There are 246 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Justin Smith, the best 3-4 DE in the NFL appreciation thread

  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,967
Originally posted by KegBert:
Justin's do for a massive game.

Can't wait to see him put a few Giant O-lineman on there butts en route to that fairy Eli.

Yeah, I'm starting him DL in my IDP fantasy league. Get emem Cowboy!
Originally posted by Chief:
Link

New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride accused 49ers defensive tackle Justin Smith of using illegal tactics in becoming such a pest to the Giants and other clubs.

"Smith is a beast on the inside, he's strong, he does as good a job of grabbing a hold of offensive linemen and allowing those twists to take place," Gilbride told New York media in a transcript provided by the Giants.

"He never gets called for it so he gets away with murder.

"That, in conjunction with the ability level they have, makes them as formidable as anybody we go against, and we go against some pretty good ones in Dallas' and Philadelphia's."

Smith sacked Eli Manning on the Giants' penultimate possession in the NFC Championship game, and Smith batted down a fourth-down pass to preserve a 49ers' regular-season win over the Giants.

Smith is consistently drawing double teams this season, and although he doesn't have any sacks, he has a team-high 27 quarterback pressures.

"There's nothing wrong with him. He's still applying good pressure," 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said. "Teams have thrown the ball quickly on us at times.

"I haven't felt during any of the games like, 'damn, where's our pass rush?' And until I feel that then we don't have a problem."


First of all, how the hell would it help Justin to hold an O-lineman? Seems like it would make his job even harder in tackling or pass-rushing. Would it more easily free up other defenders to make plays?
Possibly, but still doesn't make a whole lotta sense because I think a 5-technique DL like Justin would do all he can to beat the OL's attempts to block him.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
First of all, how the hell would it help Justin to hold an O-lineman? Seems like it would make his job even harder in tackling or pass-rushing. Would it more easily free up other defenders to make plays?
Possibly, but still doesn't make a whole lotta sense because I think a 5-technique DL like Justin would do all he can to beat the OL's attempts to block him.

Yeah I think Gilbride was saying he does it on the stunt plays to free up the olb (usually Aldon) to get to the qb. It happens all the time and never gets called, Gilbride is just whining though, putting excuses out ahead of time in case they have trouble with the pass rush. His whining could backfire if the officials pay real close attention and notice the fact that Cowboy gets held almost every play, even when doubleteamed. The only defensive linemen even close to his skillset are Chris Long and JJ Watt.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Justin's do for a massive game.

Can't wait to see him put a few Giant O-lineman on there butts en route to that fairy Eli.

Yeah, I'm starting him DL in my IDP fantasy league. Get emem Cowboy!

well he does lead the team in qb rushes

just cause he hasnt had a sack doesnt mean hes not habing massive games
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,967
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
well he does lead the team in qb rushes

just cause he hasnt had a sack doesnt mean hes not habing massive games

Our sack total is down all over the field but our pass defense has improved greatly, lol... explain that one.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
well he does lead the team in qb rushes

just cause he hasnt had a sack doesnt mean hes not habing massive games

Our sack total is down all over the field but our pass defense has improved greatly, lol... explain that one.

It is down for JS and McDonald (.5 total) but not for the LBers. Brooks has 4 (7 total last season) and Aldon has 7.5. That said, their TFL's are up (essentially a sack) and Brooks alone could have 10 if he could finish and on a few of his "tackles" the QB gained a yard or so (pseudo-sacks). So the point is, they are getting pressure...getting their numbers but really, they aren't getting the hits, pressures and finishing with sacks on a consistent basis. We made a late season push last year so perhaps the front 7 will go on a tear during the second half this season as well. Bowman has a couple sacks and Willis has none but they have been getting lots of pressures/hits when they are released so that's encouraging as well. Come on second half push!
This is how a man does work.




  • Axl49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,354
IDK about you guys but it seemed after Justin Left the game injured that our d just was not the same especially our pass rush. I keep telling my friend he is the best DL in the game since he anchors the number one d in the league and hate to say it but Aldon is great becuase of Justin. What do you guys think or did our D just get tired towards the end of the game against Pats.
Originally posted by Axl49:
IDK about you guys but it seemed after Justin Left the game injured that our d just was not the same especially our pass rush. I keep telling my friend he is the best DL in the game since he anchors the number one d in the league and hate to say it but Aldon is great becuase of Justin. What do you guys think or did our D just get tired towards the end of the game against Pats.

We also played a diferent type of D when he was out for a while. Which accounts for most of it. When we got back to our basics we knocked Brady around with a couple sacks and some good pressure. Cowboy is important for sure, but I disagree that he is "the" reason.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,354
Originally posted by Igotta:
We also played a diferent type of D when he was out for a while. Which accounts for most of it. When we got back to our basics we knocked Brady around with a couple sacks and some good pressure. Cowboy is important for sure, but I disagree that he is "the" reason.

Who is in your opinion. Not arguing just wanna see what you guys think. I really believe Justin is. Since he been hear and Willis Justin has helped the second levels of the D immensely. Aldon got pushed around out there after Justin left.
While I agree he is the key to our defense, I was quite impressed with the consistent pressure RJF was getting there at the end. Maybe their line was tired, but RJF was in Brady's face more than Aldon down the stretch.
Justin going down was a huge reason, but offense still likes to play that disappearing act and it nearly cost us. The D got tired because they were constantly on the field. I think we need a healthy Justin Smith if we're going to make any kind of run at #6.
Originally posted by Igotta:
Originally posted by Axl49:
IDK about you guys but it seemed after Justin Left the game injured that our d just was not the same especially our pass rush. I keep telling my friend he is the best DL in the game since he anchors the number one d in the league and hate to say it but Aldon is great becuase of Justin. What do you guys think or did our D just get tired towards the end of the game against Pats.

We also played a diferent type of D when he was out for a while. Which accounts for most of it. When we got back to our basics we knocked Brady around with a couple sacks and some good pressure. Cowboy is important for sure, but I disagree that he is "the" reason.

There's no denying with have a lot of great players, but if I had to pick the one single guy who I don't want getting hurt, Justin Smith is that guy.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,354
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
Originally posted by Igotta:
Originally posted by Axl49:
IDK about you guys but it seemed after Justin Left the game injured that our d just was not the same especially our pass rush. I keep telling my friend he is the best DL in the game since he anchors the number one d in the league and hate to say it but Aldon is great becuase of Justin. What do you guys think or did our D just get tired towards the end of the game against Pats.

We also played a diferent type of D when he was out for a while. Which accounts for most of it. When we got back to our basics we knocked Brady around with a couple sacks and some good pressure. Cowboy is important for sure, but I disagree that he is "the" reason.

There's no denying with have a lot of great players, but if I had to pick the one single guy who I don't want getting hurt, Justin Smith is that guy.
Exactly Willis got hurt and as much as I love him our d still looked good last year. Justin goes down this game and we get murdered out there. Aldon got pushed around and doubled and could not beat it. We need Justin healthy. In the playoffs last year he had one of the best runs ever I have ever seen in history. He was making plays left and right when they needed it the most. Those bull rushes against the saints and Giants in overtime were INSANE.
The Pats had already scored 14 unanswered when Justin left. The comeback was already going on.