LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

whats going on with the play calling?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • bors
  • Veteran
ya it sucks.this last lose hurt.just like the falcons n saints games.and the vikes the year before.hell tony romo is now the new jesus and we will have to here it all year.
i am like a lot you .grew up in the bay area during the 80s and 90s.we were the best. but those days are gone we move on with what we have.and any of you that that want to quit two games in can walk.
this is not madden.no reset.our guys like em or not are going to keep playing and we will win the west.

mark my words.if we dont make the play offs i will let the zone vote me a new login name.

go niners best in the west
Originally posted by bors:
ya it sucks.this last lose hurt.just like the falcons n saints games.and the vikes the year before.hell tony romo is now the new jesus and we will have to here it all year.
i am like a lot you .grew up in the bay area during the 80s and 90s.we were the best. but those days are gone we move on with what we have.and any of you that that want to quit two games in can walk.
this is not madden.no reset.our guys like em or not are going to keep playing and we will win the west.

mark my words.if we dont make the play offs i will let the zone vote me a new login name.

i nominate the name gape, cause thats whats going to happen to you if we dont make it....
Our oline is ph*cking up any chance of experimentation or attempts at anything.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In my opinion, we are nowhere near running enough misdirection or double-moves, etc.

I WANT TO SEE SLANT-AND-GO Routes. PLEASE. Run a couple slants. Get the CBs positioned to defend it. With eight in the box.. run a slant-and-go.. let Alex pump.. and watch the receiver just be GONE.. blazing wide open down the field. Alex has dropped the ball over the top of defenders to Vernon a million times, he can do it with other receivers too. TRY IT.

Please. Please. PLEASE make them pay for loading the box. We are calling next to NOTHING to do this. Either that or when we do the OL has failed to allow enough time to get the deep pass off.

good post, and we have the speed to execute it too, ala ginn and edwards. but in order to setup the slugo route you actually have to run slants first and run them often. as i said earlier in this thread, i only recall one slant yesterday.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
Originally posted by bors:

i nominate the name gape, cause thats whats going to happen to you if we dont make it....

dont care worth the risk bring on the orly owls and cool story bros.cause i put my pride on the line for this team.you can change it to chicken fluker for all i care
Barring the glaring lack of slants, I'm okay with the play calling on the offense for the reasons previously mentioned.

What I'm not okay with is our defensive play calling. I'm in danger of chewing an arm off if I see one more threatened stacked house blitz that fades into soft zone coverage. We do this on seemingly every damned play in the second half. Lame delayed blitzes may cost me a chewed off hand.

Clearly, we're trying to protect our vulnerable secondary by sending four and running (it's hard to telll on TV because you cannot see the secondary) what I take to be some sort of squishy zone. I think we all agree that this isn't working. It's the boy that called wolf syndrome, or as I called it last year the 3-4 with a 4-3 mindset. Nobody is going to take your blitz seriously if you don't send it frequently enough to maintain the credibility of the threat. Worse, showing that blitz will illicit a competent QB to audible out of a run play (our strength) and into a passing play (which we are weak at defending). This seems counter productive to me.

Personally, I'd like to see our cornerbacks move up and jam the opposing receivers, and I'd like to see us start blitzing erratically and aggressively like a good 3-4 D should. I'll concede that my attention has been fixated upon the front seven so I have been negligent at watching our CBs this season, so there's a good chance that I'm way off in my assessment. But this year's D looks and smells a lot like Manusky's weenie blitz/squishy zone 3-4 with a 4-3 mindset D.
I want to know why the heck VD isn't being used as a receiver.
Originally posted by backontop:

Because we picked a 6'3 1/2" 255 lb. TE who can run in the 4.37 / 4.38 range so he can stay in and block..... Just like we always have used him.
Its not the play calling, its the execution of the plays, thats the problem.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Because we picked a 6'3 1/2" 255 lb. TE who can run in the 4.37 / 4.38 range so he can stay in and block..... Just like we always have used him.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Dudes it's DWARE! the game plan was to keep blockers in because it's dware the best OLB i've seen since haley!
Originally posted by OptimusPrime52:
then why has cam newton who is a rookie thrown for 400yds 2 weeks in a row in the same offseason? its because he is passing the ball a hell of a lot more then only 22 times a game. he is benefiting from the playcalling. im still trying to figure out who exactly is benefiting from our playcalling because i dont see it.

Newton throws it up there to his receivers and lets them go make a play. Alex Smith doesn't.

Smith likes to check down. That's just the way he is. Newton is throwing some interceptions with his cavalier attitude, but he is also making plays. That's the way a lot of quarterbacks play. Tony Romo plays that way. These quarterbacks are willing to risk some interceptions if it means they will also make big plays.

Smith is playing VERY WELL. But the reason we don't throw down field as much as Cam, is because Cam is simply not afraid to. The Panthers offense is the same as it was last year, EXCEPT now they have a quarterback with great ability, and with an attitude of going for the big play.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Dudes it's DWARE! the game plan was to keep blockers in because it's dware the best OLB i've seen since haley!

so you bring in an extra lineman if you want to block ware, you can run a 2 te set and bring boone in as the 2nd te and then you send davis out on routes. that way you have the best of both worlds. but i will say it again, teams dont gameplan for davis`s blocking. they gameplan to cover him as a reciever. we just gave dallas one less thing to worry about, which was stupid because we were already without crabs and edwards. lets just make it easy on teams why dont we?
[ Edited by OptimusPrime52 on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone