LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Micheal Crabtree missed in the endzone...fact or fiction? State your case here

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Creating this thread now since this play has been so hottly debated over. Most of you know my background in playing college football as a Db as well as continuing to coach. I will break down this specific play as simply as possible and show whether he just missed Crabs and blew it or did his job. So state your case here, make your opinion known and wgy you think what you do. Have already gone through other threads and seen the haters and the lovers being unrealistic. Please keep it logic and to real football in here.
Crabtree was open, Alex would have had to hold the ball a little but longer but Clemons was closing in on him and it could have been a sack instead.
On the replay I thought it clearly showed that Alex threw the dump off before Crabtree became as completely open as he did a full second later.
I didn't get to watch the game :( but from what I'm gathering, He was open after Alex already passed him on the progression.

Isn't this the pass that he ended up hitting Vernon for 27 yards?
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I didn't get to watch the game :( but from what I'm gathering, He was open after Alex already passed him on the progression.

Isn't this the pass that he ended up hitting Vernon for 27 yards?

no
This thread needs to exist like malnourished babies need a good punching from boast.
Originally posted by boooby:
On the replay I thought it clearly showed that Alex threw the dump off before Crabtree became as completely open as he did a full second later.

This. When the ball was thrown, Crabs hadn't entered the screen yet on the replay.
who cares we won
just tell us the answer or I'll have boast punch redrathman's malnourished baby
I watched that replay and Crabtree didn't come open until Alex had already let the ball go to Gore on the checkdown.

• obx49
  • Veteran
nvchamp and I were debating this issue last night. I don't think this issue will get resolved until we see that highlight. I looked all over for it last night and couldn't find it, so if anyone has the highlight of that particular play please post it.
Crabtree got open after Alex was ready to throw the ball. Had Frank been on the move towards the endzone instead of standing in place it would've been a TD. I notice that our guys don't move into open areas of the field. Plus there was pressure up the middle and the right side. Alex could've stepped up a little held the ball a little longer and made the throw but the clock in his head told him to get rid of it as soon as he saw the pressure.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by boooby:

This. When the ball was thrown, Crabs hadn't entered the screen yet on the replay.

Isn't that when The QB should throw the ball to the spot instead of the reciever? Im not sure, just asking?
you know, if i am remembering this right, alex went through his reads before being flushed to the right (clemons closing in). looks like crabs may have been open, but alex would have to have thrown across his body if he went to crabs. and like val said, it could have been a sack, or worse an INT-cuz we all know throwing across your body can get ugly real fast.
How can any of us make a claim when there was only one camera angle? How many challenged plays looked like a closed case until you saw if from a diffrent angle?
Share 49ersWebzone