LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 308 users in the forums

Are we getting better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 5280High:
unlike previous coaching regimes who impliment a play in practice and then move on even if the players get it wrong, this coaching staff is emphazing perfecting each play.

And the reason for them to do that was even more disheartening. It wasn't good for the defense because they already knew what the play would be run. And here I thought practices are for both offense and defense. Defense was the bomb and offense was just an ugly step child to be tolerated. WTF!

This is the main reason I changed my mind about Smith, when we drafted him I thought it was a mistake to draft a project qb with the first pick of the draft. But an even bigger mistake was to start him year one on a team with no talent. Then I hear about how in practice they only run plays once, and if it is sloppy, they just go on to the next one. I could not believe a professional coaching staff would be so idiotic as to not try to get it right. Even in my high school days our coach would make us run the plays until every player was able to execute that play without having to think about it. Did any of you other former coaches/players ever just move on to the next play? Things like that made me believe that Smith could be a starter if he had any real coaching.
harbaugh gets a pass this year for being a rook. I definitely see progress though.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Yes we are while the Rams and Seahawks are getting worse. Arizona is still the same team to me. We have a chance and that's all I need to know.

Exactly, after 8 games the division could look like this with the way the west is playing:
1) Niners: Optomistically 5-3, most likely 4-4 (W: Sea, Cincy, TB, Cle, Wash, L: Dallas, Philly, Detroit, possibly TB or Wash)
2) Cards: Optomistically 4-4. most likely 4-4 (if they lose to Min then 3-5)
3) Rams: Optomistically 2-6, most likely 1-7 (0-8 if they cant beat Washinton or the Cards)
4) Seahawks: Optomistically 3-5, most likely 2-6 (they probably lose to the Browns in Cleveland)

After the middle of the season, Niners tough games are Baltimore, Pitt and NYG, then Cards twice, Rams Twice and Seahawks once.

Seattle has to play Balt, Philly, Washinton, and Chicago after the midway point, Rams have Cleveland, Cincy & Pitt, Cards have Philly, Dallas, Cleveland and Cincy.

If the niners can make it to .500 by week 9, it looks like it'll be a two team race between us and the cards for the division, and whoever has the best divisionaly record will probably take it since it's looking less and less like the NFC west can beat anyone outside of Cincy or Cleveland in a nondivisional matchup.

For a shortened offseason, new coaching staff, limited playbook, average QB, sub par O-line and Secondary... not a shabby season.

It still needs to play out, but looking at the schedules for all the teams... its beginning to look allot more realistic assuming (fingers crossed) the niners can beat the bad teams in the league like Cincy, cleveland, washington and the NFC west.
Our secondary seems to be worse, in terms of the sub-units on the team.
Everything else, I see incremental signs of being better, except for Special Teams which is all around strong.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I think we're definitely getting better. I think we're just being impatient because we see FLASHES (1st half of both games) of how good this offense can be. Then we see how regressive (2nd halfs) the offense can be and it becomes frustrating.

If we can consistently attack the whole game...no one can beat us.

I do also. We just haven't learned how to win yet including our head coach.We won't last long playing like we have in the first 2 games.

I know our secondary has some injuries but man are they blowing a lot of assignments or tackles. We wanted pressure on the QB and got it but I recall 4 scores now off of big plays for the opposition and it is KILLING us.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
harbaugh gets a pass this year for being a rook. I definitely see progress though.

He's getting $15 Million he gets no pass. They need to make the play offs at Minimum. I don't expect much beyond that.
Originally posted by Uppercut:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

He's getting $15 Million he gets no pass. They need to make the play offs at Minimum. I don't expect much beyond that.

Regardless of what he gets paid, you demand that a rookie HC makes the playoffs at a minimum?

lol.

15?? He gets 5/yr for 5 years. So it's either 5 or 25 million, not 15...

Way to manage your expectations man. He's making 25 by the way.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Regardless of what he gets paid, you demand that a rookie HC makes the playoffs at a minimum?

lol.

In the NFC west yes, this is not the NFC East.

Originally posted by dhp318:
15?? He gets 5/yr for 5 years. So it's either 5 or 25 million, not 15...

He'll be here at least 3 years so he's getting $15 at least.
Yes, I believe we have gotten better. Here is what has improved: fewer turnovers and penalties, better pass rush, QB play (Smith has been smart with the football and very accurate so far)

Stayed the same: Pass protection (we need this to improve), run defense (glad to see no drop-off here), pass defense (this could improve once Spencer is back in the lineup as Spencer > Brown and Rogers > Clements).

Taken a step back: Running the ball (run blocking on the OL has taken a step back... really concerned about this).

So overall, I'd say we are a little better than last year with the potential of being alot better as the season goes on, guys get healthy, and the offense develops.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Harbaugh is going to do well. He needs time. At minimum he also needs:

QB
#1 WR
Deep threat
Another OLB
CB
FS

Once you guys stop overrating the 49ers overall talent and look at things objectively, the less pissed off you'll be. This is basically the same 6-10 team (that was with an easy schedule) with a different coach and a much harder schedule.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

lol.

In the NFC west yes, this is not the NFC East.

That may happen by default yes, but demanding a playoff caliber team is unreasonable.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 5280High:
unlike previous coaching regimes who impliment a play in practice and then move on even if the players get it wrong, this coaching staff is emphazing perfecting each play.

And the reason for them to do that was even more disheartening. It wasn't good for the defense because they already knew what the play would be run. And here I thought practices are for both offense and defense. Defense was the bomb and offense was just an ugly step child to be tolerated. WTF!

This is the main reason I changed my mind about Smith, when we drafted him I thought it was a mistake to draft a project qb with the first pick of the draft. But an even bigger mistake was to start him year one on a team with no talent. Then I hear about how in practice they only run plays once, and if it is sloppy, they just go on to the next one. I could not believe a professional coaching staff would be so idiotic as to not try to get it right. Even in my high school days our coach would make us run the plays until every player was able to execute that play without having to think about it. Did any of you other former coaches/players ever just move on to the next play? Things like that made me believe that Smith could be a starter if he had any real coaching.

Yeah, you can tell on game day that plays are well executed. I mean... that pass to Kyle Williams for the TD was a beauty. Blocking held up, routes were run nice and crisp, the timing on the pass was perfect and ball placement was perfect. The only difference between what we saw in the game and what they likely do in practice is that that one probably goes to Edwards in practice (nice job by Williams filling in though).
Share 49ersWebzone