There are 187 users in the forums

"What's Changed?" - thru Game 4 of 2011

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Night and Day from the previous 4 coordinators. Offensive that is. Now you see Alex making audibles at the line. You never saw that before.

Yep. There was that one play where Alex was under center for several seconds then boom, he pulls out and goes into the gun. It was so abrupt and delayed, I thought he false-started himself. lol.

It almost made me jump in my seat and I bet it surprised the defense too that he did that.

Alex? The Niners? GTFO!

More shifts and formations. Good hard counts. Yeah looks like he has a better grasp on the offense.

Hey Joe, can't totally agree with ya. Alex didn't get sacked once or picked. So it wasn't the same result
Night and Day from the previous 4 coordinators. Offensive that is. Now you see Alex making audibles at the line. You never saw that before.

Yep. There was that one play where Alex was under center for several seconds then boom, he pulls out and goes into the gun. It was so abrupt and delayed, I thought he false-started himself. lol.

It almost made me jump in my seat and I bet it surprised the defense too that he did that.

Alex? The Niners? GTFO!

More shifts and formations. Good hard counts. Yeah looks like he has a better grasp on the offense.

Hey Joe, can't totally agree with ya. Alex didn't get sacked once or picked. So it wasn't the same result

There were games last year when he got very good blocking but the conservative game plan never helped. Same result meaning we barely beat a team we dominated in the first half. That team owned us on halftime adjustments, gets the game close and we sit on it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I really hope Harbaugh kept it simple due to confidence over SEA and would have showed a more complicated offense if we were playing a team like DAL. If he did, then that's some serious balls. I still think it is funny that he's getting so much credit for a conservative plan because our defense was playing well but Nolan and Singletary were never given any praise for a conservative plan when our defense is playing well.

Results are still the same.

I believe Nolan and Singletary also got initial credit for conservative gameplans built off rushing and a stout D. The criticism came later as a result of failure to evolve and adapt as other teams adjusted to us or our D started to falter, both through the course of a single game and through the course of a season. Harbaugh may be starting out the same, but the hope is that the systems are slowly being built to where all facets of the team are going to be sophisticated and adaptable, and gives us a fighting chance against what all the teams will throw at us thru the course of the season. Incremental change now, though not immediately showing results, may pay off big dividends in the long run. We're looking out for those signs, subtle as they may be.
That time alex audibled when we came out in an I, then went to a spread form. The seahawks defense had a brief WTF, before they adjusted. I wish he had done that, and snapped the ball quick, before they realized what was going on.
I really hope Harbaugh kept it simple due to confidence over SEA and would have showed a more complicated offense if we were playing a team like DAL. If he did, then that's some serious balls. I still think it is funny that he's getting so much credit for a conservative plan because our defense was playing well but Nolan and Singletary were never given any praise for a conservative plan when our defense is playing well.

Results are still the same.

I believe Nolan and Singletary also got initial credit for conservative gameplans built off rushing and a stout D. The criticism came later as a result of failure to evolve and adapt as other teams adjusted to us or our D started to falter, both through the course of a single game and through the course of a season. Harbaugh may be starting out the same, but the hope is that the systems are slowly being built to where all facets of the team are going to be sophisticated and adaptable, and gives us a fighting chance against what all the teams will throw at us thru the course of the season. Incremental change now, though not immediately showing results, may pay off big dividends in the long run. We're looking out for those signs, subtle as they may be.

I have a feeling our offense is going to stay basic this year and that the main reason it has been basic prior years is due to OC turnover. An offense is not going to magically appear on call and I don't think Harbaugh is hiding cards in games when it actually matters. I don't think we see more offense until next year.
1. Coaching - we did not get "outcoached", which happened regularly under the Sing/Nolan regimes
2. "Head scratching" Alex mistakes - he was not asked to do much, but did not make any boneheaded mistakes. All the FF junkies are up in arms over his low stats, but I will take an efficient game manager with a 75% completion ratio and no turnovers, over a high-flying multi-TD more mistake turnover machine
3. All phases of the game played well - has a lot to do with the first point.
4. Alex played well - he felt pressure, moved around, made some great throws and scrambled effectively. Can he do it consistently?

I am really curious to see the offensive gameplan had Ginn not scored the KR for a TD. Would Harbaugh have tried to milk a 2 point lead, or go for more points? After SEA got within two points, we didn't have another opportunity to see the offense play! By playing conservative, I think we are put in a good position against DAL. We still didn't show much (unless this is all we have!), and it will be a guessing game with DAL too!
I think after seven years were still trying to install the ravens offensive philosophy of pounding the ball and playing smash mouth defense
Originally posted by SJniner7:
1. Coaching - we did not get "outcoached", which happened regularly under the Sing/Nolan regimes
2. "Head scratching" Alex mistakes - he was not asked to do much, but did not make any boneheaded mistakes. All the FF junkies are up in arms over his low stats, but I will take an efficient game manager with a 75% completion ratio and no turnovers, over a high-flying multi-TD more mistake turnover machine
3. All phases of the game played well - has a lot to do with the first point.
4. Alex played well - he felt pressure, moved around, made some great throws and scrambled effectively. Can he do it consistently?

I am really curious to see the offensive gameplan had Ginn not scored the KR for a TD. Would Harbaugh have tried to milk a 2 point lead, or go for more points? After SEA got within two points, we didn't have another opportunity to see the offense play! By playing conservative, I think we are put in a good position against DAL. We still didn't show much (unless this is all we have!), and it will be a guessing game with DAL too!

I'm not buying this one. We were outcoached in the 2nd half and only won due to ST.
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly:

The Good:
1-0 record.
No turnovers given - Winning turnover ratio
ST - Ginn, Lee, Akers, and coverage units, all superb .
Run defense
Pass rush, esp by DL
Game management by both coaches and QB
No sacks allowed (combo of OL & RB pass protection, QB execution, and coaching play calls)
26 "touches" for playmaker, Gore
6 "touches" for playmaker, Davis
Game planning/execution for this specific opponent
Crisp/good technique tackling by defense and ST.
Offensive TOP adequate to sufficiently rest defense
Confidence-builder for new regime, enhanced player buy-in to coaching staff

The Bad:
9 penalties
1 for 12 on offensive 3rd down conversions
Vulnerability of secondary to the long TD pass
Crabtree's ongoing foot problems

The Ugly:
OL run blocking
NFL's new rule, penalizing M. Williams on shoulder-to-shouler hitting of a pass receiver with ball in his hands
QB obviously does not have confidence in Crabtree, due to lack of preactice
Originally posted by ace130:
I think after seven years were still trying to install the ravens offensive philosophy of pounding the ball and playing smash mouth defense
You dont get it, do you? WCO doesnt mean pass pass pass, especially not with Harbaugh. Look at the '09 Stanford season. But it doesnt mean run up the middle the whole day long either.
Until the moment where our lead melt down to 2 points, we never were in the situation to play risky. Instead, we ran down the clock. The execution wasnt the best in the world but the plan itself was good.

We won against a division rival, with Alex as a good game manager without big mistakes. Our D destroyed the chickens in the 1st half but we lost the 3rd quarter completely.
Of course, we had some luck at the end of the game though luck is relatively. Ginn was acquired for those moments.

If we come to the situation where we are behind (against the boys it could/will happen), then Harbaugh will open up the playbook.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
NFL's new rule, penalizing M. Williams on shoulder-to-shouler hitting of a pass receiver with ball in his hands
??? Like I know the rule doesnt care about where the ball is. It's about defenseless receiver.
[ Edited by communist on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM ]

I'm not buying this one. We were outcoached in the 2nd half and only won due to ST.

"only won due to ST"??? Come on Joe, your smarter than that. We have know idea what Harbaugh would have done when the score was 19-17. Unless you have a crystal ball that can give me some lottery numbers, your opinion is just that and nothing more. He may have had creative play designs to get another TD or we may have turned the ball over or we may have just eaten up the clock.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

"only won due to ST"??? Come on Joe, your smarter than that. We have know idea what Harbaugh would have done when the score was 19-17. Unless you have a crystal ball that can give me some lottery numbers, your opinion is just that and nothing more. He may have had creative play designs to get another TD or we may have turned the ball over or we may have just eaten up the clock.

Considering he ran the ball and didn't look at all to go for the endzone with 6 minutes remaining and our offense was only 10 yards away from a TD...I have a feeling he would have been happy with a 2 point lead and forced SEA to try and win it.

This still doesn't change the fact that SEA won the halftime adjustments and we were outcoached in that half.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM ]

So you know what the play calling would have been if those returns for scores never happened? Please Nostradamus tell us the game plan from there on and how the team would have performed.
Originally posted by kingairta:

So you know what the play calling would have been if those returns for scores never happened? Please Nostradamus tell us the game plan from there on and how the team would have performed.

We were trying to run out the clock with 6 minutes to go and near a TD. Why don't you ask this, which team played better in the 2nd half and which team sat on it? We were playing too conservative (scared) that half.
Considering he ran the ball and didn't look at all to go for the endzone with 6 minutes remaining and our offense was only 10 yards away from a TD...I have a feeling he would have been happy with a 2 point lead and forced SEA to try and win it.

This still doesn't change the fact that SEA won the halftime adjustments and we were outcoached in that half.

famous last words...
Share 49ersWebzone