LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Are we getting better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Yeah, we are getting better.

The dumb penalties have diminished this year, in fact they were hardly an issue on Sunday. I'm not a Smith supporter, but he looks much more confident this year and it is showing up in his play. Anthony Davis is getting it done this year, if barely.

Most importantly, we have signs of life on the pass rush front. While we're not where we need to be, this is very good news.

On the whole, we certainly have improved in key areas. Unfortunately, we're in rebuilding year one of rebuilding project #4, #5, or #6--I've lost count. So we're seeing a many of the same flaws that we're used to seeing. Given (yet another) two years, I expect we'll be a much better football team.
Penalties hardly an issue?? The neutral zone penalty on 3rd down gave the Cowboys 7 points. And that's one of the dumbest penalties you can get called for as a player. That was exactly how we lost games last year.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

The dumb penalties have diminished this year, in fact they were hardly an issue on Sunday. I'm not a Smith supporter, but he looks much more confident this year and it is showing up in his play. Anthony Davis is getting it done this year, if barely.

Most importantly, we have signs of life on the pass rush front. While we're not where we need to be, this is very good news.

On the whole, we certainly have improved in key areas. Unfortunately, we're in rebuilding year one of rebuilding project #4, #5, or #6--I've lost count. So we're seeing a many of the same flaws that we're used to seeing. Given (yet another) two years, I expect we'll be a much better football team.
Penalties hardly an issue?? The neutral zone penalty on 3rd down gave the Cowboys 7 points. And that's one of the dumbest penalties you can get called for as a player. That was exactly how we lost games last year.
Replays showed that was a horrible ass call
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

Replays showed that was a horrible ass call

Yeah, refs screwed that up big time. Someone posted a picture that showed he wasnt lined up wrong at all.
How many timeouts were used prior to the snap? I think three. Harbaugh should have used timeouts when Dallas was going to tie the game at the end so that we would have about 13 seconds for a kickoff. Should have taken the 15 yard penalty.

Same old coaching mistakes. I hink the Yorks rub off on any coach who comes here.
Originally posted by Whomeam:
Call me crazy but i'm even more excited after this game. Compare the offenses from the first and second games. Felt different and felt good. It feels like we're getting better each game. Our defense in the first half was pretty damn good, they just need to keep that momentum up. I think right now our coaches are still feeling the players out and they'll figure out how to keep that momentum going the entire game. For the first time in years, i'm actually getting more excited as the season progresses.

I have to agree , there is more to feel good about , and the rest is correctable , and I feel pretty confident it will be both addressed and corrected as the season progresses.
Are we getting better? It's a legit question, one win and one loss into the season we're really left with as many questions as when we started out the preseason. I think it all really boils down to how well Harbaugh learns from his mistakes. Let's not forget he's a rookie head coach as well and just like starting off at any job you're going to suffer some growing pains. We did sign up for this after all. Otherwise we could have hired Marty Schottenheimer.

I suppose I feel pretty comfortable in saying that after two games, the team appears better coached and more sharp than in years past, and that comes with a short training camp. There is just a feeling of capability that's there even if the production hasn't quite matched the ability just yet. Nevertheless, I don't feel so much like we're hoping Jim comes up with the answers, but rather we're just waiting for him to find them. Not so much a question of "if" but "when".

This is a luxury we weren't afforded with the two previous first-time head coaches, Nolan and Singletary. Those guys you really wanted to believe would figure it out, but kind of always knew it was more of a hope than an expectation. Harbaugh knows how to win as a coach and it's as much about his attitude as it is his acumen. We know he's a smart guy, but he's got the drive to make it all work and that's what will get this team over the hump.
Originally posted by Joecool:
How many timeouts were used prior to the snap? I think three. Harbaugh should have used timeouts when Dallas was going to tie the game at the end so that we would have about 13 seconds for a kickoff. Should have taken the 15 yard penalty.

Same old coaching mistakes. I hink the Yorks rub off on any coach who comes here.

I agree about the timeouts, even though it's better to use them than get the penalty, but disagree about the penalty. I know everyone is different about it, but i think taking the points is the smarter thing to do. So many things could have gone wrong if we didnt take it, it's just for the better to take the points and trust your defense to do their job. Looking back on it, knowing what we lost by... Yeah, it's easy to say we should have taken the penalty, but I really do think it's better to take the points instead of the yards.
to each their own though, like I said, everyone is going to be different on that.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I was only upset with the one decision by Harbaugh. But besides that, and the fact that we lost, everything else was about what I expected or much better.

Much better:
1) Alex Smith is making plays in this offense. "Making plays" meaning: Throwing off balance, throwing on the move, throwing with pressure.
2) Pass rush was fantastic. McDonald is a beast, Aldon Smith was a half step from a sack several times but Romo gets rid of the ball so darn quick. Brooks was good too, and Haralson wasn't too bad either. (Obviously, we all now JS is a beast).
3) Bowman is a player, he will be a very good player in this league, he is already a good player.
4) Play calling was pretty good. It's not the play callers fault that Smith doesn't throw deep. He doesn't have the moxie of a Cam Newton or Tony Romo. He likes to play it safe, that's just how he's wired.

What I expected:
1) Gore not getting going. At this point, teams are game planning for Gore 90% and game planning for Smith 10%. With more passing yards, we can take the pressure off of Gore. The pass sets up the run in the WCO. On one-on-one's Smith needs to go down field more. Give Vernon a chance to catch a jump ball.
2) Pass defense. Much of it was to the TE. We have a third string safety and a backup corner in their right now. Tony Romo might make mistakes, but he makes up for them with big plays. That is his MO.
3) O-line was able to give Smith some good time in the first half. Then their defense made adjustments and destroyed our play-action before it got started in the second half. Our half time adjustments need work. We need to get away from the roll outs and quick screens.

Need to get better:
1) We need a more aggressive mindset. If you get awarded a 15 yard penalty for a first down, you take it. 15 yards is a lot; time off the clock is important when you're ahead in the 4th quarter. If you're down by 10, with 11 min left, you take the 3 points, but if you're up by 7, you've got to take advantage of huge, momentum changing penalties. Expect to score a TD, burn some clock, go for the win. Prepare for the worst, but don't fear it.

It was a mind-blowing frustrating loss, but we're definitely much better.
We played a team that was insanely desperate for a win, we made a decision to give this starving animal a chance to come back, and they did. The Cowboys are a good team, and we had the lead throughout all of regulation.

People have already forgotten that we have a new system, new coach, no off-season etc, on top of all of that.

If we keep up this pass rush, we will beat every team with below average quarterbacks this season. That alone, should put us at 8-8.

This is a good summary! Thanks for saving me from repeating all those points.

At this point, JH is still getting used to the pro-game as well. Half time adjustments are sorely lacking - his staff/assistants need to be working on this ASAP. But JH also needs to work on getting the Offensive plays called quicker. They did it well against Seattle, but this week there were several times that TO and Delay of Games were caused by late play calling. I think JH is self aware and self critical -- he will get that fixed.
We are better, marginally. But that's to be expect with only 2 games.

Special teams is better: the Ginn run back, no muffed that I recalled, and the coverage have been pretty decent, Akers is a good replacement.

Offense: More disciplined, Smith is better, but over all the offense is about the same. One thing is different though but not sure why; we are getting a jump on team in scoring early in the first half, good signs.

Defense: The front 7 plays much better. The secondary has its moments but overall is bad.

In the words of Harbaugh: 'Work in progress'
It's easy to see we are allot better than last year. How many WTF moments did we have after the first two games last season? compared to this season? The players are just smarter all around. I forgot on which interception it was but the DB really wanted to take it out of the endzone but the other DB's came over and told him to take a f*ckin knee and preserve field position and posession over trying to make a play on a int return. That is the kind of football smarts this team has been lacking. You can see the same thing on the defensive side of the ball with players not taking cheap shots out of bounds to try and be "Fysical" but rather holding off to avoid a 15 yard penalty. Look at the great teams in the league and youll find players who know the rulebook in and out, and avoid making stupid penalties. Basically in years past we were a bad team because we got beat during the play and then beat ourselves with penalties and delays of games in between plays. Now at least one side of that equation is gone.

The team is coming allong slowly with the new schemes but they are learning it the RIGHT way. It'll be awhile before the playbook gets opened up because unlike previous coaching regimes who impliment a play in practice and then move on even if the players get it wrong, this coaching staff is emphazing perfecting each play. IMO our roster did increase the talent on it, unfortunately it was overated to begin with. For once the QB isnt the liability on the team, the line still needs work like it always has, our secondary still has back ups playing in 2-3 of the positions depending on the defensive package but still a huge upgrade with Rogers over Clements and Whitner over Mays/Goldson/Smith/Lewis or anyone else that is a SS candidate, the FB needs to get replaced with youth and athleticism, Gore should not longer be our bell cow (get hunter some touches for christs sake) and our receivers still need to step up (K. Williams needs more playing time ASAP).

Even with all that said, to me its obvious that this team is well coached but just handicapped with the limited amount of time the Coaches have gotten to spend with the players. These coaches didnt really have an offseason to evaluate who they like and dont like, and then find suitable replacements for the new schemes. Fans need to remember that while this team can remain competitive in the horrible NFC west, Harbs is building for the future and wont be panicking after a couple tough losses since he has been handicapped for this season from the start. This team is definitly getting better fundamentally, but it will take a year or two more to get the talent we need in the secondary, bring up a young QB, and get the depth we need at other key positions like OLB, WR, etc.. The key to fielding a good team now isnt only talent but its getting players who are smart enough to be coaches on the field too, it's starting to show that the overall football knowledge of the team is increasing, now its time to get some more talent in there.

Yes we are while the Rams and Seahawks are getting worse. Arizona is still the same team to me. We have a chance and that's all I need to know.

the penalties were hardly an issue? did you really just say that?

2 penalties were directly related to dallas tds. one could argue dumb penalties lost us the game.
Originally posted by 5280High:

unlike previous coaching regimes who impliment a play in practice and then move on even if the players get it wrong, this coaching staff is emphazing perfecting each play.

And the reason for them to do that was even more disheartening. It wasn't good for the defense because they already knew what the play would be run. And here I thought practices are for both offense and defense. Defense was the bomb and offense was just an ugly step child to be tolerated. WTF!
Originally posted by backontop:
We could be a lot better if Harbaugh would stop handcuffing the offense and open the damn playbook.

so... Harbaugh is handcuffing the offense. But its Harbaugh's offense... what do you mean? Are you suggesting that Harbaugh is misappropriating somebody elses high powered offense?

I'll take wins over passing yards and overtime losses over blowout losses anyday.
I think we're definitely getting better. I think we're just being impatient because we see FLASHES (1st half of both games) of how good this offense can be. Then we see how regressive (2nd halfs) the offense can be and it becomes frustrating.

If we can consistently attack the whole game...no one can beat us.
Share 49ersWebzone