LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Are we getting better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by backontop:
We could be a lot better if Harbaugh would stop handcuffing the offense and open the damn playbook.

The West Coast Offense is one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL. By player accounts, it is a very thick playbook. (All NFL playbooks for that matter) My question to you is, do you think that the the 49er offense has that playbook mastered in a month and a half? And if your honest answer is no, then how can they possibly open it up? You can't master a High School Play book in a month in a half, if you played or coached High school ball you'd know this to be true. Our desires for what we want the 49ers to do and what IS, are two different things. The offense will open up when they have the ability to open it up. Everyone is expecting instant oatmeal but look the circumstances that we are in, that led up to this season, and you use logic, and a little common sense you'll see that we are as well as can be expected.

What does this have to do with calling run-run-run or playing conservative. A lot of teams deal with this. Last time I remember, Martz offense is the most complicated and we called much more aggressive plays then. Hell, even Shaun Hill made big plays in that offense. JTO racked up 321 yards in his 2nd game vs SEA.

There is 0 proof of how little of the offense the players know or how much they know. A lot of offenses are complicated and rookie QB's are running more plays than we are.
  • Jiks
We could be a lot better if Harbaugh would stop handcuffing the offense and open the damn playbook.

The West Coast Offense is one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL. By player accounts, it is a very thick playbook. (All NFL playbooks for that matter) My question to you is, do you think that the the 49er offense has that playbook mastered in a month and a half? And if your honest answer is no, then how can they possibly open it up? You can't master a High School Play book in a month in a half, if you played or coached High school ball you'd know this to be true. Our desires for what we want the 49ers to do and what IS, are two different things. The offense will open up when they have the ability to open it up. Everyone is expecting instant oatmeal but look the circumstances that we are in, that led up to this season, and you use logic, and a little common sense you'll see that we are as well as can be expected.

Good post!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
Originally posted by Joecool:

What does this have to do with calling run-run-run or playing conservative. A lot of teams deal with this. Last time I remember, Martz offense is the most complicated and we called much more aggressive plays then. Hell, even Shaun Hill made big plays in that offense. JTO racked up 321 yards in his 2nd game vs SEA.

There is 0 proof of how little of the offense the players know or how much they know. A lot of offenses are complicated and rookie QB's are running more plays than we are.

Not to defend smith or anything...

I think Haubaugh realized what we already know and that Smith has ZERO self confidence. and the playbook needs to be opened up one page at at time for him and needs to be congratulated for every little detail. a lot of the other rookie QB's coming into the league are 10x more confident (or overconfident) in themselves which is a big reason in their production.

that's why we can't take off the handcuffs.
that's why we can't put the game in smith's hands.
that's why we have to be conservative.
that's why, as bad as our DB's are, they have to be trusted with the game.

he's arguably looking as good as (if not better) than he did under turner, but If we take the leash of smith now, he'll regress into mr deer in headlights again.
Originally posted by Joecool:

that is a good point. which is why i myself believe that harbaugh is doing this to limit the mistakes of alex smith. you cant suddenly forget chants of WE WANT CARR and just expect that to go away with the start of a new season. harbaugh is building his confidence IMO to allow him to perform better and when he does that fans will get behind him. and to answer the thread question yes we are getting better and we should have won that dallas game if it werent for a few blown coverages and i do believe harbaugh should have taken the first down instead of 3 points because it would have been a chip shot for a sure kicker if they failed to get the TD but even so we should have won but we couldnt avoid a few mistakes a lot of people were falling down also
The last two posts are pretty much the only conclusion I can come up with also. Still upsetting to not try to play to our full potential over protecting a player.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Not to defend smith or anything...

I think Haubaugh realized what we already know and that Smith has ZERO self confidence. and the playbook needs to be opened up one page at at time for him and needs to be congratulated for every little detail. a lot of the other rookie QB's coming into the league are 10x more confident (or overconfident) in themselves which is a big reason in their production.

that's why we can't take off the handcuffs.
that's why we can't put the game in smith's hands.
that's why we have to be conservative.
that's why, as bad as our DB's are, they have to be trusted with the game.

he's arguably looking as good as (if not better) than he did under turner, but If we take the leash of smith now, he'll regress into mr deer in headlights again.

Stop making sense...
if we throw the ball more down the field and teams actually start game planning for alex..can he handle the pressure...teams are playing the run obviously and he still is having trouble finding the open man... if teams switch to defending the pass, were doomed lol
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Are we getting better?

Sure, we are.
You are always gonna have the glass is half empty crowd versus the glass is half full crowd. You are never staying the same , you are either getting better or getting worse and guess what we are 1-1 when we were 0-2 at this point last season. The team is learning a new system with an abreviated off season it's gonna take some time. Alex Smith has looked better to me so far this season and I have never been a believer in his abilities. He seems a bit more accurate to me and he is executing the plays that have been called so far pretty well considering the OL in both pass protection and run blocking. I hate to lose any game but we were winning thoughout the game until the end and overtime , screw the doom and gloom , my glass is half full and that other half I drank has got me feeling less pain.

GO NINER'S

Better. Better. Better. And IMO, it's only going to get better...
If you look at the other teams' QBs, they're putting up 300+ yards. How many times has Alex put up over 200+ yards? I want him to succeed and I think we are getting better, but without those numbers, we will always stay an average team and beat other average teams. To do a lot better, we need to put up bigger yardage numbers or we don't stand a chance against the top tier teams.
Oh for the love of baby jesus will everyone stop b***hing about the yards. Look at Cam Newton who has thrown for 400+ yards in both games...the Panthers are 0-2. Look at what all those yards did for the team. Quality not quantity here. In Alex's 179 yards he threw 2 TD's in only 24 attempts and he ranks 31st in pass attempts. He is completing over 70% of his passes and is throwing the ball very efficiently. If only Alex had thrown for 432 yards 1 TD and 3 Int's we would have won!
also how many times did alex lead his team to the redzone? ill bet more times than cam newton. yardage isnt everything, in alex's 170 something yards we were leading dallas all game long. not his fault the coaches got timid in the second half. hopefully now harbaugh knows he can trust smith a little more and let him air it out a little more.
Share 49ersWebzone