There are 145 users in the forums

Vernon "Aligator Arms" Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You see way more good plays from him than bad, this was not recurring thing, it was an occurance, I don't think he realized the ball was coming. He is Alex's best friend on the offense, they will be fine.
well if you watched this last game, it almsot looked like Braylon was his best friend, I swear it seemed like he was getting 75% of all pass targets.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Tomdsurf:
I watched the clip several times an it really looks as if VD never located the ball until much to late to make a play on it. In addition i feel he was staring directly into the sun based on the shadows on the ground and the direction the ball was coming from. I would love to hear from him on the play because it looks like the sun was part of the problem to me.

Vernexcuses.

lol
  • Jiks
well if you watched this last game, it almsot looked like Braylon was his best friend, I swear it seemed like he was getting 75% of all pass targets.

Alex targeted Vernon 6 out of 20 pass attempts.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
lol
An excuse for sure. But you cant catch what you cant see.

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by Tomdsurf:
I watched the clip several times an it really looks as if VD never located the ball until much to late to make a play on it. In addition i feel he was staring directly into the sun based on the shadows on the ground and the direction the ball was coming from. I would love to hear from him on the play because it looks like the sun was part of the problem to me.

Vernexcuses.

lol
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
I can't find a video of it but if you saw the game, you saw...clear as day. Alex shows great touch by dropping a ball beautifully in between coverage...VD sees the safety coming and tucks his arms in and lets it fall...

Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, Dwight Clark...this is the class of tight end that Vernon belongs in but not if he won't take a hit to make the catch.

Alex threw a similarly great ball to Morgan in between two defenders down the sidelines and he went up, exposed his body, and made a perfect catch with his body...

Just sayin...

No, after seeing the replay, the defender grabed his arms. It look like he aligatored it, but the CB clearly interfered with him. Are we watching the same film?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by kingairta:
The only angle I caught was head on so I had no depth perception if that ball was anywhere near catchable.

The replay was also difficult to tell how far he had to reach. If he had to dive to get it, he would have been diving directly into a defender who had a full head of steam. Compound that with another defender pulling him back a little at the time...probably a little unfair for armchair coaches to start ripping him on that play.
Originally posted by mayo49:
No, after seeing the replay, the defender grabed his arms. It look like he aligatored it, but the CB clearly interfered with him. Are we watching the same film?

I saw both, actually i saw three things.

1. first I believe the throw was probably out of his reach even if he wasnt pi'd with
2. he got Pi'd with
3. He did aligator arm it, he didn't give his all going for it.
I'm on the fence with VD pulling them gator arms. i swore he was held by his shoulder pads thus slowing him up but I also believe VD didn't do much to go after the ball with authority to even get a P.I called. hope that made sense.
He may have gone alligator arms on that ONE play. Did it cost the Niners the game? No, therefore.......................TURN THE PAGE!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He may have gone alligator arms on that ONE play. Did it cost the Niners the game? No, therefore.......................TURN THE PAGE!

He doesn't do that very often either, he has taken some huge hits and held onto the ball before, he gets a pass. Besides, he is going to have to see that in front of all his team mates during film study, he is going to be at least a little embarrassed and will likely play even harder vs Dallas.

VD has gotten decapitated going over the middle for balls thrown into double and triple coverage. Give the guy some slack.
Note: I am a huge fan of V. Davis so it pains me to write the following:
Braylon Edwards looks like he fights more for YAC than Vernon does. On his first reception yesterday he just kinda did the QB slide into Seattle's DB's a la Deion Sanders-business decision. He just didn't seem like he was playing with the same intensity as I've seen him play with in the past.

IDK, just going off his tweets, he seems to be more about flash than substance which is not a crime. I follow his tweets and PWilly's tweets-only 2 9er's tweets I follo;). The contrast between the 2 is stark. I know the guy works hard but he also seems to be launching this line or that line trying to parlay his football accomplishments into some side money. For me it just seems a bit premature. There's so much book left to be written on this guy's career and it just seems like he's already trying to cash in. He needs to put all of his focus on football while he has his health and vitality. The rest will follow.
He was probably shocked Alex threw the ball to him. He was waaay beyond Alex's 10 yard comfort zone.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Note: I am a huge fan of V. Davis so it pains me to write the following:
Braylon Edwards looks like he fights more for YAC than Vernon does. On his first reception yesterday he just kinda did the QB slide into Seattle's DB's a la Deion Sanders-business decision. He just didn't seem like he was playing with the same intensity as I've seen him play with in the past.

IDK, just going off his tweets, he seems to be more about flash than substance which is not a crime. I follow his tweets and PWilly's tweets-only 2 9er's tweets I follo;). The contrast between the 2 is stark. I know the guy works hard but he also seems to be launching this line or that line trying to parlay his football accomplishments into some side money. For me it just seems a bit premature. There's so much book left to be written on this guy's career and it just seems like he's already trying to cash in. He needs to put all of his focus on football while he has his health and vitality. The rest will follow.

Agreed, granted though whenever a niner fights for more yards, they usually fumble. So i was waiting for the ball to pop out when braylon was fighting earl thomas for more yards.

he was trying hard to set an aggressive tone, that some or most of our offense didnt' follow.
What are you guys talking about? He's the best TE in the league.....
Share 49ersWebzone