LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

How long are we supposed to be satisfied with a vanilla offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Did you miss the 50 yard rocket to Gore in the end zone last week, which was called PI which led to a TD?

1 play. So its not all bad

I'm glad we at least look capable of putting up points.

Last year we scored 17 or less in 4 of our first six games. Three of those were 14 or less. Through the first two weeks, we have already scored more points than 2010 49ers did in their first four games last year.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Originally posted by SFGem:
Is Alex even capable of throwing a pass more than 20 yards?

Ask Harbaugh. He's the one setting up the gameplan. I'd love Harbaugh to just let Alex Smith loose and let him sling it around like he did in college. If he'd allow that against the Cowboys we'd have won! It was the not putting the nail in the coffin that cost us the game.

If Alex throws more passes will he throw more ints too? That int he threw was bad
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Alex Smith + piss poor offensive line + mediocre skill position players + coach who prefers to run the ball = vanilla offense.

i dont think our line is that bad,, they are bad,, but not terrible,, its just Alex has no pocket awareness at all,,,
Originally posted by RonRon:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Alex Smith + piss poor offensive line + mediocre skill position players + coach who prefers to run the ball = vanilla offense.

i dont think our line is that bad,, they are bad,, but not terrible,, its just Alex has no pocket awareness at all,,,

Please explain and point out with visual evidence what you're talking about, from Sunday's game.

That last statement would be more accurate if you just took out the word "awareness". The fact that Alex is on pace to set career highs in rushing tells me he has plenty of pocket awareness, as that shows that when the pocket is breaking down he has found ways to get out and pick up positive yardage.

Passers with poor pocket awareness often have a lot of fumbles from season to season. Smith's fumble totals have been very low the past few years, evidence that supports the idea of a large number of sacks coming from straight up poor OL play, and not a lack of pocket awareness on the part of the QB.

Just saying.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM ]
Until the big baby (Smith) stops drinking milk of his baba!!!!...............since Harbaugh has to baby sit his learning curve we are stuck for a while
It's been 2 weeks guys, TWO f**kIN WEEKS. AND WE WON THE FIRST GAME.
This thread sucks...for christ sake we had almost no offseason...and a whole new coaching staff and youre wondering why we dont open it up in the 2nd week of the season...
....as long as Alex is our quarterback. Watch, it's going to be 5 years later and we will still be making excuses for this bum!
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
No one is satisfied, but some understand that a more sophisticated offense is part of an evolving process that shouldn't be marred by panicky overreaction to one loss.

Cooler heads prevail in the end. I'm guessing/hoping Harbaugh is playing vanilla because he wants to see what he has & will customize the playbook to maximize the strength of our players.

I am soooooooooooo very thankful to see some cooler heads in NT. I agree it will be a process but we will get there. We play all of the rest of our divisional games in the later half of the season , just loving that idea.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I am soooooooooooo very thankful to see some cooler heads in NT. I agree it will be a process but we will get there. We play all of the rest of our divisional games in the later half of the season , just loving that idea.

I don't blame my fellow faithful for their anger. I'm sick of losing to.

When I watch the best QB's in this league (Brady,Brees,Rodgers and especially Manning) play I always notice that not only do they complete more passes then the average QB's in the league but the reason they do is because they are willing to throw the ball into a very small window. They only need their receiver to get a half-step on the defender and the ball is out and thrown accurately.
In Manning case he is not throwing to the best WR's or even close to the best WR' in the league but he gets it done. Now with him out with his neck injury the team is falling apart.
I wonder if Harbaugh is keeping the game plan simple because he does not believe Alex can make these throws or is Alex himself not willing to make these throws when the opportunity is presented to him? Might be why the game plan seems so vanilla. Just a thought.
doesn't matter if you're satisfied or not

Lock this dumba$$ post...
Share 49ersWebzone