There are 244 users in the forums

QBR watch (week 2) **updated**

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by Shaj:
I'm elated with the win, and you don't hear me complaining about the D or ST, so this is not a universal b***hing session on my part. I'm in year 7 of my crucade against cancer at the qb position however.

What is a good enough performance for you then?

3,200 yards a year, 65% completion rate. 30 tds, 15 int's. And those results need to be CONSISTENT. Not taking a s**t on the field when we play good teams and racking it up against bad teams and during garbage time.

Something like that and I'm happy.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
The hating on Smith is ridiculous. His low yardage wasn't because he played super conservative, it's because the playcalling was super conservative. Even Harbaugh admitted it was because we had a 16 point lead.

that lead didn't happen until the very end. Also, I suspect it was not the game plan that was conservative, but rather Smith's execution of it. 33% of his throws were for 2 yards or less. I seriously doubt that was Harbaugh's game plan going in. That would go over like a lead balloon with his staff, not to mention the players. Smith chickened out on most throws and checked down to RBs and WR's near the line of scrimmage as a frequently used safety valve.

33% = 5
You like to complain about percentages being used to reflect a number larger than the actual, yet here you are doing the same damn thing.

wtf? I have no issues with %'s. OK, 5/15 passes were for TWO yards or less. Happy?

You made the point in the Lot a while back, you know, the Lot, where you do provide some insight along with your entertaining threads. Every time you come talk football you seem to lose your head. It is bazaar really.

It's only "bazaar" because my standards are way above that of most posters. It doesn't mean I'm better than anyone or that I think I'm better than anyone. Seriously, I think I lose years off my life posting here. I don't understand why fans are so easily satisfied with below average performances so long as we get a win. f**k that. Alex is a #1 overall draft pick and he's had a Tim Couch career so far, and somehow you guys are good with that. He needs to be lighting things up, playing like a top 5 or at least top 10 QB. He also needs to be held accountable, something which people here aren't willing to do, for reasons I don't understand.

Is 124 yards good enough to beat the Cowboys next week? Probably not, but that game hasn't happened yet. The 49ers won the first game of the season, and the b***hing co menses because the stats weren't lofty enough. f**king stupid. Could we lose next week? Sure, lofty expectations for this season are foolish considering the many circumstances working against this team. There will be growing pains and improvements, but the spoiled brat b***hing will go on no matter what until the next Super Bowl. It is ridiculous.

Is Alex a great QB? No, but he is currently the best we have. Enjoy the wins as they come, that IS the point of the game, after all.

I'm elated with the win, and you don't hear me complaining about the D or ST, so this is not a universal b***hing session on my part. I'm in year 7 of my crucade against cancer at the qb position however.

Not that he deserves bashing, but Gore's mere 59 yards failing to hit your radar shows how you don't take the whole team's performance into account. You have become a troll, and you do nothing but spam on this forum. Your crusade is merely a vehicle to irritate.
Originally posted by buck:
communist, here is a source. I hope it provides the information you want.

Love your handle, by the way, although I will acknowledge that I am not sure what it means to you.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

I think he is here to educate the capitalist pigs of this forum in the glorious doctrine of the party. It was singletards strong leadership that drew him to this team.
its hilarious that in one of the other Alex Smith threads, people were railing against Smith and his "normal QBR" by saying that the ESPN Total QBR showed that Alex was garbage. But when Alex has a performance that puts him in the top half of the league of week one performances based on the ESPN Total QBR, its STILL not good enough.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Not that he deserves bashing, but Gore's mere 59 yards failing to hit your radar shows how you don't take the whole team's performance into account. You have become a troll, and you do nothing but spam on this forum. Your crusade is merely a vehicle to irritate.

3,200 yards a year, 65% completion rate. 30 tds, 15 int's. And those results need to be CONSISTENT. Not taking a s**t on the field when we play good teams and racking it up against bad teams and during garbage time.

the only people who put up numbers like that have been in the same offensive system for more than 3 years

Brady Rivers Manning Rodgers etc

in order to have those numbersyou have to get comfortable and learn the system

and this qbr system youre bashing because alex is 10 doesnt include garbage time stats
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its hilarious that in one of the other Alex Smith threads, people were railing against Smith and his "normal QBR" by saying that the ESPN Total QBR showed that Alex was garbage. But when Alex has a performance that puts him in the top half of the league of week one performances based on the ESPN Total QBR, its STILL not good enough.

I wouldn't obsess about any rating system for 1 game. Over the course of the year the numbers will reflect just how well a quarterback plays.

20 attempts, 124 yards. 80 yards rushing. That's a game were the quarterback and offense doesn't have to do much work to win the game. It'd be great to see the defense holding every team to 1 1st down in the 1st half but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

the only people who put up numbers like that have been in the same offensive system for more than 3 years

and this qbr system youre bashing because alex is 10 doesnt include garbage time stats

I have never bashed the espn qbr system. I'm a supporter. Whatever stat Smith gets there, he gets and I support. Right now, he ranks high. I hope he stays there. The best predictor of the future is the past, and the past indicates he will not stay there. It has become apparent, however, that the new espn qbr rating system does not take into account yards per pass, or if it does, it gives it very little formula weight, either of which is surprising.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I wouldn't obsess about any rating system for 1 game. Over the course of the year the numbers will reflect just how well a quarterback plays.

20 attempts, 124 yards. 80 yards rushing. That's a game were the quarterback and offense doesn't have to do much work to win the game. It'd be great to see the defense holding every team to 1 1st down in the 1st half but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case.

oh, i agree. the only thing to take away from this game, in terms of Smith, is that he played very efficiently and helped us to a win. On to the Cowboys.
The hating on Smith is ridiculous. His low yardage wasn't because he played super conservative, it's because the playcalling was super conservative. Even Harbaugh admitted it was because we had a 16 point lead.

that lead didn't happen until the very end. Also, I suspect it was not the game plan that was conservative, but rather Smith's execution of it. 33% of his throws were for 2 yards or less. I seriously doubt that was Harbaugh's game plan going in. That would go over like a lead balloon with his staff, not to mention the players. Smith chickened out on most throws and checked down to RBs and WR's near the line of scrimmage as a frequently used safety valve.

33% = 5
You like to complain about percentages being used to reflect a number larger than the actual, yet here you are doing the same damn thing.

wtf? I have no issues with %'s. OK, 5/15 passes were for TWO yards or less. Happy?

You made the point in the Lot a while back, you know, the Lot, where you do provide some insight along with your entertaining threads. Every time you come talk football you seem to lose your head. It is bazaar really.

It's only "bazaar" because my standards are way above that of most posters. It doesn't mean I'm better than anyone or that I think I'm better than anyone. Seriously, I think I lose years off my life posting here. I don't understand why fans are so easily satisfied with below average performances so long as we get a win. f**k that. Alex is a #1 overall draft pick and he's had a Tim Couch career so far, and somehow you guys are good with that. He needs to be lighting things up, playing like a top 5 or at least top 10 QB. He also needs to be held accountable, something which people here aren't willing to do, for reasons I don't understand.

Satisfied? I think it's more akin to having realistic expectations. Alex isn't going to be any more than a glorified game manager at best (possibly more when he over comes his need for a cerebral understanding, after two or three years worth of absorbing). People are entirely within the right to be happy and temporarily satisfied with a win and a 90.5 qb rating. He's a stop-gap QB, look at it from any other perspective than that and you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Quit with the expectations of a 1st overall pick from almost six years ago. Look at it from the perspective of the Harbaugh regime. He was one of the best free-agent QBs available, that we're going to use to experience some winnable football until a future quarterback is groomed. And if we're lucky enough, Harbaugh might be able to work some magic on.

You're reminding me of the old fans at candlestick who smuggle expensive chardonnays in their catheter bags and complain whenever there is cheering for anything other than a super bowl.

I have never bashed the espn qbr system. I'm a supporter. Whatever stat Smith gets there, he gets and I support. Right now, he ranks high. I hope he stays there. The best predictor of the future is the past, and the past indicates he will not stay there. It has become apparent, however, that the new espn qbr rating system does not take into account yards per pass, or if it does, it gives it very little formula weight, either of which is surprising.

You were just saying he played bad after the game, now you're saying he played well and needs to keep it up?
Alex played well enough for us to win... But I agree with what was mentioned earlier in this thread "he won by not fu*king up", no fumbles, no pics, no typical boneheaded mistakes. does this QBR make him great? No. does it make him good enough to win with at this point? Yes. Also previously mentioned..."playing to not fu*k up" will not cut it against the cowgirls!!
[ Edited by MertonHanksneck on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM ]
I really like guys like 49ersallday and Memphis as posters, and I consider them very knowledgable, more so than me. And I dont mean to be disrespectful......

BUT,

Their defense of Smith absolutly makes me crazy. The game plan that Smith ran yesterday could have easily been executed by any decent NFL QB. If he was an investment he would be described as low risk/ low reward. If guys like Brady and Brees are Apple stock (shot out to Tico), Alex Smith is a savings account or a bank CD. In fact, that defines his whole career.

Yesterday's performance was ok, but nothing to write home about. And regardless of what the QBR stat says, that was not a top ten performance. I believe that a number of guys on that list would of had a better QBR given the exact same game plan. Of course, that is just my humble opinion. Harbaugh clearly designed a game plan that would insulate Alex from failure. Low risk/ low reward, of which Alex is the master.

I'm just curious, how many people on the Zone actually watch other teams play? Because a lot of throws that the zone seems to get excited about are pretty standard around the rest of the league.
Some people are so pathetic they'd b***h if they were getting hung witha new rope . Alex didn't make any boneheaded mistake (look at Tony Romo and what he did last night) Alex managed the game how Harbaugh wanted him to plain and simple ( pun intented) and we one .For all the people saying our special teams won the game ( correct me if I'm wrong ) the special teams is a part of the team right ,if your defense is down you offense tries to get you the win or vice versa ,(It just so happens we were winning the game before the two returns).Thats why they call it a team if one part is not doing good the other part tries to make up for it. DUH!!!
Now lets kick the s@@t out of the cowgirls sunday that is our next objective. If Alex makes a boneheaded mistake or when he does then I'll piss and moan until then a win is a win no matter how you look at it .Just glad we survived week one with no serious injuries " NINERS "
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

What about Matt Cassel? In his first year with the cheifs he put up 3,200 yards, 27 tds, and 7 ints. Thats pretty good for a second in a new system. Are you going to say Charlie Weiss is that much better then Norv Turner or Mike Martz? Maybe Todd Haley is a beast and thats why Cassel suceeded.

It couldn't possibly be that Matt Cassell is a good QB could it?
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone