LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

QBR watch (week 2) **updated**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
3,200 yards a year, 65% completion rate. 30 tds, 15 int's. And those results need to be CONSISTENT. Not taking a s**t on the field when we play good teams and racking it up against bad teams and during garbage time.

Something like that and I'm happy.

You do realize that in 2010 only 5 NFL QB's threw for 30 TD's? Among those who didn't: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
there's always an excuse for why other QBs play better than Smith. the option of last resort is to actually admit that Smith is bottom third QB in the NFL.

sorry but since when is playing and learning the same offense for multiple years an excuse its a football fact that in order to be a great qb you have to learn the same offense in and out

harbaugh said so
steve young said so
joe montana said so

so who knows more shaj or those 3?

Just in the last week, Sando, Rice, and Eric Davis all bashed Smith.. You guys saw the quotes. Tit for tat is for the birds, but I can play that game. It means nothing. And you guys want to talk about who wins games because we won yesterday, Smith is 20 - 33 in his career.

Oh wait, all those other guys were quarterbacks. Oh f**k!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I'm elated with the win, and you don't hear me complaining about the D or ST, so this is not a universal b***hing session on my part. I'm in year 7 of my crucade against cancer at the qb position however.

What is a good enough performance for you then?

3,200 yards a year, 65% completion rate. 30 tds, 15 int's. And those results need to be CONSISTENT. Not taking a s**t on the field when we play good teams and racking it up against bad teams and during garbage time.

I guess you must have been disappointed with Montana then since it took him like 8 seasons to hit 30 TDs.

montanexcuses

30 TDs/season is no easy feat. Not even the "elites" do it consistently. It's tough to do. Frankly, you DONT NEED to. Montana had 30+ TD ONE TIME his entire career (career high of 31). Marino had 30+ TDs 5 times (career high 48).

Stats are important but not everything.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I'm elated with the win, and you don't hear me complaining about the D or ST, so this is not a universal b***hing session on my part. I'm in year 7 of my crucade against cancer at the qb position however.

What is a good enough performance for you then?

the only people who put up numbers like that have been in the same offensive system for more than 3 years

Brady Rivers Manning Rodgers etc

in order to have those numbersyou have to get comfortable and learn the system

and this qbr system youre bashing because alex is 10 doesnt include garbage time stats

What about Matt Cassel? In his first year with the cheifs he put up 3,200 yards, 27 tds, and 7 ints. Thats pretty good for a first year full time starter and first year in a newem. Are you going to say Charlie Weiss is that much better then Norv Turner or Mike Martz? Maybe Todd Haley is a beast and thats why Cassel suceeded.

It couldn't possibly be that Matt Cassell is a good QB could it?

charlie weis runs the same system as the patriots if im not mistaken he even coached uner billichek

Weiss coached in NE until 2004.
Not sure if Haley runs the same O as Belichek.

And also Cassell was in his second year not his first when he put up those stats. You guys are quicker then editing! I miss that preview function...

there's always an excuse for why other QBs play better than Smith. the option of last resort is to actually admit that Smith is bottom third QB in the NFL.

I gotta hand it to you dude. You are relentless

it ain't easy being green. plus it's hard getting work done with all this rebuttal business. I'm new most hated person in the zone!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
The hating on Smith is ridiculous. His low yardage wasn't because he played super conservative, it's because the playcalling was super conservative. Even Harbaugh admitted it was because we had a 16 point lead.

that lead didn't happen until the very end. Also, I suspect it was not the game plan that was conservative, but rather Smith's execution of it. 33% of his throws were for 2 yards or less. I seriously doubt that was Harbaugh's game plan going in. That would go over like a lead balloon with his staff, not to mention the players. Smith chickened out on most throws and checked down to RBs and WR's near the line of scrimmage as a frequently used safety valve.

33% = 5
You like to complain about percentages being used to reflect a number larger than the actual, yet here you are doing the same damn thing.

wtf? I have no issues with %'s. OK, 5/15 passes were for TWO yards or less. Happy?

You made the point in the Lot a while back, you know, the Lot, where you do provide some insight along with your entertaining threads. Every time you come talk football you seem to lose your head. It is bazaar really.

It's only "bazaar" because my standards are way above that of most posters. It doesn't mean I'm better than anyone or that I think I'm better than anyone. Seriously, I think I lose years off my life posting here. I don't understand why fans are so easily satisfied with below average performances so long as we get a win. f**k that. Alex is a #1 overall draft pick and he's had a Tim Couch career so far, and somehow you guys are good with that. He needs to be lighting things up, playing like a top 5 or at least top 10 QB. He also needs to be held accountable, something which people here aren't willing to do, for reasons I don't understand.
It's comments like these that just blow my mind and make me want to scream. Standards? What standards homie...this isnt the 90's anymore.....the Niners havent had a winning season since 2002. We finally have a coach that at least resembles a little bit of what we had during the glory years and you're standards are already Super Bowl or bust, C'mon man. I have been an Alex critic for as long as everyone else on this forum but guess what...it is what it is. It's a new season, we won and thats all that matters. Would we like to see more? No doubt, but its going to take time, A new offense, new defense...c'mon in 4 weeks? Stop dreaming..Its week 1 for crying out loud. You want a QB that throws for 300 yards why dont you cheer for Tony Romo and the Cowgirls next Sunday. I'm sorry but I'll take Alex Smith's 125 yards and zero turnovers + a win over Romo's 300+ yards and the 2 turnovers that cost them the game last night! One more thing, I guarantee you that you wont hear me or anyone else complain if the Niners beat the Cowboys the exact same way they beat the Seahawks. At the end of the day the only stats that matter are the W's on the win column.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PWilly52:
The hating on Smith is ridiculous. His low yardage wasn't because he played super conservative, it's because the playcalling was super conservative. Even Harbaugh admitted it was because we had a 16 point lead.

that lead didn't happen until the very end. Also, I suspect it was not the game plan that was conservative, but rather Smith's execution of it. 33% of his throws were for 2 yards or less. I seriously doubt that was Harbaugh's game plan going in. That would go over like a lead balloon with his staff, not to mention the players. Smith chickened out on most throws and checked down to RBs and WR's near the line of scrimmage as a frequently used safety valve.

33% = 5
You like to complain about percentages being used to reflect a number larger than the actual, yet here you are doing the same damn thing.

wtf? I have no issues with %'s. OK, 5/15 passes were for TWO yards or less. Happy?

You made the point in the Lot a while back, you know, the Lot, where you do provide some insight along with your entertaining threads. Every time you come talk football you seem to lose your head. It is bazaar really.

It's only "bazaar" because my standards are way above that of most posters. It doesn't mean I'm better than anyone or that I think I'm better than anyone. Seriously, I think I lose years off my life posting here. I don't understand why fans are so easily satisfied with below average performances so long as we get a win. f**k that. Alex is a #1 overall draft pick and he's had a Tim Couch career so far, and somehow you guys are good with that. He needs to be lighting things up, playing like a top 5 or at least top 10 QB. He also needs to be held accountable, something which people here aren't willing to do, for reasons I don't understand.
It's comments like these that just blow my mind and make me want to scream. Standards? What standards homie...this isnt the 90's anymore.....the Niners havent had a winning season since 2002. We finally have a coach that at least resembles a little bit of what we had during the glory years and you're standards are already Super Bowl or bust, C'mon man. I have been an Alex critic for as long as everyone else on this forum but guess what...it is what it is. It's a new season, we won and thats all that matters. Would we like to see more? No doubt, but its going to take time, A new offense, new defense...c'mon in 4 weeks? Stop dreaming..Its week 1 for crying out loud. You want a QB that throws for 300 yards why dont you cheer for Tony Romo and the Cowgirls next Sunday. I'm sorry but I'll take Alex Smith's 125 yards and zero turnovers + a win over Romo's 300+ yards and the 2 turnovers that cost them the game last night! One more thing, I guarantee you that you wont hear me or anyone else complain if the Niners beat the Cowboys the exact same way they beat the Seahawks. At the end of the day the only stats that matter are the W's on the win column.

well, the Ravens won the SB with a QB who has about as much talent and skills as Smith. If that happened to us in that manner, I'd be as happy as a clam with the SB win, but I really don't think that a "just don't lose the game for us" QB and a Defense and Special Teams that puts the team on their back to pull the win is really the recipe for NFL success. What the Ravens did is really more of an abberation. I certainly don't believe we can win any more games with 124 yards passing and 0 passing TDs and 33% of the passes at 2 yards or less.
Originally posted by PWilly52:

33% = 5

LOL. So true.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by ace130:
Lol Alex had one of the worst QB performance on the list. 124 yards 0tds low yards per catch. Every pass was a checkdown. If it wasnt for ginn we could of lossed

"could have lossed?"

Originally posted by dbdublin:

You do realize that in 2010 only 5 NFL QB's threw for 30 TD's? Among those who didn't: Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman.
Dude WTF? Logic and reason has no place here! Now GTFO!!
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really like guys like 49ersallday and Memphis as posters, and I consider them very knowledgable, more so than me. And I dont mean to be disrespectful......

BUT,

Their defense of Smith absolutly makes me crazy. The game plan that Smith ran yesterday could have easily been executed by any decent NFL QB. If he was an investment he would be described as low risk/ low reward. If guys like Brady and Brees are Apple stock (shot out to Tico), Alex Smith is a savings account or a bank CD. In fact, that defines his whole career.

Yesterday's performance was ok, but nothing to write home about. And regardless of what the QBR stat says, that was not a top ten performance. I believe that a number of guys on that list would of had a better QBR given the exact same game plan. Of course, that is just my humble opinion. Harbaugh clearly designed a game plan that would insulate Alex from failure. Low risk/ low reward, of which Alex is the master.

I'm just curious, how many people on the Zone actually watch other teams play? Because a lot of throws that the zone seems to get excited about are pretty standard around the rest of the league.

i will ask do you watch other games? how many recievers make catches that niner recievers drop or worse pop up in the air? just tonight watching brady throw what shaj and every other "alex hater" would call a bad pass/no guts checkdown/panicky pass to the TE in the flat that he had to stretch for and only got 2 yards. and is regarde as a good play. what did chad JOHNSON do tonight?

also many of those passes are on teams that are not having a lot of turnover. smith has had almost no time with his WRs to work on timing and the west coast offense might as well be the timing based offense. and people who understand that are going to be more lienant(?) on the offense than someone who just looks att he 1988 49ers or 1994

I dont understand the hate on alex this game. i can understand the frustration building over the years, but this year he is the best we have.

In this game with what opportunities he was given he had a solid game and played with pride. that run block for gore, his run into the endzone,.....say what you want, but the kid wanted to win and did everything he could with the opportunities given. I hope for the benefit of the team that he continues to do so.
Since Bill Walsh installed the WCO offence cirtics have allway dimished it as a dink and dunk offence. With a lot of checkdowns, few deep vertical passes, a disgrace to football.
Well all these years we've been trying to play a vertical passing game with little success, Alex did not look good, a lot of INTs, people were dissastisfied and actually were happy with Shaun Hill who was dinking and dunking it.

Now Smith dinks and dunks it in a game were most of the routes that were open were checkdowns, he actually completes 75% of these passes and people b***h about it, not to forget the knack on Smith was that he's shows no touch on checkdowns. Now when he does again it's not right.

It is as it is Smith is the Qb for 2011, and people could start supporting the team and not just b***h about it.
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:50 AM ]
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Since Bill Walsh installed the WCO offence cirtics have allway dimished it as a dink and dunk offence. With a lot of checkdowns, few deep vertical passes, a disgrace to football.
Well all these years we've been trying to play a vertical passing game with little success, Alex did not look good, a lot of INTs, people were dissastisfied and actually were happy with Shaun Hill who was dinking and dunking it.

Now Smith dinks and dunks it in a game were most of the routes that were open were checkdowns, he actually completes 75% of these passes and people b***h about it, not to forget the knack on Smith was that he's shows no touch on checkdowns. Now when he does again it's not right.

It is as it is Smith is the Qb for 2011, and people could start supporting the team and not just b***h about it.

LOL. It's true. This offense is a lot of short checkdowns. And Alex was accurate on them. It's what they asked him to do. In addition he ran one in and didn't turn the ball over. Also a high completion percentage. And lets not forget a W. I don't think his game was as bad as made out to be. I would take that performence every week.
Also Brady threw a 99 TD pass to Welker in fact a 1 yd checkdown pass, I guess thats also terrible
All the 3-4 yard slants that th eniners used in the glory day, terrible, 3 yards deep
[ Edited by JeuSF49 on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM ]
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Also Brady threw a 99 TD pass to Welker in fact a 1 yd checkdown pass, I guess thats also terrible
All the 3-4 yard slants that th eniners used in the glory day, terrible, 3 yards deep

The Patriots have 1 yard checkdowns but they have fast guys with YAC.....
Share 49ersWebzone