is victim of not being used as an offensive playcatching asset, in that he has been one of the team's best blockers, and that speaks reams of "BAD" about our continuing OL underachievement, in spite of 3 1st rd picks and one 2nd. Maybe it has been coaching all along, and the first reversion to the "Losing 49ers" came against a top flite QB in Romo, playing hurt. Maybe JH just needs time to teach each and every player on the OL how to actually play his position...we have drafted good college players, after all. As for the D, CB and DB play has just been bad since 2000, with sparks only when playing really bad teams.

Whatever is going on, JH has taken on a task that from the outside, seems near hopeless. He is a great coach, but i believe he learned in the DAllas game that he is going to have to coach around a lot of weak areas, from OL to DB/CB. He has a long way to go to get WRs to run crisp routes, and the OL is a yr long task. Whatever he has to do physically to this team re: teaching, I think he is going to have to match with psych inducements to get these guys to play like the old 9ers, as a family, as a team. At this point, our physical incapabilities are matched only by those in players heads...and somehow, jH is going to have fix that.

I hope Jim Harbaugh got a huge wake up call and realized he can't keep with playing not to lose.
Amen to that , Bro, amen to that. I guarantee you he didn't coach that way at Stanford, but this is his first shot at the bigs. Maybe it is inherent with rookie coaches, but i sure as hell hope not. Maybe, JoeC, just maybe, if JH gambles and starts playing to win, and not to lose, that might just be the spark to get this franchise off the deck.
Heck if coach is a gambler, lays it all out on the line, maybe it might catch on to the guys on the field. If we lose, so be it. Playing not to lose...always loses. JH lost this Dallas game, sure as shootin'. I think, and have hope he learned his lesson. When he took over stanford it wasn't in exactly great shape either. And, he ain't a DC or worse, a LB .coach. That's a start.
I don't know man. I just can't see us drafting THAT many guys and only having a few of them be good. I really really think it has more to do with coaching. We haven't had good coaching in this organization for years upon years.

It's going to be very interesting to see how we look this Sunday after the Cowboys game. It feels like we got better on offense and defense from week 1 to week 2. After watching the games over and over, certain things just looked better. Especially loved the fade route that we had to Williams for the TD. I think we're going to keep getting better, it's exciting. We have a HC who actually knows how to learn from his mistakes.
Whom, I have posted many times that the odds of us drafting nothing but stiffs is not likely. Sure we may have drafted some busts, but not everyone. That just smacks of shiddy coaching, say for the last 8 yrs. We know Harbaugh is a great coach, and has the ability... ericson no, noln no, and BM definitely not. JH lost the last game on a bad call, but he learned. The previous 3 coaches didn't learn, just making same mistakes over and over. JH will come along, he has gotten his first lesson in don't play not to lose, esp against a redhot qb like romo, brees, brady, rivers, etc. JH is capable of coaching around weaknesses, and the OL qualifies for that. Also nfl teams still know we can't beat 8 or 9 in the box, which is ridiculous. The cure for that is to snap it and sling it , all slants, and get the D back to a 3-4 or 4-3 set. Then frank can actually get some running room. And with Braylon out, and Craps MIA, I would put Vernon and Delanie at WRs along with Morgan, and throw nothing but quick slants until the D backs off. It will make our OL look a helluva lot better also, not having to hold anyone out. Later, after success, throw the occasional deep one, but concentrate on the dinks and dunks.
A.Dalton..to HOF after playing the niners this sunday...