LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

QBR watch (week 2) **updated**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really like guys like 49ersallday and Memphis as posters, and I consider them very knowledgable, more so than me. And I dont mean to be disrespectful......

BUT,

Their defense of Smith absolutly makes me crazy. The game plan that Smith ran yesterday could have easily been executed by any decent NFL QB. If he was an investment he would be described as low risk/ low reward. If guys like Brady and Brees are Apple stock (shot out to Tico), Alex Smith is a savings account or a bank CD. In fact, that defines his whole career.

Yesterday's performance was ok, but nothing to write home about. And regardless of what the QBR stat says, that was not a top ten performance. I believe that a number of guys on that list would of had a better QBR given the exact same game plan. Of course, that is just my humble opinion. Harbaugh clearly designed a game plan that would insulate Alex from failure. Low risk/ low reward, of which Alex is the master.

I'm just curious, how many people on the Zone actually watch other teams play? Because a lot of throws that the zone seems to get excited about are pretty standard around the rest of the league.

Thanks for the shout out Oak, I always like to read your posts too. As far as Smith goes, I only defend him when people start in with ridiculous b******t. I think he played okay, but I could have probably executed 90% of that game plan. People, especially the hardcore detractors think I love Smith no matter what he does, but when he makes a bonehead play, I get just as pissed as anyone else. I think the difference is that I understand football and its nuances a little better than someone that is just a casual fan, so I notice things like cut off routes and read progressions. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about Smith, and I have no problem with anyone doing so. But when someone is blaming him for problems he is not causing, I am not afraid to speak up. We have a few guys on this site that obviously have no idea what has to happen in order for a play to be successful, they see a pass not go to the receiver and instead of recognizing that the receiver ran the wrong route, it is automatically the qbs fault. A prime example is the play where Crabtree was open in the back left of the endzone, sure he was open, but you can very clearly see Smith had already passed him in his read progression. Did he go through his progression too fast? Possibly, but I cannot say for sure. In my opinion Smith played a smart, safe game, made three very good throws and didn't make any WTF plays, nothing spectacular other than this three throws. He did nothing to be crying about like some of our guys are doing.

I am an unabashed Niner homer, have been since I was nine. I root for every guy that wears the Red & Gold, and I get upset when I feel someone is unfairly doggin one of my boys, whatever name is on his jersey. I don't like people crappin on Crabtree or Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Gore or anyone else that is a niner. I have a low tolerance for dumbassery, especially when it involves bashing our players. I am one of The Faithful, and I am proud of it.

HEEEEYYYY!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Memphis and just like he said, "I am one of The Faithful, and I am proud of it". The faith is unwavering and BLIND.
Originally posted by ninertico:
HEEEEYYYY!!!

Sorry no sacks for Aldon Tico, better luck next game.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
That is ridiculous. Smith is a 7 year vet. He is not a young college QB that left school his junior year. If Harbaugh was so unsure about his abilities, he should have played Smith for most of the preseason. As a coach, if you cant trust your starting QB (7 year vet) to throw on 3 and 8, that QB has no business starting a game. If Harbaugh was so worried for Smith, why didn't call a play was familiar with, something he has learned in his last SIX years of NFL football.

But what has Smith learned in six years of NFL football? He was thrown to the sharks right away, never had anyone to teach him more than one year at a time and hasn't had anyone who remotely understands the QB position or modern passing in 5 years (sans Martz who hated him). Smith may not be a 21 year old kid anymore, but he never progressed past that point either.

Harbaugh is bringing this offense along the way it should have been six years ago, the way a rookie should be taught to run an offense. Who cares that Smith is in his seventh season, better late than never.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I have never bashed the espn qbr system. I'm a supporter. Whatever stat Smith gets there, he gets and I support. Right now, he ranks high. I hope he stays there. The best predictor of the future is the past, and the past indicates he will not stay there. It has become apparent, however, that the new espn qbr rating system does not take into account yards per pass, or if it does, it gives it very little formula weight, either of which is surprising.

The best predictor of the future is the past...when the variables stay the same. The variables are different now. Look at guys that have been in the same system, with the same coaches, with a same core of players, they're successful. Yes, the past could also indicate that Smith might fail because of yet another coaching staff and system, but it's more of an unknown than a predictor of failure.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
can we discuss Smith vs. Couch here? The other thread on this topic got promptly locked.

Alex's career highlights (as compared to Tim Couch, who also played 6 years in the NFL)

* 72.1 career passer rating (Tim Couch = 75.1)
* 20 wins, 33 losses (Tim Couch = 22 wins, 37 losses)
* 54 TDs, 57 INT's (Tim Couch's = 64TDs, 67 INT's)
* Yards/pass 6.2 (Tim Couch = 6.5)
* Yards 9,523 (Tim Couch = 11,131)
good post shaj, thanks for the stats
^The thread is open, Shaj.
can we discuss Smith vs. Couch here? The other thread on this topic got promptly locked.

Alex's career highlights (as compared to Tim Couch, who also played 6 years in the NFL)

How is this relevant? That is why that stupid thread got locked, it has nothing to do with anything. You just need your daily fix of Smith bashing, you are transparent, I see right through you. I see obsession that rivals Ceadderman going on here, it is time to just let it go, what you are doing is unhealthy for you.
Originally posted by nannite:
But what has Smith learned in six years of NFL football? He was thrown to the sharks right away, never had anyone to teach him more than one year at a time and hasn't had anyone who remotely understands the QB position or modern passing in 5 years (sans Martz who hated him). Smith may not be a 21 year old kid anymore, but he never progressed past that point either.

Harbaugh is bringing this offense along the way it should have been six years ago, the way a rookie should be taught to run an offense. Who cares that Smith is in his seventh season, better late than never.

Well, i know a rookie that threw for 410 yards on Sunday- your argument is invalid
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
You should push down each weeks ratings so we can look back to see the progression of the season by each quarterback.

Week etc.
Week 4
Week 3
Week 2
Week 1
...if you get what I'm saying.

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
point is that the WCO is being used to justify Smith's dink and dunk passing last Sunday, yet a great example of a modern day WCO from the Walsh coaching tree debunks that "excuse" completely.

how many years has Vick been in that Philly system? and how many years has Philly run that system?

Smiths dinks and dunks need no excuses or blame or anything. He took what he could, followed the gameplan, protected the ball, we got the win. Now lets get ready for Dallas.

None of that stuff matters. A QB is supposed to come right out of college and throw for 30 TDs a season.

Calendar check: Smith was selected in 2005. It is now 2011.

Tom Brady had his first 30+ TD season at age 30, his 8th season in the league. He has only thrown for 30 TD's twice in his career. Just sayin'.
Thanks for the shout out Oak, I always like to read your posts too. As far as Smith goes, I only defend him when people start in with ridiculous b******t. I think he played okay, but I could have probably executed 90% of that game plan. People, especially the hardcore detractors think I love Smith no matter what he does, but when he makes a bonehead play, I get just as pissed as anyone else. I think the difference is that I understand football and its nuances a little better than someone that is just a casual fan, so I notice things like cut off routes and read progressions. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about Smith, and I have no problem with anyone doing so. But when someone is blaming him for problems he is not causing, I am not afraid to speak up. We have a few guys on this site that obviously have no idea what has to happen in order for a play to be successful, they see a pass not go to the receiver and instead of recognizing that the receiver ran the wrong route, it is automatically the qbs fault. A prime example is the play where Crabtree was open in the back left of the endzone, sure he was open, but you can very clearly see Smith had already passed him in his read progression. Did he go through his progression too fast? Possibly, but I cannot say for sure. In my opinion Smith played a smart, safe game, made three very good throws and didn't make any WTF plays, nothing spectacular other than this three throws. He did nothing to be crying about like some of our guys are doing.

I am an unabashed Niner homer, have been since I was nine. I root for every guy that wears the Red & Gold, and I get upset when I feel someone is unfairly doggin one of my boys, whatever name is on his jersey. I don't like people crappin on Crabtree or Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Gore or anyone else that is a niner. I have a low tolerance for dumbassery, especially when it involves bashing our players. I am one of The Faithful, and I am proud of it.
Great post.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

How is this relevant? That is why that stupid thread got locked, it has nothing to do with anything. You just need your daily fix of Smith bashing, you are transparent, I see right through you. I see obsession that rivals Ceadderman going on here, it is time to just let it go, what you are doing is unhealthy for you.

the thread got opened back up, please ignore my corresponding posts here.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Great post.

Honestly, I can't disagree. I think we are on the same page. I'm probably a little center left, to your center right, but we'll both be pulling for him this year!!!

Shaj..... (at least on this topic)
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Great post.
Yeah, it is.
Share 49ersWebzone